BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Is it a 520d? They have crap climate control as standard which lacks a sun load sensor meaning the climate doesn't adjust for solar gain through the windscreen. It should still be capable of being made to blow ice cold air though so if it isn't then something is wrong.

Associate
Is it a 520d? They have crap climate control as standard which lacks a sun load sensor meaning the climate doesn't adjust for solar gain through the windscreen. It should still be capable of being made to blow ice cold air though so if it isn't then something is wrong.

No 535d. I think I just haven’t noticed as the weather hasn’t been particularly warm, but even on max I would say it’s not cold holding your hand in front of the vent. I’ll see if BMW have any spaces next week, just feel on balance there will be a leak rather than low pressure.

Associate
I bought a f11 on 11th May and with the warm weather I’ve noticed the AC doesn’t ever cool the car as I would expect. Is it best to take back to bmw or try a regass first? I feel this would have been present when I bought the car, but want to try the avoiding the argument with bmw if possible.

Are there any known issues?
Is the AC system actually blowing cold, air conditioned air? Mine (F11 Dec 2014 build) failed and the fans were just blowing none-cooled air about. There was a well known AC compressor weld issue. Car had to go into BMW for them to change it.

Associate
No 535d. I think I just haven’t noticed as the weather hasn’t been particularly warm, but even on max I would say it’s not cold holding your hand in front of the vent. I’ll see if BMW have any spaces next week, just feel on balance there will be a leak rather than low pressure.
Mine is a 535D as well. You need to get it into BMW.

Man of Honour

Sounds broken then, 535d has the proper climate control.

Associate
I'm going for a MAF/air-leak problem - if you feather the throttle when it's starting does is start better ? (presumably you start with clutch in)
injectors - what petrol have you used ?

be too easy for the garage to replace the battery speculatively if you are paying too

It’s an auto so need to have the brake pedal pressed in. Hence my right foot is occupied! I will try using my left foot next time and feather the throttle with my right. Surprisingly it started immediately leaving from work.

Petrol so far 1 tank tesco momentum 99 and 2 tanks asda 95. Car is under warranty so they can change everything if they feel like it :p.

Soldato
Finally picked mine up again today after it was in for the EGR cooler recall and steering gear fix. They had my car for 2 weeks and 3 days which wasn't too bad compared to some people's experiences, but damn it feels weird to drive now. Going from the loan automatic 420i back to my manual 320d feels quite odd. Yet strangely, I've quite missed having my own car.

Soldato
Still pottering around in the E46 330d with mega-miles, absolutely nothing to report (feels odd posting that, I must be used to British cars!)
I did buy a 330Cd (convertible) but really don't feel like the engine and gearbox combination gel very well so I'll be chopping it in for another convertible shortly.

What are the 6 Series like to own? I spotted a 650i for sale around here at an absolutely bargain-basement price, but given I'll be semi-retired in a few weeks the MPG and other running costs (for the few miles I'll do) don't worry me too much.
I fancy a convertible but something a little more lazy, so a V8 with a slushmatic fits the bill.

Soldato
Considering doing a couple of bits to my F10 LCI 530d. Currently it's running on a standard SE suspension with 18" 613m wheels. It also comes with the M-Sport bodykit.

KtNOsly.jpg

The car is amazing inside, I'm just looking at a couple of visual enhancements and slightly improved handling.

I'm thinking about lowering it a tad and stiffening up the suspension with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. This would be a mild drop, around 30mm on both axles. Been quoted £499 for the work inc. labour, parts and full laser allignment.

I also like the looks of the 20" 373M wheels, which came with F12/13 cars. An example of those on an F10 below:

Ph1JESP.jpg

Am I crazy and will I (or the British roads) ruin the car?

Please don't hate me, Fox.

Man of Honour
Just get the 351m wheels, they are great, suit it well and don't hurt ride quality.

42GNmYC.jpg

Also, get a ready-painted eBay spoiler, they are identical to the real thing and you just stick it on the boot.

Soldato
Just get the 351m wheels, they are great, suit it well and don't hurt ride quality.

I was a bit put off by the supposed fragility of the 351m wheels (quite a few reports online of buckled alloys) and the additional weight that comes with the wheels (46.4kg for 613m set vs 58kg for 351m), but I suppose it wouldn't be any better with the 20" wheels.

Man of Honour
To be honest I really wouldn't worry about that, and in terms of weight it's a large executive saloon, you likely wouldn't even begin to notice it.

Soldato
To be honest I really wouldn't worry about that, and in terms of weight it's a large executive saloon, you likely wouldn't even begin to notice it.

What's your take on run flat tyres on the 351m's? Yay or nay? I know they have improved in recent years, but I haven't really tried an F10 with conventional tyres yet.

Man of Honour
What's your take on run flat tyres on the 351m's? Yay or nay? I know they have improved in recent years, but I haven't really tried an F10 with conventional tyres yet.

I've never actually had runflats on the 351m's, mine are normal tyres, but I have driven one with runflats and in honesty, they are pretty good these days so I wouldn't worry either way. Normal tyres will have the edge to some extent though.

Man of Honour
I was a bit put off by the supposed fragility of the 351m wheels (quite a few reports online of buckled alloys) and the additional weight that comes with the wheels (46.4kg for 613m set vs 58kg for 351m), but I suppose it wouldn't be any better with the 20" wheels.

I am not aware of any fragility issues with the 351M's - sure its possible to buckle them but I doubt its any more an issue than with any other wheel.

The 20 inch wheel in 5/6 Series size has 30 profile rear tyres. IMHO this is a step too far and compromises the ride quality too much. I find the balance between looks/handling and comfort offered by the 35 profile on the rear of the 19's to be ideal.

I have run 351's for almost 5 years across two cars without issue on both RFT and non RFT (Hi Robbo!). The Goodyear Excellence on my original 19's were trash, but I've currently got BMW Star Marked Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 RFT all round and they are absolutely excellent.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Popped into BMW today and saw the X7. TBF it's ******* amazing. But then it should be for nearly £100k

Any opinions on the X2 m35i?

Soldato
Soldato
Popped into BMW today and saw the X7. TBF it's ******* amazing. But then it should be for nearly £100k

Any opinions on the X2 m35i?

Funny that, I went in couple of weeks ago to look at a 7 for potential replacement for my dad's A8 and the 7 interior designwas really quite poor for the price, likewise I felt with the X7. Very boring design but excellent material/build quality etc as to be expected.
However I like the X5 much more than X7, interior fits with the price point more and I think styled better too (personally ofc)

Soldato
In terms of the dash and other screens BMW is rapidly being left behind when compared to Audi and Mercedes. Can’t understand why they went with their current digital cockpit design as it just looks to be a generation of 2 behind the others, wonder if any of the designers have actually been in the competitors cars?

Soldato
Other parts of the iDrive system are getting left behind the trip computer section is poor VAGs is much better with a short term, long term and one that auto resets each time you fill up with all of them accessible through the cluster and centre display.

They also need to drop the BC button a single button to cycle through all the options is annoying they should change the buttons on the wheel to allow back/forward control.

Back
Top Bottom