BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
If it's due a Vehicle Check then this is part of the servicing requirements of the car. This is the inspection part of the old inspection 1 and 2 services, it was split out to be a seperate element when they moved to condition based servicing.

Whilst I'm sure there is an arguement in favour of not bothering, if you've taken it to BMW for a main dealer service for your history it would seem counter productive to then ignore the service schedule. So, if it really is the vehicle check element and not just some random thing then I'd advise doing it.
Thanks for clarifying that, will call them back just didn’t want to pay for something I didnt need

Associate
F10 M5 £763 with a £250 excess, no Recovery (although a limited Recovery is included even if you deselect Emergency Roadside Assistance, if you read the Ts and Cs). Probably as cheap as it gets on an M5 as no lapse in cover.

Yes £250 is a high excess, but only really worried about being covered for major events like engine failure.

Soldato
If it's due a Vehicle Check then this is part of the servicing requirements of the car. This is the inspection part of the old inspection 1 and 2 services, it was split out to be a seperate element when they moved to condition based servicing.

Whilst I'm sure there is an arguement in favour of not bothering, if you've taken it to BMW for a main dealer service for your history it would seem counter productive to then ignore the service schedule. So, if it really is the vehicle check element and not just some random thing then I'd advise doing it.
So it turns out unless they do the vehicles inspection the service light won't go out, wish they'd have explained all this when they called and quoted the service price! :( Told them to go ahead and do it

Associate
Noticed a rather long crack on my windscreen, so booked Autoglass to replace it. A bit nervous as I've heard horror stories of screens not properly installed so road noise increased or auto light/wipers don't work properly.

Hopefully it will be okay, booked them for this Friday and paid the £95 excess per my policy.

Soldato
F10 M5 £763 with a £250 excess, no Recovery (although a limited Recovery is included even if you deselect Emergency Roadside Assistance, if you read the Ts and Cs). Probably as cheap as it gets on an M5 as no lapse in cover.

Yes £250 is a high excess, but only really worried about being covered for major events like engine failure.
Thats pretty good, i think my e92 M3 was similar with the same excess (and also no breakdown). I took out warranty straight from the end of an AUC warranty so not sure if thats a renewal or not.

Soldato

That is pretty decent. I'm sure my F80 is more....around £850 I think with the £250 excess as well! Like you, I'm only worried about being covered for the really expensive stuff, so opted for the cheaper policy, plus, at only 4 years old (and properly looked after as well) it's unlikely, I hope, to throw any major hissy fits!

Soldato
will be looking to buy a new car early next year when I get home (away with work at the moment)

After the 340i, I want a much lighter, more agile car. The BM was ridiculous in a straight line, but, i want some agile, nimble etc. So i've been looking at hot-hatches, small coupes etc. Anyway i was browsing ebay and autotrader last week and saw a few E85/E86 Z4 Coupes/convertibles. £500 insurance (cheap) for me on a Z4M although while smaller than the 3 series, they're still pretty heavy (1500kg or so)

Has anyone had one and have any experiences? Interior looks very dated, but similarly bland as the Fiesta St (MK 7) I'll be looking at. I've sort of set myself a max of £10k to spend; I'm not going mental again like i did on the 340i :p

Soldato
The Z4 is a decent choice if you get one of the 3 litre engine options. Not as nimble as an mx5 say but still a very good ride. Z4M's are very sought after so unlikely to depreciate much if you nab a good example.

Associate
I have one of these. 2.8L straight six. Make a nice racket, is very nice and nimble. I picked mine for £4k with 62k miles on it. Did quite a bit of work on it so it's nice and tidy, but it's a very nice ride as a runaround. I think it's a steal for that money, you get a modern car, ABS, electric, heated seats, leather interior etc -- basically a really posh little car, that can still put a serious smile on your face when you plant your foot down.
4Af5l9d.jpg

Soldato
I have one of these. 2.8L straight six. Make a nice racket, is very nice and nimble. I picked mine for £4k with 62k miles on it. Did quite a bit of work on it so it's nice and tidy, but it's a very nice ride as a runaround. I think it's a steal for that money, you get a modern car, ABS, electric, heated seats, leather interior etc -- basically a really posh little car, that can still put a serious smile on your face when you plant your foot down.
4Af5l9d.jpg

Always liked the Z3, great car you have there.

Soldato
windscreen washer fluid choice ...... I know it's been discussed before, but had not seen a particular 3rd party brand being dissed

https://bimmertips.com/pro-tip-dont-use-rain-x-washer-fluid-in-your-bmw/
Rain-X makes some popular products, their wiper blades, rain repellant and even their anti fog solution are very popular and can be purchased almost anywhere these days. Their most popular product, Rain-X washer fluid, can be the most harmful however to your BMW washer fluid filter which will eventually lead to a failed washer fluid pump.

Rain-X washer fluid has many additives in it to give it water repelling and bug removing properties. However, over time these additives can create a gelatinous solution at the bottom of your washer tank. This gel will clog up your pump filter and cause your lines to clog, your pump to overwork and fail or both. Additionally, if your nozzles go a little rogue and spray on your hood or roof Rain-X washer fluid can leave a sticky residue behind. None of these scenarios are desirable.

hadn't used rain-x but was doing some similar washer tank flush at the weekend

Caporegime
I've gunked up my washers a couple of times previously so just use BMWs fluid now. Last time they were a bit gunky I bunged some bleach in with some hot water and it sorted it (dont recommend, but was very dilute and worked perfectly).

Associate
What about adding some alcohol to the mix? That's what I do after 2011 where the washing liquid was freezing as soon as it hit the windscreen (-18C in Wales). The mix won't gunk, it's self cleaning too (it evaporates) but makes a perfectly clean glass, everytime.

Back
Top Bottom