Blue Planet 2

Caporegime
AS with most of the Attenborough programmes in the last few years, I really struggle with the sounds balance through my Canton soundbar whereby the sounds effects are as loud (or louder) than his narration. Has anyone else had problems hearing what Attenborough is saying above the music and background sound?

No problems on my separates.

Soldato
Would have like to have seen more of the sperm whale segment but I suppose the cameras they stick to them can't see well in low light, and a full 30 seconds on Great White Sharks felt more like a cameo.

Soldato
Last nights episode had some amazing camera work. Agree that the Sperm Whale section needed MOAR footage as it was quite an insightful section on the show. Great episode all round again - they even made me feel sorry for those pesky birds...

Associate
i thought only problem with this episode was when the section on plastic in the oceans.

it just wasn't long enough or showed enough of marine lifes struggles with it and could have really touched home with the millions of people watching.

Associate
AS with most of the Attenborough programmes in the last few years, I really struggle with the sounds balance through my Canton soundbar whereby the sounds effects are as loud (or louder) than his narration. Has anyone else had problems hearing what Attenborough is saying above the music and background sound?

i could barely hear the narration on my LG tv i had a surround setting enabled turned that off so it's just stereo and it's okay might try watching with my amp just watching it seen a fish with a see thru skull barrel eye amazing creatures.

gEd

gEd

Associate
i could barely hear the narration on my LG tv i had a surround setting enabled turned that off so it's just stereo and it's okay might try watching with my amp just watching it seen a fish with a see thru skull barrel eye amazing creatures.

The thing is, if the broadcast were in 5.1, I would put it down to a problem with my downmixing to 2.0 but the audio is in 2.0.. I just watched the first few mins of ep. on the PC with a soundstick setup and the narration is again definitely quieter than the music and sound effects.

Audio #1
ID : 6602 (0x19CA)
Menu ID : 17540 (0x4484)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : LATM
Codec ID : 17
Duration : 1 h 4 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -1 s 380 ms
Language : English

Soldato
The thing is, if the broadcast were in 5.1, I would put it down to a problem with my downmixing to 2.0 but the audio is in 2.0.. I just watched the first few mins of ep. on the PC with a soundstick setup and the narration is again definitely quieter than the music and sound effects.
I'm pretty sure I'm getting it in 5.1, atleast on iPlayer rather than direct on TV which is how I've watched most of the episodes. I'm currently running without a centre speaker and the AV Receiver is downmixing the centre across the fronts, I can hear the music/water/fish/etc through all speakers, but clearly hear Attenborough through the fronts.

It was a great series to watch, shame it's finished. Will definitely rewatch it!

Soldato
Not had any issues with the sound levels on my LG setup, using soundbar and without it.

Shame it's already finished as I would have liked them to go into parts they didn't really cover this season, hopefully we'll get another series before the inevitable happens.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I'm pretty sure I'm getting it in 5.1, atleast on iPlayer rather than direct on TV which is how I've watched most of the episodes. I'm currently running without a centre speaker and the AV Receiver is downmixing the centre across the fronts, I can hear the music/water/fish/etc through all speakers, but clearly hear Attenborough through the fronts.

It was a great series to watch, shame it's finished. Will definitely rewatch it!

Ah, I found the problem. My recordings (from Freeview HD tuner in my HTPC) ARE in 5.1 format, so I DO have a downmixing problem.
MPS-HC says "Channel(s): 2 channels" but VLC says the recordings are actually in 5.1 (which I think the original Planet Earth was iirc).
So I need to go away and fix my downmixing in the LAV audio decoder. Then I can start watching it - I've not bothered to watch the series so far as the audio problems were spoiling our enjoyment of it.
cheers.

Caporegime
It does look really good for the most part, but I did also notice some noise/artifacting around fast moving objects, like birds in flight.

I guess BBC have a bit of work to do with their HLG streaming.

Caporegime
It does look really good for the most part, but I did also notice some noise/artifacting around fast moving objects, like birds in flight.

I guess BBC have a bit of work to do with their HLG streaming.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, however, some scenes though almost had me wiping my eyes at how good they look, it's like looking through glass and being there in person, things like fog and shades of blue in the ice are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom