• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

I suspect the FE will be sold out again for at least a few months but the AIB models will be readily avalible, pre-scalped for your convenience :D

Last edited:
Is this your first time in the cesspool of a forum section? :p
giphy.gif

A big part of the 4090 success was that the 4080 was absolute garbage for $1200

Which is also one of the points of what I wrote - they might want to push people when harder this time, creating even bigger gap. They know barely anyone will buy 5080 (4080 sold very badly too) and most will go for mid range, as always, but at least they can catch all kinds of whales with 5090.

I think RRP is going to be £1600-£1999 and the the fancy ASUS ones £2500-£3000. I have no choice because I need the RAM otherwise I would never pay the silly prices, or have to cough up £6000 for 48Gb ram workstation cards. It would be great if they made graphics cards where we could upgrade the ram ourselves.
With CAMM modules it could be possible, without losing performance.

looks like a well rounded architecture -the rtx 5090, just hoping for jensen to not cut this any further
nvidia might bring back a complex scheduler with how the 4090 was being severely limited by the CPU in competitive gaming scenarios
so perhaps the SM organization might change a bit
overall, looks solid - just waiting for jensen to start his keynote with "my ampere gamer friends its safe.. "
Nvidia use software scheduler running on CPU for a long time - they can update it anytime they want, for all their relatively new GPUs.

Why would you assume that?

I could go out and buy a 4090 today, but I don't live by the rule of "if something gives me pleasure, no matter how much or for how long, it's worth whatever some company has priced it at".

You seem to have a real problem with anyone criticising that kind of mentality. Some people think about others, and you know, what that kind of unbridled capitalism does in the long run. It's happened many times before where people thought they were good and ended up being priced out of the top end of their hobby. Now people are even being priced out of the mid-range with gimped cards for £700.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks. People spend far more on far less than a £1500-£2000 gaming GPU that gives top-of-the-line-performance for 2-3 years and that can still be sold for 60% of the price when you upgrade again. I don't think it at all represents "bad value" for a primary hobby, in face you can easily spend more on TV streaming or satellite services per month than you would lose on the card over a period of 24 months! The halo segment exists for people with the disposable income to spend on products like this, it's not designed as a mainstream card, that's why the lower tier 70/80 tiers exist and they are still fast enough for the vast majority of people who do not have more niche performance requirements.

Saying I have a "real problem" with anyone criticizing "that kind of mentality" , when the only problem I can see is your frankly over the top negative mentality towards people buying the card, is highly ironic. ;)

Last edited:
Nvidia use software scheduler running on CPU for a long time - they can update it anytime they want, for all their relatively new GPUs.
nvidia uses hardware schedulers, its just that its limited in functionality because of nvidia's simple architecture which does not require complex pipeline mgmt, often in most scenarios all functional units can run independent of each other

Last edited:
Saying I have a "real problem" with anyone criticizing "that kind of mentality" , when the only problem I can see is your frankly over the top negative mentality towards people buying the card, is highly ironic. ;)

It's not an "overly negative mentality towards people buying the card", it's a realistic take on the current GPU market and the direction consumers are taking it with the "my feelings mean it's worth whatever nVidia prices it at" attitude. I've profited hugely from nVidia shares over the last few years and a 4090 would be a comfortable buy.

Of course, that's the only problem you can see when all you need to convince yourself that something is worth whatever it costs is whether it gives you any pleasure. It just feels (lol) like a get-out clause against anyone who dares question the price of a product, and it's not just the 4090 in question, the xx70 and xx80 were and pretty much still are relatively poor value. The RRP of the 4070 (let's face it, essentially a xx60 series card in previous generations) wasn't far off the RRP of the 3080, I mean come on...

And that is before we even get into what the "halo" segment is today and how much it has changed in a single generation.

Last edited:
It's not an "overly negative mentality towards people buying the card", it's a realistic take on the current GPU market and the direction consumers are taking it with the "my feelings mean it's worth whatever nVidia prices it at" attitude. I've profited hugely from nVidia shares over the last few years and a 4090 would be a comfortable buy.

Of course, that's the only problem you can see when all you need to convince yourself that something is worth whatever it costs is whether it gives you any pleasure.
Your view is not realistic, it's bordering on extremist in the context of this discussion. I already did the maths and the cost over 2 years is nowhere near as high as your overreaction makes it out to be. Yes the initial barrier of entry is high at around £2000, but the sunk cost with residual value taken into account is not dramatic at £700- £800 over a period of 24 months if you upgrade to a halo card with each generation. You keep reinforcing your point by telling us repeatedly how you can easily afford the card and how much money you have made (which is always a clear sign of insecurity but ironically you also brag about Nvidia shares which means you have directly profited from this very situation, LOL!) and yet seem to be unusually conservative towards how much money you will spend on your primary hobbies.

Your logic does not at all stand up to scrutiny and your argument appears to be very based on emotion and principle, rather than 'realism' or 'facts'.

Last edited:
Your view is not realistic, it's bordering on extremist in the context of this discussion. I already did the maths and the cost over 2 years is nowhere near as high as your overreaction makes it out to be. Yes the initial barrier of entry is high at around £2000, but the sunk cost with residual value taken into account is not dramatic at £700- £800 over a period of 24 months if you upgrade to a halo card with each generation. You keep reinforcing your point by telling us repeatedly how you can easily afford the card and how much money you have made (which is always a clear sign of insecurity but ironically you also brag about Nvidia shares which means you have directly profited from this very situation, LOL!) and yet seem to be unusually conservative towards how much money you will spend on your primary hobbies.

Your logic does not at all stand up to scrutiny and your argument appears to be very based on emotion and principle, rather than 'realism' or 'facts'.

My view is incredibly realistic and shared by the majority regarding the 4000 series and what it's done to the GPU market. I didn't tell you repeatedly, I mentioned it in a couple of posts and you're the one talking about overreactions lmao. It's also not a clear sign of insecurity, it was said because you stated I was bitter, as though I couldn't afford the product. Gaming isn't my primary hobby, so of course I'm going to be more conservative with my spending, and yes, I'm happy to profit from people throwing money at companies, though that's more from the AI wave than gamers like yourself.

You don't even have any logic, your whole argument is feelings over facts and any product that gives you pleasure is worth it no matter what nVidia charges. Absolutely hilarious that you talk about my argument being based on emotion when it was yours from the start. Resale value is something else entirely, it doesn't change the amount of money you tell nVidia you're willing to spend each generation as it (likely) continues to increase.

Last edited:
2k is abt lets say you are finishing 80-100 games through the lifetime of the card, works out to approx. 20-25 per finished game.. thats about 50% of a newly released title, so objectively speaking it doesnt look reasonable (but this is a GPU thread)
but dont you worry new games will soon be releasing at 100 price point, so the math will work out favorably

2k is abt lets say you are finishing 80-100 games through the lifetime of the card, works out to approx. 20-25 per finished game.. thats about 50% of a newly released title, so objectively speaking it doesnt look reasonable (but this is a GPU thread)
but dont you worry new games will soon be releasing at 100 price point, so the math will work out favorably

I've only ever 'finished' two games in my gaming career yet I have always had pretty close to top end hardware (outside of a couple of temporary peasant spells) as I spend most time online gaming so by your calculation I've had appalling value but I haven't. I marvel at how pretty it looks every time I fire up RDR2 and that is why I'll buy a 5090 (if it's under £2k). Monthly cost of ownership of 4090 assuming decent resale value is not that high and given the time I spend gaming the hourly cost is pretty small.

£2k minimum, for the basic 5090 models. 100% going to be listed at the "mindset number that starts with a 1" marketing ploy of £1999.95 also the 5 at the end just so there's no long row of 9's in the price...essentially £2k

£3k+ for the ROG tax 5090s

Last edited:
Really, high end PC gaming when broken down on a monthly average cost is cheap compared to some "expensive" hobbies. Does that mean it's good value for money though - absolutely not, but someone tell me an expensive hobby that is?

For instance, I have a friend who is in to fish keeping in a big way - he could most likely buy a top end PC twice a year (factoring in resell of the previous one) on the money he spends on his tank setups.

And don't even get me started on horse riding. You want an expensive hobby - buy a horse or 2 and then you get to moan about all sorts of costs not being value for money.

We have it easy :D

Last edited:
My view is incredibly realistic and shared by the majority regarding the 4000 series and what it's done to the GPU market. I didn't tell you repeatedly, I mentioned it in a couple of posts and you're the one talking about overreactions lmao. It's also not a clear sign of insecurity, it was said because you stated I was bitter, as though I couldn't afford the product. Gaming isn't my primary hobby, so of course I'm going to be more conservative with my spending, and yes, I'm happy to profit from people throwing money at companies, though that's more from the AI wave than gamers like yourself.

You don't even have any logic, your whole argument is feelings over facts and any product that gives you pleasure is worth it no matter what nVidia charges. Absolutely hilarious that you talk about my argument being based on emotion when it was yours from the start. Resale value is something else entirely, it doesn't change the amount of money you tell nVidia you're willing to spend each generation as it (likely) continues to increase.
Your logic is full of holes but lets just agree to disagree rather than waste time on circular arguments.

You pay the full price for newly released games? Yikes.

The vast majority of games I play I buy for a fraction of the new price using steam key sites. The PC has such an extensive back catalogue of games, many of which look amazing and eat up more GPU power, that I don't see reason to pay top dollar for newly released games unless it's really something special.

Last edited:
I still think your logic is laughable and full of holes, but lets just agree to disagree rather than waste time on circular arguments.

It doesn't take a genius to see what the 4-series has done to the GPU market, and what continuing to give nVidia the amount of fun coupons they demand will do in the long run when the xx80 is launching above £1k.

Everyone can see what they're doing, and it's not just about the halo card, as they could easily have priced the 4080 at around half the RRP of the 4090, as they did with the 3080 and 3090, and there was almost no performance difference between them in gaming.

All tiers were dragged upwards in pricing, despite being cut-down products in comparison to the previous lineups, with prices not as spread out to encourage Jensen's 'more you buy, more you save' wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom