BMW S1000XR demo

Soldato
Having ridden the MT09 tracer at the weekend, I can now fully understand the appeal of these bikes. Sportsbike performance with all-day-long comfort and practicality. The most off road these bikes will see is a wide gravel road or more than likely, the grass between the road and the driveway. Still more than most GS's see.

A 2010 Multistrada just jumped to the top of my next bike list, just done an insurance quote and it's very cheap for what was a very expensive when brand new, 150bhp, Italian exotic machine! £420 fully comp, 12k miles a year, licence held for a year, garaged with 1 years NCD. :eek:

Soldato
Great write up, thanks. I've been looking at this and the new Multistrada to replace my Caponord, and have my S1000XR test ride booked for 18 July at the Braintree dealership. Just fyi they were offering some deals already on the ex demos (ex as in not even up to first service yet) - £450 off list, albeit that the demo didn't come with the daytime LED.

Just how bad was the vibration though? I'd read other owners say that it is worst at 6,000 rpm, and that bar weights being fitted at first service were not entirely fixing the problem. Some also suggested that it was more noticeable in the throttle grip.

One

One

Soldato
Having ridden the MT09 tracer at the weekend, I can now fully understand the appeal of these bikes. Sportsbike performance with all-day-long comfort and practicality. The most off road these bikes will see is a wide gravel road or more than likely, the grass between the road and the driveway. Still more than most GS's see.

A 2010 Multistrada just jumped to the top of my next bike list, just done an insurance quote and it's very cheap for what was a very expensive when brand new, 150bhp, Italian exotic machine! £420 fully comp, 12k miles a year, licence held for a year, garaged with 1 years NCD. :eek:

Have you ridden the mt09? It's seems to get mixed reviews whereas the tracer only gets his reviews...

Soldato
Have you ridden the mt09? It's seems to get mixed reviews whereas the tracer only gets his reviews...

Yup, I rode the MT09 about 40 minutes before riding the Tracer, same route. Have a look in the "what did you do..." thread.

Bad points: Front suspension felt too bouncy and underdamped, and the throttle was VERY snatchy, almost impossible to keep a steady throttle over even smooth roads. Seat was quite hard, and you sit very upright. In all, would be a great bike for going out and being a hooligan, it did feel like a bike that you need to be 'on it' e.i riding fast/hard, not a bike I'm be comfortable cruising round at normal speeds, even cruising through villages at 30mph it felt like it was champing at the bit wanting to be let loose.

The engine was fantastic, and handling too. For me it's not 'special' enough to be a weekend only bike and too comprised to be a daily bike used for commuting. I could use the Tracer for commuting though, so long as I could get used to the throttle, but I think part of that was me coming from a much heavier carbed bike.

Associate
OP
Baron Von Grumble's review is up, I can't link due to his hysterical swearing. His reaction was exactly the same as mine when I rode it. Knee down, wheelies and speed comparing an S1000RR. Bonkers machine :cool:

Soldato
Haha, yeah does seem like a very capable bike.

unKle - have you ridden a Multistrada? Should be a very similar bike (to a degree - big v-twin vs IL4), similar power, superbike handling yet all day comfort. The big difference being the 'strada has been out 5 years and can be bought for around 8 grand.

Associate
OP
Haha, yeah does seem like a very capable bike.

unKle - have you ridden a Multistrada? Should be a very similar bike (to a degree - big v-twin vs IL4), similar power, superbike handling yet all day comfort. The big difference being the 'strada has been out 5 years and can be bought for around 8 grand.

No I haven't. Went and had a look at the new and second hand one at Laguna Ashford. Preferred the look of the XR over the MS. Also prefer IL4 over V twins :)

Soldato
I went out for a test ride on the S1000XR on Saturday. The day didn't go quite to plan, as we had to skip a test ride of the new Multistrada. Me and my mate did, however, get to spend a couple of hours on the BMW. I had to borrow my mate's 2013 Multistrada as the Caponord is still stuck at the dealers, waiting for parts.

I hadn't ridden the Multistrada for a year or so, and two minutes on it confirmed what I pretty much already knew - the Caponord has to go. I can't wait to try the new Multistrada, in two weeks' time, but this review is about the BMW.

Park it next to the Multistrada and the S1000XR is incredibly similar. But the similarity ends when you get up close. The seating position is slightly lower and the seat is also harder. It didn't feel uncomfortable, but neither of us spent more than 45 minutes on it in one go. The position is every so slightly leaned forward rather than fully upright like the Caponord. Switchgear and controls are excellent, and the integrated sat nav works really well, controlled by a wheel from the left grip that can also click left and right.

The frames to fasten the panniers are pretty ugly, but at least are painted black and discreet. They're nowhere near as well integrated as the Caponord's. They are hidden of course when the panniers are mounted. The windscreen is angular and easily adjustable when on the move. The display is excellent. Lots of information clearly displayed, and it is really nice to have an analogue rev counter. Settings for suspension, engine mapping and traction control are easily adjustable.

The engine runs very quietly at idle and, as you'd expect, is far more free revving than the v twin of the Caponord. The clutch is light to use however the model that we test rode had the quick shifter fitted. Once you've pulled away you can forget about the clutch until you next need to come to a stop. It works both up and down, and there's a beautiful blip, crackles and pops on the down shifts - just close the throttle, tap the gear peg and the system does the rest. Under hard acceleration the shifts are seamless and the ratios close. It is huge fun, and we found ourselves changing gear more often than normal just for the fun of it.

The engine is surprising torquey, and pulls well from just around anywhere. It is instant and as you load the throttle up there's a glorious rich treble roar of induction that is louder than the bark of the exhaust. It is close to the same pull as the Caponord, but there's no doubt that the more powerful Multistrada has it beaten at low revs. The flexibility of the engine is fantastic though - responsive and not labouring all the way down to 30 mph in 6th gear. Over 3,000 rpm the engine really comes alive and there's a very linear power delivery that's a contrast to a v twin. If you keep going above 9,000 rpm then the full power of the bike is unleashed. There's a lot of fun to be had up there, but realistically riders like me will rarely use it.

I wasn't expecting the engine to have as much torque as it did. It is a close match to the Caponord's low down v twin grunt and is just a joy. But, and there is a but, the vibration does take something away from it. It was only in part of the rev range - between 5 and 6,000 rpm I thought. But when it is there it is noticeable. My mate felt it through the seat, and I felt it on the footpegs and the grips. The S1000XR is geared to run relatively short and so this will be noticeable when cruising around the speed limit.

The brakes are superb. The back brake is strong, and the ABS Pro works incredibly well into the corners. The weather was good and sunny, and there was plenty of grip available, but it felt incredibly stable and controlled. It does feel quite odd to be able to grab so much front brake in the middle or entry of a corner if you have to, but it just works.

The dynamic ESA suspension, in my view, trumps the Caponord's ADD system by quite a margin. It is smooth over the bumps, although not quite as floaty smooth as the Caponord, but when it firms up when you start to ask more of it and delivers incredible handling. I was very surprised at just how good it was.

To sum up, the good points:

- engine
- quick shifter and gearbox
- suspension
- ABS

The bad points:

- the vibration
- stock gearing
- the price...

On the last point, this isn't a cheap bike. The Sports SE model I rode is £14,750. Add panniers and the sat nav (neither are standard on any model) and then you'll have just enough change from £16,000 to buy a couple of pints and fill it up. The equivalent Multistrada is a similar price too, and both are considerably more than the Caponord. Then again, I'm now certain that the BMW at least is also far more of a bike than the Caponord.

I tried to picture myself on the S1000XR doing the last two European trips that I've done, and came to the conclusion that I would have preferred to have been on the BMW. A long haul on the motorway would be the exception, but like most people we always try and avoid runs like that where possible.

So, a fairly confident tick in the box for the S1000XR as the Caponord replacement. Next up in two weeks' time, the new Multistrada.

Soldato
Will do! Oh, and going back to the OP's post, the waiting list is now out to December. The dealer (Canon) in Braintree's allocation was 18 and they had one remaining. I imagine there'll be quite a few of these on the roads next year, and that'll be a bit different from the Caponord where you can go a year without seeing another one.

I'm at the end of my Caponord relationship now, which is a shame because it is a decent bike. There's enough power in it to battle most equivalent BMW boxers, the suspension is excellent albeit too soft at the front, the engine note is glorious and the luggage capacity is great. But for me it just feels like a 15 year old bike in a market segment that is very fresh, innovative and better. Update the dash, lose 20 kgs and put the Tuono V4 in it and Aprilia would have a real contender.

The Aprilia support (for this bike at least) to the UK market is terrible though. We're in July and my Caponord has already spent 3 months at the dealers, most of which is just waiting for parts. There's no excuse for that.

Soldato
Have fun! This paragraph sums these bikes up:
What we learnt is that both bikes are way more than their impressive spec sheets might suggest They can cover miles, they’re as fast as 99% of bikes on the road, they handle, can take pillions and luggage in comfort and they’re rapid. Seriously rapid in fact. Especially when it comes to the BMW which on our test strip hit 0-100mph in 6.05 seconds, the Ducati hitting the same speed in 6.85seconds.

I can see more of these 150-160bhp 'sportbikes in heels' coming out over the next few years, at the moment the choice is limited - Multistrada, S1000XR or 1190 Adventure is all there is.

I think the choice for you will come down to IL4 vs V-twin, and if you can handle the italian dealer support/reliability (although BMW aren't exactly flawless when in comes to this!)

Associate
OP
Test ride of the new Multistrada this weekend. This has got me thinking ahead of it http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ucati-multistrada-v-bmw-s1000xr/#.Vcp5AXjN-vt

You'll love the MS :cool:

Worth noting MCN this week has an adventure/sports shoot out on these bikes..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/august/new-mcn-august-12-adventure-sport-shootout/

I ended up buying an XR, it really has ticked all my boxes.

I'll be going to Italy on it in 4 weeks and one of the guys I'm going with has a '15 MS. So when I get back I'll give a report on how they compared, as no doubt we'll be having a little play here and there.. ;)

Oh and if you want to see a hooligan road test of it look up Patrick Galligan - Multistrada vs S1000XR Part 2 on YouTube. I can't embed it due to his swearing (again) :o

Back
Top Bottom