BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I drove an S3 yesterday (without paddles. Seriously, who the **** at Audi buys an S3 purely for test drives and forgets to spec paddles? How are they even an option?!) and that was pretty dull as well.
Also went out in a T-Roc, but let’s ignore that :p

This X2 is on the new shared FWD Mini platform and is supposed to be like the new 1 Series. Hmm.

The days of straight six, manual box and RWD are looooong gone... :(
Real men use the gearstick not paddles:p (assuming you can do this in an audi).

Associate
Took my car in today due to the starting issue, and also complained about their lack of communication regarding the service book. They apologised and told me they would do a service as well, to ensure that in the unlikely possibility that their systems are mistaken about whether this year’s service was carried out my car would be covered.

Manager also gave me his own demonstrator, an X4 M40d ! Overall very good service. X4 is really quick, apparently quicker than my Z4:p.

Drove it into work this morning, and a bit yesterday evening.

First impressions are mixed.

As a car, having had my Z4 only for a month, I could probably drive the X4 quicker round a track. That's mainly because it just allows you to go all in, almost anytime/anywhere without the slightest hint of effort on my part. In the Z4 I would have to bring a spare pair of brown pants to do that! :p

In comfort mode it is very insulated, and just goes along. You still have the same power on tap, but it is late in responding to your power demands, which is fine as it makes for a more relaxing experience. You can still end up in 3 digit speeds quite easily and not be able to tell, had it not been for the HUD (which is awesome by the way).

In sport mode everything is kicked up a notch. The noise, the response, the steering and suspension go into battle mode. It is a very savage sounding engine, but you don't get the same kick up the behind as you do in the Z4 with its DCT gearbox. It is very flat round corners at speed, with very little body roll; very surprised at how flat it is for a car of its stature.

Overall, the driving dynamics are fantastic in both modes and deliver what I expected they would.

The cabin is good and relatively luxurious and the iDrive system much better than the one in my 11 plate Z4:p.

Where it's let down is the lack of safety features that are now standard on hatchbacks. There's no adaptive cruise control, nor lane keep assist, nothing basically. For a car that is meant to be upwards of £60,000, this is a let down. It's an SUV so would expect these things to be standard in what is supposed to be a family car.
The cabin could also be a bit better in terms of quality. There's certain trims (e.g. A-pillar) that are not necessarily in the immediate eyeline of the driver that feel cheap and can be pushed to reveal a huge gap without effort.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Drove it into work this morning, and a bit yesterday evening.

First impressions are mixed.

As a car, having had my Z4 only for a month, I could probably drive the X4 quicker round a track. That's mainly because it just allows you to go all in, almost anytime/anywhere without the slightest hint of effort on my part. In the Z4 I would have to bring a spare pair of brown pants to do that! :p

In comfort mode it is very insulated, and just goes along. You still have the same power on tap, but it is late in responding to your power demands, which is fine as it makes for a more relaxing experience. You can still end up in 3 digit speeds quite easily and not be able to tell, had it not been for the HUD (which is awesome by the way).

In sport mode everything is kicked up a notch. The noise, the response, the steering and suspension go into battle mode. It is a very savage sounding engine, but you don't get the same kick up the behind as you do in the Z4 with its DCT gearbox. It is very flat round corners at speed, with very little body roll; very surprised at how flat it is for a car of its stature.

Overall, the driving dynamics are fantastic in both modes and deliver what I expected they would.

The cabin is good and relatively luxurious and the iDrive system much better than the one in my 11 plate Z4:p.

Where it's let down is the lack of safety features that are now standard on hatchbacks. There's no adaptive cruise control, nor lane keep assist, nothing basically. For a car that is meant to be upwards of £60,000, this is a let down. It's an SUV so would expect these things to be standard in what is supposed to be a family car.
The cabin could also be a bit better in terms of quality. There's certain trims (e.g. A-pillar) that are not necessarily in the immediate eyeline of the driver that feel cheap and can be pushed to reveal a huge gap without effort.
X4m40d is for pansies. You want an X4M Competition :p

Had a look around one yesterday. Utterly pointless machine. Does BMW even make normal cars anymore? :(

Associate
X4m40d is for pansies. You want an X4M Competition :p

Had a look around one yesterday. Utterly pointless machine. Does BMW even make normal cars anymore? :(

I wouldn't call it totally pointless, but yes, you can buy plenty more cars that can carry 4 people in comfort that are better in all aspects, apart from access. If access/driving position is your primary consideration and everything else comes next, then as an SUV it is very good, although again could get something slightly more practical for similar money.

I also saw the X7 whilst in the showroom and that looks like the kind of place I wouldn't mind sat in travelling for infinity :p

The new front grill also looks good up-close and not as big as some people say.

Associate
So, as I mentioned previously I took my Z4 35i back to BMW (Sytner Newport) last week, because wouldn't start immediately. On the same day I sent the head of business an email complaining about an issue I had, detailed below.

> I bought the car end of May, and was told it came with FSH. iDrive system said last service done 04/2019, which was great, however service book was missing the 2019 stamp. Salesperson was going to find out where it was serviced and get it stamped retrospectively. After no updates from salesperson and a couple of my emails that were ignored, I sent the email to the head of business.
>Within an hour, he emailed back apologising and asking for some time to look into this.
>Within a couple of hours after the email, his used car sales manager phoned me and apologised. He offered that they do another service, to give both of us peace of mind and they could then stamp the book themselves.
> I mentioned that I was coming in on that day for my engine startup issue, and also another issue with the inner roofline, which appears to have been damaged probably by the previous owner. I knew that was not going to be covered, and I should have picked it up prior to picking up the car, but mentioned it anyway hoping for a miracle.
> They will be changing the battery to sort out the start-up issue within warranty.
> They will also be changing the interior of the roof free of charge as goodwill.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised by the way Sytner Newport have handled this. I know they initially ignored my emails, but after pointing this out to management they have been fantastic and have gone above and beyond of what they should have done, including giving me a lovely X4 M40d to drive whilst they were looking the car over.

Just wanted to say the above, as people rarely write-up good reviews.

I am now dropping the car off tomorrow evening for them to do all the work above, as the roof is coming from Germany.

Soldato
Picked up a replacement for my E85 3.0si roadster, which was sapphire black, red leather and great condition....
..... for another Z4 LOL.
This time a 2010 E89, 35is , space grey, red leather and a great spec with most options included. A world of difference for only 4 years newer. Loving the step forward in tech and creature comforts, more a GT car than an out and out sport. That said put it in sport drive mode and sport gear box and it becomes an animal
Looking at possible warranty options, drive line only maybe, It has done 72k, but is mint and full history and well cared for.
It makes a very nice daily

Associate
Picked up a replacement for my E85 3.0si roadster, which was sapphire black, red leather and great condition....
This time a 2010 E89, 35is , space grey, red leather and a great spec with most options included. A world of difference for only 4 years newer. Loving the step forward in tech and creature comforts, more a GT car than an out and out sport. That said put it in sport drive mode and sport gear box and it becomes an animal
Looking at possible warranty options, drive line only maybe, It has done 72k, but is mint and full history and well cared for.

Congrats, love that colour combo, my favourite for an E89! I only just realised a fee days ago that sport plus does not fully disengage traction, just allows you to play a bit more with the power. Also makes the steering and throttle a bit more responsive still.

Enjoy!

alx

alx

Soldato

I used to have a 2010 Z4 35is in the same colour scheme which I sold to someone in the South East in early 2018. When I see these sorts of posts always wonder if it's my car!

Soldato
I used to have a 2010 Z4 35is in the same colour scheme which I sold to someone in the South East in early 2018. When I see these sorts of posts always wonder if it's my car!
It came from the North West, I have all the invoice history, doesn’t appear to have been your way.
Is very nice colour combo.

Anyone know in the pro audio/nav you can get a more up to date album database for when it rips to the hardrive ?

Soldato
Eh? The 320d se rrp is 36.9k and without much trying you can get 5k+ off most models with one of the brokers like broadspeed. Where on earth did you get 43k from?

It was a m sport with a few but not too many options that was on the shop floor.

Seems like a lot of money for a 3 series.

Soldato
M sport list price presumably.
M Sport list price is around £38.3k so still a fair few options to be up at that price and again you can get 5k off through brokers.

It was a m sport with a few but not too many options that was on the shop floor.

Seems like a lot of money for a 3 series.

See above. Not that disimilar to A4 (£37k RRP for 35TDI sport) and c class (same as BMW £38.3k for C200d AMG line) prices. Also dealer floor prices will be rubbish, nobody should be paying those (though people obviously do!).

Associate
Going out on a limb here.

So after 2 and a half weeks I've finally got my 135i back from the dealer, after giving me the car back the first time leaving me to breakdown when it overheated again, this time they've changed the waterpump and thermostat. Down side being, it sounds like I have an air leak under boost that wasn't there before. Pipe not refitted correctly?

I know this isn't a BMW forum, but I don't suppose anyone has any experience with a similar issue?

TLDR: N54 135i waterpump fixed, now has air rushing noise when under load.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom