BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I thought the dealer replaces sensors when they do pads anyway.

Last time I ordered the front pads from BMW and then got a local guy to replace them so was thinking of doing the same again for the rears. I've got the fancy, well not really fancy blue brake calipers and there seems to be quite a heavy blue tax associated with these so went locally.

Soldato
I think we need more info :D

Oh it’s just xhp flash software. It comes in 3 stages and you can also custom tune it to your needs if need be.

I opted for the middle stage (2) so in regular drive shifts are more sooner and the tc locks up quicker too. In sport and paddle mode shifts are quicker and a little more firmer. Torque limits are also raised. I can also return to stock if need be.

It’s quite an improvement over the stock gearbox software tbh.

Soldato
Just had the car (F30 330d) in for a service (inspection 2), all went smoothly but they've flagged the front discs and pads as needing changing in 6000 miles. I've got a couple of questions really...
1. I'm sure that figure was much higher before I took it in, can they adjust that figure based on their own estimate, or is that a sensor thing and I've just not been paying attention?
2. They've quoted me £1800! That seems high, but then it is an M sport plus running 19s and quoted from a BMW dealership so I assume this is the norm?
3. I've tried looking for this info in the thread, but I'm not too sure still. Can you change discs and pads at an indy without it affecting your FSH?

Soldato
Put your reg into the BMW service site and it should give you some prices. I’ve also noticed mileage to brake disc replacement dropping significantly on occasion.

Caporegime
That's mental, must be a mistake.

New frontnfr and pads for my F10 530D cost me £280 last month at my local garage. Admittedly that won't have been OEM parts, but BMW parts must be made of unicorn tears if that's how much they're charging.

Soldato
The M Sport brakes are large the fronts are 370mm two piece disks with 4 pot calipers.

£1800 must be a mistake the online service price for them at a local dealer is just under £800

You need to be careful if you go non OEM as the cheaper disks are not two piece and weigh a lot more. Brembo do two piece disks with aluminium bells for £280 ish pads are £70-90 depending what brand you go for.

The wear estimate is miles out mine says 4000miles to replacement but the dealer measured them as only half worn at 34k, the system estimates down to 1200miles then waits for the bad wear indicator to trigger before counting down to 0

Soldato
I'll give them a call then and see what the deal is.
Looking at the report the front pads are 6mm, but brake discs are worn/lipped, advisory - repair cost £1808.16
Rear pads 5mm, nothing on the discs and no advisory.

Site says £620 - but also that "Prices will vary for vehicles fitted with M Sport brakes or Carbon Ceramic brakes (M models)"

Soldato
The M Sport brakes are large the fronts are 370mm two piece disks with 4 pot calipers.

£1800 must be a mistake the online service price for them at a local dealer is just under £800

You need to be careful if you go non OEM as the cheaper disks are not two piece and weigh a lot more. Brembo do two piece disks with aluminium bells for £280 ish pads are £70-90 depending what brand you go for.

The wear estimate is miles out mine says 4000miles to replacement but the dealer measured them as only half worn at 34k, the system estimates down to 1200miles then waits for the bad wear indicator to trigger before counting down to 0

I've just checked my e92 m3, it's 708 for my fronts so unless you have the same brakes and all 4 are being done. I've noticed on BMW's site that it says foc for battery recall even though it's a 13 plate, wonder if it's a **** up on their website?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll give them a call then and see what the deal is.
Looking at the report the front pads are 6mm, but brake discs are worn/lipped, advisory - repair cost £1808.16
Rear pads 5mm, nothing on the discs and no advisory.

Site says £620 - but also that "Prices will vary for vehicles fitted with M Sport brakes or Carbon Ceramic brakes (M models)"

LOL £1800 is literally insane. Absolutely barmy. This is the kind of cost I would expect from something like an Audi RS6 or R8, not a 330D. What age/mileage is your 330d on and are they still factory discs/pads?

A disc being slightly lipped is nothing to worry about whatsoever, it's what happens as the disc wears. A large lip is a sign the discs may need replacing, but the acid test is to get a vernier gauge and for the disc to be measured - which is what they should have done so they can present figures to you. This stinks of upselling on parts which are probably only 50% of the way through their life.

6mm on your front pads is loads - legal limit is 1.5mm. I'd recommend looking at the discs again when the pads are due replacement.

Soldato
That has to be a mistake, must be an extra 1 added by accident. I was quoted around 800 to replace the front discs and pads, I too have the blue tax versions on my car :D

Took the car to an independent who measured the discs and said they are fine, so I ordered the front pads and sensors from BMW, cams to around 90 and then paid 60 to have them fitted.

Caporegime
Just had the car (F30 330d) in for a service (inspection 2), all went smoothly but they've flagged the front discs and pads as needing changing in 6000 miles. I've got a couple of questions really...
1. I'm sure that figure was much higher before I took it in, can they adjust that figure based on their own estimate, or is that a sensor thing and I've just not been paying attention?
2. They've quoted me £1800! That seems high, but then it is an M sport plus running 19s and quoted from a BMW dealership so I assume this is the norm?
3. I've tried looking for this info in the thread, but I'm not too sure still. Can you change discs and pads at an indy without it affecting your FSH?
£1800?

You could re-line the brakes on a 44t artic for less!

There having a laugh!

Soldato
I've just checked my e92 m3, it's 708 for my fronts so unless you have the same brakes and all 4 are being done. I've noticed on BMW's site that it says foc for battery recall even though it's a 13 plate, wonder if it's a **** up on their website?

The M Sport brakes are larger than the E92 M3 brakes. They have two piece discs all round with 4 pot calipers with 370mm on the front and 345mm on the rear with 2 pot calipers so not surprised they are more expensive. Owners are going to get a surprise come brake renewal time on the new G series cars as these are now standard on many models (with a different 4 pot caliper looks to be the same as the ones used on JCW Minis, probably due to the old blue calipers having a common problem snapping bleed nipples off)

The E92 M3 has 360mm discs with single piston calipers on the front.

Man of Honour
LOL £1800 is literally insane. Absolutely barmy. This is the kind of cost I would expect from something like an Audi RS6 or R8, not a 330D

The fact it's a 330d is irrelevant to the price. For whatever reason BMW have seen fit to equip cars fitted with M Sport Plus package with absolutely insanely over specified brakes which are as good as those you'll find on far more exotic machinery.

Particularly amusing when you consider they are fitted to many 320d too :D

All that matters now is looks and they look proper wicked innit.

Soldato
Just phoned and got another quote, spoke to a guy in the workshop who brought up my car and the last job done on it - apparently the labour had been "imported incorrectly on the quote" at £1500
New quote was £474, which seems low, I asked him if that was specifically for my car and he said yes.

I'm still suspicious but now for the completely opposite reason! I bet when I do actually take it in that I don't get quoted that either.

Back
Top Bottom