BMW and M Power Owners

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm in the market for an M140i, I did quite a bit of research in regards to the car. But there are a few things that aren't clear to me and could do with another opinion.

- 1 Key, avoid that car and cross it off the list? Or are there exceptions to this?

- Mileage blockers, any way to check if one was installed with ISTA or potentially pop down to BMW service and let them read the key? I read some modules calculate this separately such as ABS?

I obviously do all the usual checks such as; HPI Check, Gaps between panels, Any signs of trim being tinkered with, Paint meter check and diagnostic check for any errors. I usually get asked, if I'm a dealer... but I just like my gadgets. :p

I'm new to the newer car stuff so any tips what to look for are greatly appreciated, when old performance cars are fetching 20k+, the M140i is really looking like a bargain now that my insurance has came down a bit. :p

Soldato
I'm in the market for an M140i, I did quite a bit of research in regards to the car. But there are a few things that aren't clear to me and could do with another opinion.

- 1 Key, avoid that car and cross it off the list? Or are there exceptions to this?

- Mileage blockers, any way to check if one was installed with ISTA or potentially pop down to BMW service and let them read the key? I read some modules calculate this separately such as ABS?

I obviously do all the usual checks such as; HPI Check, Gaps between panels, Any signs of trim being tinkered with, Paint meter check and diagnostic check for any errors. I usually get asked, if I'm a dealer... but I just like my gadgets. :p

I'm new to the newer car stuff so any tips what to look for are greatly appreciated, when old performance cars are fetching 20k+, the M140i is really looking like a bargain now that my insurance has came down a bit. :p
Not sure if I understand correctly, but shouldn't all cars have 2 keys or are some people retarded and managed to lose one?

Soldato

Should be the perfect time to buy these as the lease deals were absolutely nuts (£369/£369 a month). I wouldn't chose quickly as there should be lots appearing.

Edit: Check Auto Trader for 'Shadow Edition' not just M140i. It was the Shadow Edition on the redic lease deal.

Edit2: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011146124204?make=BMW&maximum-mileage=30000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=1 SERIES&postcode=al14ee&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&aggregatedTrim=Shadow Edition&include-delivery-option=on&page=2 - 7 day returns policy and delivery included (y)

Edit3: On the flip side, I think this is like trying to buy a Saxo in the 90's. I imagine a lot have been through hedges. There are more categorised cars than many other makes I've looked at on Auto Trader in a fair while :p

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Not sure if I understand correctly, but shouldn't all cars have 2 keys or are some people retarded and managed to lose one?
The one car I have in mind, the guy seems genuine and said that he bought the car from a BMW Dealer on finance (I confirmed this) and he never got the promised spare key so stopped bothering. He's similar age to me, I suppose the excitement sometimes makes you ignore some stuff. I personally wouldn't pay the full amount until they fulfilled their promised spare key or new tyres etc.

I did a bit of reading on the 1 key situation, but mostly came across fuming guys whose wife lost the spare key. :p

Should be the perfect time to buy these as the lease deals were absolutely nuts (£369/£369 a month). I wouldn't chose quickly as there should be lots appearing.

Edit: Check Auto Trader for 'Shadow Edition' not just M140i. It was the Shadow Edition on the redic lease deal.

Edit2: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011146124204?make=BMW&maximum-mileage=30000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=1 SERIES&postcode=al14ee&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&aggregatedTrim=Shadow Edition&include-delivery-option=on&page=2 - 7 day returns policy and delivery included (y)

Edit3: On the flip side, I think this is like trying to buy a Saxo in the 90's. I imagine a lot have been through hedges. There are more categorised cars than many other makes I've looked at on Auto Trader in a fair while :p

I'm not in a rush, I'm also trying to get something for closer to 18k rather than 19k, seeing as there's loads of cars that are sitting on AT I think it doable. There was a nice example for really good money locally, but my insurance was £1900, whilst now its £860. What are the differences between a normal M140i and Shadow Edition? Is it something that actually has an effect on the handling/performance of the car?

Man of Honour
The shadow edition is an M140 specifically designed to cater to the needs of the ebay market to save them the bother of having to ruin it themselves with shocking looking wheels that don't fit the lines of the car and save them the effort of having to change all the trim to black trim. The standard car is much nicer looking and is obviously the choice of the discerning M140i owner :D

Soldato
There is a few styling changes like blacked out kidney grills, rear tints (good if you have kids) but you also get the uprated sound system.

The only reason I suggested it is that the lease deals were all M140i SE at the time, so I expected to see lots of them flood the market.

Soldato

Wait patiently for one with some options added, as people mentioned they can be specced quite low due to finance deals 3/4 years ago.

I have the HK sound (but apparently it's not much different, I wouldn't know), adaptive suspension (which I like, soft in comfort and eco then stiffer and more involving in sport and +), professional navigation is nice (fills the screen area and is very useable). Heated seats and heated steering wheel... I love the wheel as it is just nice to touch (also feels a bit grippy when hot)!

I'd have liked folding mirrors, but I think thats the only thing missing I want.

Agreeing with Fox, I prefer the non Shadow ones. The black wheels just don't suit the car, like many cars actually.

Inspiration:
clay.PNG

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
@Tee Hee Johnson I'm pretty sure you can code folding mirrors in? Most option seem to be just turned off and can fairly easily be turned on. One of the popular choices is Bimmercode.

I've done a wee bit of coding, like Stop/Start memory being the main one. I've seen you can code them in, but you also need the folding mirrors which command quite a price on the likes of eBay!

Associate
The one car I have in mind, the guy seems genuine and said that he bought the car from a BMW Dealer on finance (I confirmed this) and he never got the promised spare key so stopped bothering. He's similar age to me, I suppose the excitement sometimes makes you ignore some stuff. I personally wouldn't pay the full amount until they fulfilled their promised spare key or new tyres etc.

I'd worry it might be stolen-recovered - look at the theft statistics for the m140i - also check your insurance quotes, mine was a lot higher than I expected

I got a m140i shadow just before Christmas and its been great - pro nav with carplay (added later), folding mirrors & heated seats (I thought these were standard on the shadow?)

I've since fitted a LSD which make it much better at getting the power down.

Due to have m4 brakes this weekend and then have Birds suspension package to go once warranty runs out (the reason I didn't go for adaptive)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'd worry it might be stolen-recovered - look at the theft statistics for the m140i - also check your insurance quotes, mine was a lot higher than I expected

I got a m140i shadow just before Christmas and its been great - pro nav with carplay (added later), folding mirrors & heated seats (I thought these were standard on the shadow?)

I've since fitted a LSD which make it much better at getting the power down.

Due to have m4 brakes this weekend and then have Birds suspension package to go once warranty runs out (the reason I didn't go for adaptive)
I did a HPI check, however I'm aware that a lot of cars with history aren't registered as stolen/write off's.

My insurance is 860£ at 23 with 3 Years NCB

Associate
I did a HPI check, however I'm aware that a lot of cars with history aren't registered as stolen/write off's.

My insurance is 860£ at 23 with 3 Years NCB

As long as its theft isn't written off I don't think it gets recorded, may be mistaken.

The insurance is pretty good, I just found it more expensive than the equivalent cars (s3/golf R etc.) but that may be unique to me

IC3

IC3

Soldato
As long as its theft isn't written off I don't think it gets recorded, may be mistaken.

The insurance is pretty good, I just found it more expensive than the equivalent cars (s3/golf R etc.) but that may be unique to me
Golf GTI is £500 for me, can't remember the exact amount. Although at the time of checking this, the insurance for the M140i was £1700, so might be less now.

I wouldn't mind the GTI, if the price was lower for the similar price point the M140i just seems to make more sense. Its also easier to go Stage2, on Pre-PPF models all you need is decat downpipe and ECU Flash. Was looking at BM3 Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 once I got familiar with stock power.

The GTI on the other hand to get decent performance, you need quite a few parts including the IS38 turbo from Golf R.

Last edited:
Soldato
Following purchasing advice from [TW]Fox I have just sorted out buying an F11 535D Touring. 2012 with 45,000 miles. Performance seems really quite good considering the size of the car. Surprising how well it handled too as its an SE model.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom