BMW S1000XR demo

Associate
Well I road tested the S1000XR this morning, very impressed. Sports bike power and handling with adventure style and touring comfort. BMW are onto a winner with this, going by the sales and waiting list, that is definitely the case. (not to mention the mag reviews..)

2 hours to ride around Tunbridge Wells, Snodland and Maidstone then back to Tunbridge Wells. Had a play on a mixture of roads to try out all aspects, motorway cruising/filtering/twisty stuff (well I didn't go off roading with it..). Screen is two way adjustable, in the lower position upto 50 mph it was fine, after that I was getting a lot of buffeting. Lifted screen up and had no wind getting through until around 75+ MPH. I'm 6ft 1" and just managed to flat foot both feet when coming to a stop. It doesn't feel heavy at all, it's apparently 228kg (dry), flicks nicely into and around roundabouts.

Direct comparison to my S1000RR, engine noise is the same, not surprisingly. Power comes in lower down the rev range and can happily pull from 25mph in 6th without complaint. It's quoted at 160 bhp. Acceleration is mad, not the top end of mine, felt more like my gsxr1000, loads of midrange and very very quick. Made me giggle as it somehow didn't seem right perched on a bike upright and flying along at some rate of knots.

The quickshift 'Gear Shift Assist Pro' is the same as mine, only need clutch to pull away from standstill/coming to standstill. Pops and bangs on overrun, altho not as much as mine (which sounds like small arms fire).

Riding modes, this has four to choose from, Rain/Sport/Dynamic/Dynamic Pro, each mode alters not just the suspension, but the ABS, power delivery, power availability, traction control, anti wheelie..blah blah blah.

SatNav, option to have BMW's branded version of the Garmin 660. I took my Garmin 590LM and the bugger didn't fit :mad: which is some ways is a good thing as the BMW variant is not only SatNav but an on board computer too. Records things such as how many gear changes, braking distances, lean angles, how many times you stopped for a wee etc.

Suspension.. Now this was impressive. 'Dynamic ESA' (Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment). Same semi active suspension as my bike but.. Adjusts to compensate for load, on the dash you cycle through the option to allow for single rider/single rider with luggage/pillion/pillion with luggage. Also it can be changed, on the fly, from 'road' to 'dynamic', the difference is floaty magic carpet to go kart, it was that noticeable. From a touring perspective, especially a situation using motorways/peage/autobahn to get to your favourite pass, leaving it on 'road' selection on motorways for comfort, then 'dynamic' on the twisties, awesome.

Negatives? Questionable looks, but like all things what one person loves the other hates. I personally like it, prefer the black and white one tho.
Vibrations. My S1000RR is a buzzy bike, at certain revs it can numb your hands. The XR is no different, just in a different part of the rev range.

Would I buy one? Well i'm looking for a decent upgrade for the Street Triple, the KTM Super Duke was disappointing (for the price). This ticks all my boxes. I would even go as far to say it's the perfect 'road' bike. (for me at least)

Launch date here is this Saturday 20th. If you want one now the earliest they can get one is end of September.

This demonstrator was the top of the range XR Sport SE at £14750. I tried to work a deal and haggle, to be fair I didn't stand a chance, waiting list is getting longer everyday. No harm in trying :p

DSC_0522_zpsrx7c27jj.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsvjsdbzmg.jpg

DSC_0520_zpsc9mcllqr.jpg

_DSC1481_zps70dmbl9k.jpg

_DSC1482_zpsiwtgwja8.jpg

_DSC1476_zpsym67mlcm.jpg

_DSC1475_zpsayzs8ysd.jpg

DSC_0523_zps3ycvvaea.jpg

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Thanks for the right up unKle, personally I think it's a stunning looking bike, I keep toying with the idea of getting one but that bloody waiting list puts me right off, ide want one right now & not in 3 months time!.

spp

spp

Associate
Great write up. Looks like it'd be a great laugh! It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up next to the Multistrada.

Soldato
Not sure about the bike. If i wanted a tourer and had money, I'd get a GS and have easy torque and nice rumble. Not sure on the need or want for the power of this thing :/
Is it created just to take on the Ducati?

Last edited:
Soldato
A few people on UKGSER seem to have been a bit disappointed by it. I think they were looking for a GS with more power, but this is more like a comfy sports bike.

I must admit I'm tempted to try one, but then whenever I ride the GS I realise the power and suspension is perfect for Yorkshire roads!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the right up unKle, personally I think it's a stunning looking bike, I keep toying with the idea of getting one but that bloody waiting list puts me right off, ide want one right now & not in 3 months time!.

No worries :). I've been given two options as I asked if he could supply me one on Sept 1st (new reg's) as i'm heading to Italy on Sept 8th, he said no chance, nearest he could do was end of Sept but.. first option I can put name down for a cancellation or second option.. he had two showroom models that need shifting before end of June, only problem? They're early build and don't have the DRL lamp installed. He offered a £300 discount as compensation, so I've got a few days to think about it. I asked about retro fitting his answer? "Not financially viable." Bugger.

Not sure about the bike. If i wanted a tourer and had money, I'd get a GS and have easy torque and nice rumble. Not sure on the need or want for the power of this thing :/
Is it created just to take on the Ducati?

Great write up. Looks like it'd be a great laugh! It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up next to the Multistrada.

It definitely is a laugh, I kind of expected a nice leisurely stroll in the park, it's just a bonkers adventure/sport hybrid and yes, I think it's definitely there to compete with the Multistrada. The Ducati would maybe better suit GSers because of the v twin delivery being sort of similar to the boxer engine delivery.

A few people on UKGSER seem to have been a bit disappointed by it. I think they were looking for a GS with more power, but this is more like a comfy sports bike.

I must admit I'm tempted to try one, but then whenever I ride the GS I realise the power and suspension is perfect for Yorkshire roads!

Speaking to the salesman after the road test he said that this is a bike that's aimed more towards the sportier end of the market as a crossover from sport to adventure, aimed at typically someone like myself that's ridden sports bikes all his life and not wanting to go full over to the darkside! Wouldn't mind betting most of the XR owners will eventually trade up to the GS wanting a proper adventure bike.

Associate
Great write up mate, it's not really my thing.. but I actually quite like it. :) Although it will be a few years before i'm on something like that though.. although if i commuted i think it would be nice

Soldato
If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd want a bike I could park, look back at and think "That is a stunning looking machine", rather than "It's great to ride, but errgghhhh".

Soldato
It definitely is a laugh, I kind of expected a nice leisurely stroll in the park, it's just a bonkers adventure/sport hybrid and yes, I think it's definitely there to compete with the Multistrada. The Ducati would maybe better suit GSers because of the v twin delivery being sort of similar to the boxer engine delivery.

I think most tourers and adventure bikers would prefer a well proven BMW than a rattley Italian thing ;)

But seriously, I'd prefer either a sportsbike or an adventure tourer. I wouldn't be interested in half of each I don't think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It reminds of the TDR 250. Very similar in that it used a race rep engine (from the TZR 250) in a Paris Dakar style frame and body work. I remember in 1988 when this came out and there was a lot of buzz in the publications, some loved it, others hated it. Comments were the same, I don't get it, what's the point, if I want sports bike performance I'll buy a sportsbike, if I want an adventure bike I'll get a Super Tenere blah blah.

Yamaha-TDR250-88_zpsuyhzizjy.jpg

At that time I was whizzing around on RD's, so for me it was a good move as I couldn't see past the 2 stroke mist. Regardless of what it looked like, I wanted to have a go.

It's great that manufacturers are still brave enough to produce these type of bikes and I like them because they're different.

I'm going to look at the Multistrada this afternoon, which I think looks like a parrot/insect hybrid! The sun is out and I need to get some chain lube :D (any excuse)

Man of Honour
So turn up clean shaven, on a nice looking bike in expensive gear and maybe they'll buy that I can afford a BMW? :D

Pretty much, my mate used to go out test driving expensive cars when we were in our first year of uni.
Clean shave, shirt, trousers, shoes and he pretty much got to test drive anything and everything from Mercs to Jags and top of the range Range Rovers.

The best bit was he used to turn up in our other mates battered Ford KA that you had to climb in and out of the boot if the door locks decided to misbehave :D

Back
Top Bottom