Blue Badge scheme extended to cover "hidden disabilities"

Caporegime
OP
Did Gregg need the bay? He can walk fine.

Probably not tbh... but if he gets a war pensioners mobility supplement or had a certain type of pay out when leaving the forces then he'll qualify automatically for one.

Yes there are former soldiers with one leg who run marathons etc.. and will have blue badges. Though they're a rather small % of the holders so I wouldn't have thought it is a big issue.

I also think this is going too far with the blue badge system. Genuinely disabled people who need the spaces will be denied by blue badge holders who don’t really need it.

Well that is the worry, while I wouldn't necessarily want to begrudge Gregg his blue badge there would seem to be a fair bit of variability already when it comes to issuing these things, I mean the strict criteria involves severe difficulty walking etc.. There are also people who qualify for various types of benefits who automatically get one too and there is the whole can of worms of how certain benefits get applied for.

There perhaps is a genuine worry that if you widen the criteria for inclusion in the scheme and potentially get even more variation in the severity of the cases for which these are issued then you could get situations where people have them for conditions that vary in severity and where most of the time they don't necessarily need them. That then requires people to be responsibly in using them and perhaps not using them most of the time.

Soldato
Roland Butter said:
Always happy to agree that people with limited mobility should have a Blue Badge, not quite convinced that
parents of a child with Autism need one, or whether someone with ME or IBS has a right to walk 90 yds less than the rest of us.

I agree with you and I have ME!

We are applying for a blue badge, people drive like tards round car parks and with a child that is liable to run and not stop or even just throw himself to the ground in the middle of a road.

If only there were a way to safely restraint a young child whilst still allowing them a little freedom.

Perhaps we could call them Reins...

Soldato
Those disabled spots must be so much safer ...

It’s not like they’re identical to all the other spaces except maybe a little bigger...hmmm

Soldato
I agree with you and I have ME!

If only there were a way to safely restraint a young child whilst still allowing them a little freedom.

Perhaps we could call them Reins...

Reins don't stop them running in front of a car, that's if you can get them on before they run. I constantly hold his hand 100% when we are out and about, reins are not enough to hold him back.

First rule of being a self absorbed parent - it's everyone else that's the problem, never you nor your child.

self absorbed? I'm likely to spend the rest of my life caring for a child who shows zero recognition im in the room let alone his parent.

given the choice of between having autism + blue badge for the rest of your life, vs living a normal life, I know which one every single autistic parent/sufferer would take. a blue badge is VERY little comfort in this life.

Caporegime
Reins don't stop them running in front of a car, that's if you can get them on before they run. I constantly hold his hand 100% when we are out and about, reins are not enough to hold him back.

self absorbed? I'm likely to spend the rest of my life caring for a child who shows zero recognition im in the room let alone his parent.

given the choice of between having autism + blue badge for the rest of your life, vs living a normal life, I know which one every single autistic parent/sufferer would take. a blue badge is VERY little comfort in this life.

Your son is so strong you, as a grown adult, can't stop him running away from you? As for the reins, put them on before you get out of the car, or before you get in it in the first instance if you have difficulty putting them on once you're there and out of the car.

Instead you want to take the space away from someone who cannot access or egress from a vehicle properly or has such limited mobility that they need to be closer to their destination when you have what seem to be solvable/manageable problems for...as you put it 'comfort'.

Caporegime
OP
I guess that is one of the issues, when you've got a wide disabled bay designed for a person in a wheel chair who actually can't use a normal parking space where cars are parked either side or you've got someone with heart failure or reduced lung capacity who really can't walk very far then it does seem a bit off if the spaces are taken up by people for whom it is more of a convenience thing to have because it makes things easier when dealing with a child with issues etc..

On one had you have someone who literally can't park anywhere else as they need to get their wheelchair out, on the other hand you have a parent who might have a higher chance of dealing with an extra tantrum/more fuss if they have to spend a bit longer driving around trying to look for a space while their autistic kid gets stressed in the back.

Soldato
Your son is so strong you, as a grown adult, can't stop him running away from you? As for the reins, put them on before you get out of the car, or before you get in it in the first instance if you have difficulty putting them on once you're there and out of the car.

Instead you want to take the space away from someone who cannot access or egress from a vehicle properly or has such limited mobility that they need to be closer to their destination when you have what seem to be solvable/manageable problems for...as you put it 'comfort'.

You seriously have zero idea of how wilful a child can be when they don't want to do something. Sometime it take physical restraint just to get the sod dressed. I can control him now, but what about when he's 10?

But yes, if it means my child is less likely to be run over or seriously injured, I will take a space from someone who struggles to walk.

Soldato
My Mrs has a disabled badge as she cannot walk without my firstly helping her out the car and then with extreme pain and difficulty. However as we are both quite young looking we get all sorts of looks of disgust from older disabled badge holders mostly. I can see this leading to several blow ups with people who do not understand that if you get a blue badge you may actually blooming need it. I get sick of the looks we get off people and the judgements, it's almost like disabled people are getting vilified more recently.

Caporegime
I guess that is one of the issues, when you've got a wide disabled bay designed for a person in a wheel chair who actually can't use a normal parking space where cars are parked either side or you've got someone with heart failure or reduced lung capacity who really can't walk very far then it does seem a bit off if the spaces are taken up by people for whom it is more of a convenience thing to have because it makes things easier when dealing with a child with issues etc..

On one had you have someone who literally can't park anywhere else as they need to get their wheelchair out, on the other hand you have a parent who might have a higher chance of dealing with an extra tantrum/more fuss if they have to spend a bit longer driving around trying to look for a space while their autistic kid gets stressed in the back.

I have a badge due to my heart failure. It almost counts as a hidden disability in my case as I look like a perfectly normal 38 year old. I use them when I go out with my dad in his van. You want to see some of the looks I get when they see two normal looking people getting out of a van and walking to the supermarket. Makes me feel guilty and it shouldn’t.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Theres also a twisted irony at play.

Too many badges handed out
Not enough spaces
More spaces made from existing spaces taken from "normal" spaces
New spaces are built further away
Disabled people have to walk further

Soldato

Disabled spaces are not what I’d consider any safer than a regular space, they’re just more convenient

Caporegime
Theres also a twisted irony at play.

Too many badges handed out
Not enough spaces
More spaces made from existing spaces taken from "normal" spaces
New spaces are built further away
Disabled people have to walk further

Which is my point. The spaces are a finite resource which should be reserved for those who truly need them as they have no other choice.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with this and technically I'm classed as disabled myself. I'd much rather see disabled parking spots go to people who have real physical mobility issues. Having said that someone mentioned doing it something like the PIP standard / enhanced rate. You can, in fact, be perfectly physically healthy but still get the PIP enhanced rate for mobility, so that isn't a great example to use.

Edit: I sympathise with @LizardKing though. Unless you have real experience with autism, it is hard to imagine how difficult it can be.

Soldato
Which is my point. The spaces are a finite resource which should be reserved for those who truly need them as they have no other choice.

There never seems to be a shortage of disabled spaces anywhere I park. 20-30% full at most.

The only issue I can see is the bays closest to the store are often occupied, meaning people with a disability have to travel a bit further once they've left their vehicle.

Caporegime
There never seems to be a shortage of disabled spaces anywhere I park. 20-30% full at most.

The only issue I can see is the bays closest to the store are often occupied, meaning people with a disability have to travel a bit further once they've left their vehicle.

A lot of the town's up here are ex mining and industrial towns. Lung issues are rampant as are knackered legs and backs. The spaces tend to be heavily occupied by those who, sadly, actually require them.

Soldato
He is my responsibility I have never said otherwise, its also the responsibility of other drivers to drive safely in a car park but I have no control over that, it takes a split second for a child to run. i'll emphasis again, he has zero awareness to his surrounding and will have no issue running infront of a car. Disabled bays give the room to fully open the door and give a good working space that is otherwise restricted in normal bays

But the whole point of disabled bays is to allow a disabled person (who he is) to get out and about and enjoy the freedoms that other able body people do. so your saying he is not entitled to that?

Surely fully opening the door is less safe as there’s an increased risk he could get out

Imo it is no safer parking in a disabled bay, it only offers more convenience , which to me is not an appropriate use

Caporegime
Surely fully opening the door is less safe as there’s an increased risk he could get out

Imo it is no safer parking in a disabled bay, it only offers more convenience , which to me is not an appropriate use
I kind of agree. I would be mightily peed off if I couldn’t get a disabled space because it’s been taken up by a five year old in good physical condition. It’s just not right.

Back
Top Bottom