BluRay Already Won The Format War?

chimaera said:
Personally i think the high price and the emergence of legal movie downloads will limit the impacts of HD content, i would much rather download a DVD quality movie through an xbox/set top box/PC for £10-12 than buy a HD quality movie for £30.
HD-DVD/Blu-ray movies are more like £16, and there is no viable download service yet as an alternative. The 360 is only going to offer rentals not movies to buy because of the tiny hard drive. Even if the new edition of the 360 with 120 GB drive arrives, it's only going to hold 3-4 HD movies. For a few quid difference I'd rather get to keep the film, and on a real disc. Also there's the time it's going to take to download a 30-50 GB HD movie, it's not exactly going to be 'on-demand'.

JUMPURS said:
Are the access times quicker on HD-DVD though??
Also i haven't seen an HD-DVD drive for the PC yet, are they available??

HD-DVD drives for PCs are available, but you could buy an xbox 360 and a HD-DVD drive and still have cash left over for the price of one of those things.

As for access times I think there's not too much difference. I know the PS3's is slower, but thats cos it's be given a slow drive unfortunately. The stand alone players have much faster more updated Bluray drives.

wannabedamned said:
Bluray hasnt got a patch on HD-DVD on quality?

Sorry but they are Identical.

Have you seen two of the higher end HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players with the same movies on the same TV?

Trust me, HD-DVD has the edge, Blu-Ray can look quite poor.

JUMPURS said:
Are the access times quicker on HD-DVD though??
Also i haven't seen an HD-DVD drive for the PC yet, are they available??

I wont drop 600 on a dedicated player of either format yet. But having the PS3 there is certainly going to influence me to buy BluRay Movies until i do get a dedicated player.

I think I saw some initial tests showing Blu Ray was faster accessing as well. But these were in PCFormat or CustomPC (can't remember which) back in Novemberish,, which means they'd been conducted roughly 3 months earlier so hardly up to date I reckon.

Mr_White said:
Have you seen two of the higher end HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players with the same movies on the same TV?

Thing is though, a lot of people where saying, at least in december, it may have changed now, that the PS3 was actually the best for playback of BluRay.

Is it recent movies showing this quality difference??

Mr_White said:

Were in 2007 now.

Its common knowledge now they are identical transfers with the exact vc1 encodes. If anything bluray will surpass hddvd as it can get higher bitrates.

Mr_White said:

Yes, Samsung Bluray player and Toshiba HD-DVD player. Both running through a Sony Bravia Screen. And frame for frame, picture for picture. No difference.

You can't of been paying much attention, I noticed Blu Ray wasn't true to the colours, quite extreme in some cases, especially with skin tones, nor did it display much detail in dark areas.

Just looking at them without any scrutiny, or looking at a shop set up, then you probably wont notice this.

wannabedamned said:
HD-DVD drives for PCs are available, but you could buy an xbox 360 and a HD-DVD drive and still have cash left over for the price of one of those things.

As for access times I think there's not too much difference. I know the PS3's is slower, but thats cos it's be given a slow drive unfortunately. The stand alone players have much faster more updated Bluray drives.

Ahh no i meant in a writing capacity. Was more thinking from a data storage POV. As i know you can buy BD RW's but have not seen an HD-DVD RW

why would it be different if theyre using the same codecs :confused:

there must have been something altering them when you watched it ? cable, the actual player , your eyesight etc

andy said:
why would it be different if theyre using the same codecs :confused:

there must have been something altering them when you watched it ? cable, the actual player , your eyesight etc

The HD-DVD players could simply be better quality than Blu-Ray players are at the moment, possible since it's been around longer.

But for the price Blu-Ray players are, they shouldn't be.

Both were on a QED HDMI cable, so there is nothing to affect the quality apart from the players or format.

And since you need a Blu-Ray player to actually watch them, then I'd say HD-DVD is still the best quality format until Blu-Ray players get better.

I'll shut up now before people who've just spent a bomb on a Blu-Ray player try and justify their purchase :p :D

Last edited:
was it the same movie? or at least movies from the same studio??

I am just genuinely curious about it lol As i have said where i will stand in the war and why. I wouldnt get the full benefit neither cos i only have a 720p TV. but curious to know how other folk find things.

“Going by January sales figures of 2 - 1 in favor of BluRay and the amount of BluRay players it seems logical.”
If they are including the PS3 into blueray numbers then surly that 2-1 figure is m misleading. What if 80% or more of PS3’s are not used for movies? Suddenly HD-DVD is now in front by a long way

Pottsey said:
“Going by January sales figures of 2 - 1 in favor of BluRay and the amount of BluRay players it seems logical.”
If they are including the PS3 into blueray numbers then surly that 2-1 figure is m misleading. What if 80% or more of PS3’s are not used for movies? Suddenly HD-DVD is now in front by a long way

Well it is still a BluRay player and if people have one then they will be less likely to buy an HD-DVD player.
But the 2-1 is movies sold AFAIK so the PS3 will be having a big influence on it.

the one that will win will be the cheapest

as people have said at the minute its enthusiats buying them

when they get as common as ordinary DVD players, price will be the over riding factor, thats all the regular consumer cares about..thats why there are dozens of cheap LCD's being sold in asda and tescos and woolworths..not because they are good but because they are cheap

whoever brings out the first 99 $/£ machine will be the winner

Mr_White said:
You can't of been paying much attention, I noticed Blu Ray wasn't true to the colours, quite extreme in some cases, especially with skin tones, nor did it display much detail in dark areas.

Just looking at them without any scrutiny, or looking at a shop set up, then you probably wont notice this.

I was watching in a guys living room, Not in a shop. And wasnt scrutinising in any way. As I don't particularly care which one comes out on top :p

I just wanted to correct you in saying there was a big difference, and looking at most posts in this thread, Many agree. Considering the same codec is used as some said, How can there be a difference?

As for Darkness and skin tone. Surely thats down to the TVset displaying anyways?

wannabedamned said:
I was watching in a guys living room, Not in a shop. And wasnt scrutinising in any way. As I don't particularly care which one comes out on top :p

I just wanted to correct you in saying there was a big difference, and looking at most posts in this thread, Many agree. Considering the same codec is used as some said, How can there be a difference?

As for Darkness and skin tone. Surely thats down to the TVset displaying anyways?
Did you even read the thread?

I was gonna buy the hd drive for the 360 but I would not buy anything currently on release and nothing tickles my fancy on the realease list. I was wanting the new bond film but it looks like bluray has that tied up.

The releases for hddvd is disappointing.

JUMPURS said:
BluRay Already Won The Format War?

Far from it.

Most people don't even have a HD Tv yet. I still think that when both players are readily available for a decent/low price, most people with a 'HD' tv and sky 'HD' will naturally go for a 'HD' DVD player. On here most people know the difference between bluray and HD-DVD but I know quite a lot of people who haven't a clue what bluray is, and I'm talking about young guys into their playstations etc, not exactly oldies.

I have the HD-DVD drive for the 360, and when the PS3 prices drop in a year or so I will probably get that too so I'm not fussed either way. :)

Back
Top Bottom