• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Associate
If anything, I could see them just using the cutting edge node for AI products and a cheaper node for gaming chips (similar to what AMD were doing with the IO die previously), that way the product lines aren't competing for allocation.

Soldato
I don't really know what that means? What was so special about the 290X that made it the standout generation?
It was good.... i had an R9 290, i also had an HD 6950, that was good, the HD 4870 was also a very good GPU.

Is the 7900 GRE not a good card? i would argue its a better card than the RTX 4070.
R290x was about half the price of the Titan and performed about the same. R290 wasn't far off.

7900GRE isn't that different from 4070/super. Just has a little higher vRAM if that will ever matter... Has nothing to really set it aside, in a good way.

Associate
R290x was about half the price of the Titan and performed about the same. R290 wasn't far off.

7900GRE isn't that different from 4070/super. Just has a little higher vRAM if that will ever matter... Has nothing to really set it aside, in a good way.
Also overclocking the 7900GRE is variable according to social media so not everyone will get 15% gains as being reported.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anything, I could see them just using the cutting edge node for AI products and a cheaper node for gaming chips (similar to what AMD were doing with the IO die previously), that way the product lines aren't competing for allocation.

Feasible but even if they use a node that is cheaper they'll still charge a lot, The days of really good Nvidia GPU's at sane prices is over as they know people will pay it.

Man of Honour

It is rare to be able to max out space on a semi-conductor wafer with one product, hence for smaller projects/companies they do what are called shuttle runs with multiple products. nVidia would likely just produce higher end GPUs where they can fill in the gaps, resulting in lower volume and higher prices.

Associate
Feasible but even if they use a node that is cheaper they'll still charge a lot, The days of really good Nvidia GPU's at sane prices is over as they know people will pay it.
Absolutely, consumers have shown their hand in terms of what we're willing to pay and they're not going to be giving that up without a fight (i.e. some real competition)

It is rare to be able to max out space on a semi-conductor wafer with one product, hence for smaller projects/companies they do what are called shuttle runs with multiple products. nVidia would likely just produce higher end GPUs where they can fill in the gaps, resulting in lower volume and higher prices.
Hmmm, hadn't considered that angle. You're probably right, especially regarding volume/pricing :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yeah. This sounds more plausible. Can't see them exiting. Would make little sense imo.

Anyway, we always have AMD to fill the gaps. Want a 5070 but it costs £1099? No problem. AMD has got you covered with a 8800 XT for £999! :p

Associate
Can the prices really keep going up though? There'll probably be a PS5 pro in the next year for ~£600 so would anyone seriously pay more than that just for a 70 series GPU? I know people did during COVID/the crypto boom but they were very extreme times.

Maybe they'll soft exit the gaming market just by their products being completely uninteresting to 99% of potential gaming customers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can the prices really keep going up though?

If Nvidia get the chance to charge £1000 for a XX60 tier GPU, They will.

The more money a company gets, The more they want, They want infinite growth.

A company/corporation could be worth 1 quadrillion USD, That's a 1 followed by 15 zero's, And they'd still want more and more and more.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the short term though I reckon we are exceptionally close to £1000 MSRP xx70 tier cards.
You missed the boat, those already arrived over a year already ago.

50-60% of the full chip has always been the 70 range.

Screenshot-8990.png

Soldato
Everything under the 4090 from the 4000 series runs about 20-25% slower than it should due to Nvidia greed cutting down the chips

Last edited:
Soldato
Everything under the 4090 from the 4000 series runs about 20-25% slower than it should due to Nvidia greed cutting down the chips

Primarily the bus width which are mostly a step below their predecessors.

3080 320bit -> 4080 256bit
3070 256bit -> 4070 192bit
3060 192bit -> 4060 128bit

This will continue with the 50 series which will get shiny new GDDR7 with increased speed but only the 5090 will actually benefit whilst all lower cards will have their buses chopped down again.

Soldato
pc gamers be like: lol I don't care I just buy the fastest GPU, screw the next generation of gamers who have to buy overpriced junk due to a monopoly

It's just like the housing market. The boomers ruined the housing market and now we're ruining the gaming market, get on the train boys we're going to end of the line
A roof over your head is necessary while a GPU is not. Nvidia is charging what the consumer is willing to pay there is nothing more to it.

Back
Top Bottom