• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

What I read,was that the more humid it is, the ability to sweat pretty much goes away, because the air is so moist, your body literally can't get rid of the perspiration. And that's why people get heatstroke,you simply can't sweat to cool yourself. I've had heatstroke a few times, it's horrible.
That's correct as far as I'm aware, air has limited capacity for moisture (again, that depends on temperature, hotter air can absorb more). Good ventilation to circulate that all the time is a must.

It'll likely be 4080 10% faster for 10% more monies. It feels like people didn't learn the lesson of how this works, yet. :p

Why? It could very well turn out to be that but if we look at history of previous gpus and prices:

2080ti £1k+ - 3070/3080 - £450/650
3090 £1400 - 4070/4070ti - £700/800 iirc -

4080 surpassed the 3090 by a decent chunk and came in at £1200 iirc? Then nvidia realised their **** up and relaunched it for £900, can't see them doing that again.

Why not?

It could very well turn out to be that but if we look at history of previous gpus and prices:

Just theory pricing that small minority of gamers was able to buy these for on release. In practice you had to wait months to get preorder (if ever) or it was much higher price than that. Also, Nvidia learned very well people can and will spend much more than that. Should I also quote yet again words of Nvidia CEO saying such cheap GPUs as 4090 will never happen again? :) And don't forget big inflation that happened since. I wouldn't count on any sensible pricing at all, they are a monopoly and where will you go? To AMD? You will pay Nvidia price when they release or wait to pay even more later - that is the monopoly choice.

Last edited:
Why not?

Just theory pricing that small minority of gamers was able to buy these for on release. In practice you had to wait months to get preorder (if ever) or it was much higher price than that. Also, Nvidia learned very well people can and will spend much more than that. Should I also quote yet again words of Nvidia CEO saying such cheap GPUs as 4090 will never happen again? :) And don't forget big inflation that happened since. I wouldn't count on any sensible pricing at all, they are a monopoly and where will you go? To AMD? You will pay Nvidia price when they release or wait to pay even more later - that is the monopoly choice.

Well given the **** that was thrown at nvidia for the original 4080 and it basically selling poorly, it wouldn't be wise to try and do the same thing but of course, it's nvidia.

We don't have covid/lockdown and a mining craze right now and ai has levelled of along with dedicated products for that/enterprise level.

If they do what you think, well that is going to show in their sales and loss of marketshare so expect to see reduced prices or a refresh down the line.

When was that comment made by Jenson? If near the start when AI craze started then yeah a valid comment but given it is/has levelled of, those words won't be as valid now imo.

Well given the **** that was thrown at nvidia for the original 4080 and it basically selling poorly, it wouldn't be wise to try and do the same thing but of course, it's nvidia.
That sounds like you assume they cared much for the gaming market at the point - most of the production went to enterprise anyway so it didn't bother them much they sell slowly as production was low anyway.

We don't have covid/lockdown and a mining craze right now and ai has levelled of along with dedicated products for that/enterprise level.

Mining on GPUs is dead, though I see more and more people claiming mining on CPUs (AMD) is again profitable. That said, Nvidia has orders for ai hardware for a long time ahead as they can't produce them fast enough as is anyway - new orders might have slowed down but old ones still there for years ahead, last they claimed. So from their standpoint, it didn't level off or slow down.

If they do what you think, well that is going to show in their sales and loss of marketshare so expect to see reduced prices or a refresh down the line.
The only true things that could affect it now is the whole big inveatigation into monopoly in AI market that just began and that battered their stock prices. Might make them think twice about certain behaviour. We'll see.

When was that comment made by Jenson? If near the start when AI craze started then yeah a valid comment but given it is/has levelled of, those words won't be as valid now imo.
Relatively early, yes, but not at much because of AI but aimed at gamers. He also talked few times about it later but in different words, talking about Moore's law being dead and that producing GPUs is much more expensive and 4090 is too cheap for the size so next time they will charge more for such big GPUs etc.

That sounds like you assume they cared much for the gaming market at the point - most of the production went to enterprise anyway so it didn't bother them much they sell slowly as production was low anyway.

Mining on GPUs is dead, though I see more and more people claiming mining on CPUs (AMD) is again profitable. That said, Nvidia has orders for ai hardware for a long time ahead as they can't produce them fast enough as is anyway - new orders might have slowed down but old ones still there for years ahead, last they claimed. So from their standpoint, it didn't level off or slow down.

The only true things that could affect it now is the whole big inveatigation into monopoly in AI market that just began and that battered their stock prices. Might make them think twice about certain behaviour. We'll see.

Relatively early, yes, but not at much because of AI but aimed at gamers. He also talked few times about it later but in different words, talking about Moore's law being dead and that producing GPUs is much more expensive and 4090 is too cheap for the size so next time they will charge more for such big GPUs etc.

If they didn't care then why bother refreshing the product and releasing for a cheaper price?

Look at their shares over the last few months, they have been up and down and it's because of the ai slowdown i.e. levelling of.

Wasn't the moores law is dead more a comment towards hitting a block with regards to not being able to improve performance much more outside of bigger gpus etc.? Hence why they are looking into more software methods i.e. upscaling and frame gen etc.

Why? It could very well turn out to be that but if we look at history of previous gpus and prices:

3090 £1400 - 4070/4070ti - £700/800 iirc -

4080 surpassed the 3090 by a decent chunk and came in at £1200 iirc? Then nvidia realised their **** up and relaunched it for £900, can't see them doing that again.
The 4080 only had to be 10% faster than the 3080 to be faster than the 3090.

The 5080 could be 30% faster than the 4080 but still slower than the 4090.

I think that is going to be the main increase, can't see there being much of an increase in raster workloads.
That's possible, but unless they use different approach to acceleration, a lot of work is still put onto the CPU with RT/PT. Also, more transistors means more power, bigger chip and most likely higher price - as I said earlier. In addition, raster is still important in games, as even the PT ones use it a lot, it can become a bottleneck too. It apparently already is in many cases on 4090, judging by analysis I've read few times regarding new games and RT/PT in them - as in, if raster bit was faster, 4090 could get even bigger FPS in such games. But not something I looked deeper into myself, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom