BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Not feeling the love for the newer shape M135i.

It's really tricky. In many ways its simply a better car - it's better built, the interior is far nicer, it's better specified as standard and it's unquestionably a nicer car to use day to day. But you can't ignore the fact that it being a 4 cylinder FWD platform (albeit with 4wd) makes it a different type of car to the previous 6 cylinder RWD one. But that's purely a BMW enthusiast thing - if drivetrain and cylinder count are less important to you then I'd argue quite strongly that the new M135i is a better car than the old one.

However that combo of the ZF8HP gearbox and the 3 litre 6 cylinder turbo engine is about as good as it gets :(

Commissario
It's really tricky. In many ways its simply a better car - it's better built, the interior is far nicer, it's better specified as standard and it's unquestionably a nicer car to use day to day. But you can't ignore the fact that it being a 4 cylinder FWD platform (albeit with 4wd) makes it a different type of car to the previous 6 cylinder RWD one. But that's purely a BMW enthusiast thing - if drivetrain and cylinder count are less important to you then I'd argue quite strongly that the new M135i is a better car than the old one.

I was originally looking at a 4 series Grand Coupe 435D, then @Maccy shouted at me for going with a Diesel.:p Then I looked at the 440i, but then got drawn to the M140i as it's a nippy little hot hatch. :D

Soldato
This isn't true, it also strong discount on list price. If you wanted to pay cash for one you could and you'd get a significant discount. They were available from £28950 after discount in early 2018, that's about 20% off list. From what I can see the GFV on the £28950 one was about £12500, very far from high! Shadow had a better GFV for sure but still miles from where we are now and still independent of the on the road price which is what we're focusing on here.

List price discounts on BMW have typically been very high.
Thank you for making the stealth edit. (I have made a less stealthy edit).

Associate
I don't really understand why it wasn't on the M140i though, usually when it wasn't available on a performance variant it was some trivial reason like steering wheel button space (Hello F10 M5).

Its one of the extra rads/coolers at the front apparently made it not able to fit

Associate
not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone had any experience with retrofitting Android Auto in their BMW? I'm looking at getting an 18 plate X3 shortly and was wondering if these MMI type devices a) actually work b) are any good and c) as plus and play as they say they are?

Soldato
not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone had any experience with retrofitting Android Auto in their BMW? I'm looking at getting an 18 plate X3 shortly and was wondering if these MMI type devices a) actually work b) are any good and c) as plus and play as they say they are?

My dad has one in his Z4.

Does a decent job. It’s plug and play, but in the sense that it needs to be plugged into the head unit and then screen, which requires the removal of some of the dash.

It sometimes throws a hissy fit, but a reboot usually does the trick.

I’d say worth it if you want Android Auto.

Soldato
thought main concern is that they/mmi dont have a digital audio out, and you have to plug them into the aux in of existing system,
which for audio quality means you are using a d2a in the mmi box, and then a2d inside the existing system to get back into digital domain for equalizer.

Associate
thought main concern is that they/mmi dont have a digital audio out, and you have to plug them into the aux in of existing system,
which for audio quality means you are using a d2a in the mmi box, and then a2d inside the existing system to get back into digital domain for equalizer.
to be fair I wouldn't be using it for playing music from my phone but mostly for running Waze and i'm not too fussed if the voice navigation isn't an outstanding audio experience :)

Soldato
Anyone here use Carly BMW OBD for coding their car? Wondering if there is a list of different coding options, doesn't seem to be one on the Carly website but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I have a Carly unit coming in the next few days, will be using it on my E85 Z4.

Soldato
to be fair I wouldn't be using it for playing music from my phone but mostly for running Waze and i'm not too fussed if the voice navigation isn't an outstanding audio experience
putting the boot on the other foot - thought you can replace the display with a genuine Android unit, too, which then muxes in the original Idrive display,
probably more invasive, not sure about relative price.

edit : like these https://hifimax.net/android-bmw-x3-g01-2018-navigation-head-unit-gps-system

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here use Carly BMW OBD for coding their car? Wondering if there is a list of different coding options, doesn't seem to be one on the Carly website but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I have a Carly unit coming in the next few days, will be using it on my E85 Z4.

Dont know if it’s suitable but for my f30 I used e-sys to code certain things, just needed to get an enet obd2 adapter and there are plenty of vids and guides on the internet.

Soldato
Isn't bimmercode cheaper (and only a one-off payment) and actually made specifically for BMWs and hence better with more options.

https://bimmercode.app/

Although not sure much can be coded on an E85 Z4.

If only gonna use it as a obd monitoring device then there are free apps for that.

just interested in what exactly you could do with one of these e-sys or Carly units.... ?

You can try out the bimmercode app in demo mode for your specific vehicle to see if you wanted.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are a surprising amount of coding options on the E85 LCI, pre facelift cars have a decent amount of options too although perhaps not quite as many as the facelift.

Thanks for the bimmercode info, will have a look at it too. Cost wise, there are two of us chipping in for the subscription so it's not a huge outlay. Plan will be to code both our E85's to our liking then sell on the Carly unit at some point in the future. Going by the Z4 owners forums and FB groups, this is a common way to do things although there is also a register of Z4 owners on the forums with Carly units who are willing to code for other members for the price of a pack of beer or bottle of vino :D

The E85 is coded from the factory to open the soft top from the key fob, but you need to code it to close. I'll also be coding mine to give a flash of the indicators when the central locking is activated which strangely enough they do not do from new. Loads of other options to tinker around with too.

Soldato
You can try out the bimmercode app in demo mode for your specific vehicle to see if you wanted.

Had a look, Bimmercode doesn't support the E85. Bimmergeeks still looks like it works if you follow the correct steps, but not Bimmercode.

bimmer1.png

Back
Top Bottom