Bladerunner 2 (Spoilers!)

Associate
My summary after watching BR2049 twice: Not a bad film...not a great film.

Things that made the original great:

1) Sights and sounds (BR2049 just aped these and didn't really offer anything new)
2) Quality, polished dialogue (BR2049 once again had a go with all the attempted grand speech but IMO it was a bit jarring...e.g: "You tiny thing" and that bit after where Luv delivers her line in that silly rising way, also everything Wallace rattles off in the entire film)
3) Characters (There weren't any in BR2049)

Harrison Ford looks like he can't be a**ed in everything these days. Just let him sit around and wear his earring and look miserable and for crying out loud don't point any cameras at him.

Rachel
was just a pile of bones.

Ryan Gosling's face.

Also the part where Wallace
tells Deckard that there is a possibility that the whole plot of Blade Runner was just a setup to get Deckard and Rachel to have sex.

Also how ridiculous it is that Tyrell Corp ("Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell") would want to
make a replicant that can reproduce for free.

I really can't understand why Mark Kermode got so excited about it.

Anyway if you haven't seen the shorts that were released around BR2049's release...watch them. They are better than the film. There is also this fan shot scene on youtube with a blade runner interviewing a replicant in a Diner (maybe it has been posted here already) and while the production values aren't great it nails Blade Runner way better than BR2049 did.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it when i watched it a while ago, the effects are STUNNING and the film has the feel of BR, it answers the questions we all wanted to know to a point. I do feel it suffers from the same curse that StarWars does though, it came from a time where film effects were amazing to behold and you had no idea how anything was done, it added to the magic and for us older buggers the nostalgia of these films. Now we know its all computers so there is nothing that we see that truly wows us in that 'magical' way. Maybe we've all become cynical to the joy of film making.

Soldato
I enjoyed it when i watched it a while ago, the effects are STUNNING and the film has the feel of BR, it answers the questions we all wanted to know to a point. I do feel it suffers from the same curse that StarWars does though, it came from a time where film effects were amazing to behold and you had no idea how anything was done, it added to the magic and for us older buggers the nostalgia of these films. Now we know its all computers so there is nothing that we see that truly wows us in that 'magical' way. Maybe we've all become cynical to the joy of film making.

The city in this was mostly done with real models actually, but I get your point.

Maybe now that incredible effects look completely realistic and believable, the characters and story should be more important? Too many films have been let down by poor scripts because movie companies think that visual effects are enough to make up the difference. Making amazing and impossible things look real should service the story and characters, not replace them.

Soldato
There's no real excuse for poor scripts and a lack of proper storytelling tbh. Given the amounts of money required to make these films, the amount of people needed to make them and all the fierce competition in the industry, I'm constantly baffled at how all these pretty but ****** films get past pre-production QC...

Man of Honour
Just watched this now its available for digital download - I think it is a movie you have to be in the right frame of mind (and possibly right setting) to appreciate - I don't think I'd have gelled with it in the cinema - the first half is a masterpiece even if a good bit of it is aping the original but second half the story kind of meanders to a close leaning on the visuals to remain interesting.

Soldato
Just watched this now its available for digital download - I think it is a movie you have to be in the right frame of mind (and possibly right setting) to appreciate - I don't think I'd have gelled with it in the cinema - the first half is a masterpiece even if a good bit of it is aping the original but second half the story kind of meanders to a close leaning on the visuals to remain interesting.

If you watched it in Cinema you wouldn't be able to fall asleep due to the soundtrack, it got LOUD at times but it sounded so good.

Caporegime
I really can't wait to watch this again now as I only caught it once at the cinema.

Someone mentioned being annoyed with the way "Wallace rattles off everything in the film"

Generally i'm not a fan of Jared Leto, but I loved his scenes in this.

Soldato
Make sure it's not the theatrical release.

The first is also shorter. If you don't like it, you won't like the new one, and you will have saved some timed. Which will be handy if you're a Nexus 6.

Permabanned
Got my tickets for the back to back screenings at the Mockingbird in Birmingham. It's killing me knowing that I could just go pick up the Blu Ray tonight :confused:

Don
I was not impressed with the cityscape, thought it was poor, the whole thing about the Bladerunner cityscape was the neon lights, just the jungle likeness of it all, but other than that I loved the film.

Stelly

Back
Top Bottom