Blue Planet 2

Man of Honour
And yet there's threads here full of people saying the license fee is a rip off...
It's funny how the only people who have said anything in this thread support it. However it is a rip off, a couple of season a year on a good year at like £7 each isn't worth paying 130+ or what ever it is now.

Soldato
I full expect this to be the same as PE2 a mishmash of stuff we've already seen on so many variations of Attenboroughs other shows.
Not as excited after I felt let down by that.

Soldato
If you like Mr Zimmer he (&radiohead) seems to be doing the Music for Mr Attenborough new Blue Planet II series BBC RB1 20:40-22:00
...can't the animal speak for themselves.

Are they filming this at a decent 60Hz framerate ?

Soldato
If you listened to R4 today this morning 8:50 article about noise pollution in the sea, disturbing animals, they played the sounds the whales/dolphins etc make
I would hope they play some of this during the series ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
They got some amazing footage. That bird narrowly escaping the fish was incredible. As was the cameraman on the jet-ski at the end trying to out-run that wave. It looked pretty hairy.

Also the Tusk fish breaking a shell open, and the fish that changed gender.

Looks like there's going to be some really weird stuff next week in the deep ocean.

Caporegime
And relating to the section on the Walrus mother and baby - and the lack of available ice due to global warming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41778089

I went to Sedgewick Museum last week in Cambridge as they had a big feature on the Ice age and they had a huge piece on the sea level from the last 240 million years. Most of the graph was well above 100m metres higher than it is today and a huge portion nearly 200m higher. Only a period 200-240 million years ago was the sea level as low as it is now. Quite why we think we can hold it back I don't know. I will add the picture later if I remember and have more time.

Caporegime
I went to Sedgewick Museum last week in Cambridge as they had a big feature on the Ice age and they had a huge piece on the sea level from the last 240 million years. Most of the graph was well above 100m metres higher than it is today and a huge portion nearly 200m higher. Only a period 200-240 million years ago was the sea level as low as it is now. Quite why we think we can hold it back I don't know. I will add the picture later if I remember and have more time.

No one is trying to hold back natural change. It’s the man made change that’s the issue. One of the big points is the rate of change, rather than absolute change. The rate of change far exceeds any other no cataclysmic events we know of.

Same goes for the rate of species extinction. We are in/heading for the sixth great extinction event, caused mainly by us. Man.

That means humans are basically the same as giant meteors and massive volcanic fissure eruptions in the destroying worlds scheme of things. If you’re interested in something like the blue planet then TBH you should be concerned. If not then this type of TV series probably isn’t of interest to you.

Really enjoyed the episode. The fish catching birds was pretty cools although I get the feeling they were so excited to get so much great footage of the fish leaping they had to cram as much in as possible. :D

Permabanned
Finally found the time to catch up with it last night.

What can you say... just superb television.

Not ashamed to say I shed a few tears throughout the episode. Twas the same with 'The Hunt'. Certain shot, score and narrative combinations can hit me really hard directly in the feels. Twas the false killers + dolphin scene this episode as well as the last 10 minutes in general.

Soldato
Sounds about right to me. The sooner humankind dies out then the better off this planet will be.

Really? There have been 5 massive extinctions that have happened with no humans around to influence them. If Humans weren't here there probably would have been a major ice age around now. Of course this doesn't included the massive floods, storms, Volcanos or earthquakes that have happened and future events that could happen. The threat of one of the Super Caldera exploding for example.

Please explain how much better off the Planet would be? Have we done terrible things? Yes we have. But, It pales into nothing when you compare it to the damage that Nature has done throughout the planet's lifetime.

Soldato
I felt a bit letdown by that episode. I was hugely hyped up as I wanted more scenes of the food chains that feed off the volcanic 'smokers'. Was also a shame they didn't talk about the Mariana Trench as much as I thought they would.

Back
Top Bottom