BMW S1000XR demo

Soldato
They've sort of ruined the surprise there haven't they...

It's always going to be between the multi and the XR for road honours, all the others apart from the Versys are more offroad biased, and the Versys is well.... urgh. :p

I'm willing to bet it was a split choice between the reviewers between the XR and the multi with the XR just taking the win. It'll come down to if you're a BMW or a Ducati man, and if you prefer IL4 or V-twin engines.

The vibration on the XR seems to be a huge turn off though, especially for a long distance bike. Will interesting to see if MCN mention it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It does vibrate slightly around 4500-5000 rpm (in top gear is 5000 rpm is 70 mph), which I believe is what the issue is, people cruising at motorway speeds and getting numbs hands. It's random as some complain more than others, some don't have any vibes at all. Mine has definitely eased up as I've put the miles on it. Put it this way, it's no better/worse than any other bike I've owned. It's not an issue for me.

The most common cure for those that suffer vibes are to release and retorque the riser clamps to 19nm. Those that have had that done say it works and clears the vibration.

Soldato
Following on from my test of BMW's S1000XR I finally got my hands on the new Multistrada today. Less sun and less grippy tarmac than I enjoyed for the BMW but it was at least dry. Seastar Superbikes up near Norwich were the obliging dealership. Again I went with my mate, who took his 2013 Multistrada along for comparison.

Visually, the new Multistrada looks like a soft evolution from the 2013 model. The fairings are less angular and more smoothed, and it looks as refined as you'd expect a third generation model to be. Riding position is good (we took out two versions - the standard and the D-Air) and we had the lowered seats on each. The screen feels a little further away than the 2013 model, and from the Caponord too. The seat is more padded than the Caponord but doesn't really feel too different. Perhaps you lean forward a little more than the Caponord but that's about it. With a lowered seat my legs were bent a bit more but that didn't prove a problem over an hour's riding - maybe it would be on a full day.

On the base model the display is pretty spartan but still has a lot more information than the Caponord - it just feels a little lost on such a big screen. On the S and D-Air models the colour TFT screen is marvellous with lots of little details in the animation, such as main numbers highlighting as you go up the rev range. The amount of customisation you can do to the bike's settings, for traction, wheelie, ABS control, is immense, but I imagine that unless you're going to take this off road then you'll soon end up with settings that you're comfortable with and then stick with them. I ran both bikes in full power mode on the Touring setting, with suspension set up for one rider. The power is huge (more on that later) but in this mode there was no snatch on the throttle and I don't think I'd drop down to the lower power modes unless the weather was extreme.

Firing up the engine and the improvements Ducati have made are immediately apparent - it doesn't sound like a souped up sewing machine any longer! Blipping the throttle doesn't give the same bark that the Caponord has but it is still quite musical. I don't know whether it was the clutch settings but I found it an easy bike to stall - it needs a few revs to get it moving away. It might be my problem though, rather than the bike's.

The new Multistrada had no fuelling issue that I could sense. It will hold a speed down to just below 2,000 rpm without surging in all the gears, and is a world apart from the Aprilia. At real extreme low revs it felt better than the BMW but once you're over 2,000 rpm the BMW was smoother. Open the throttle at those low revs though and there isn't a huge amount of torque nor a pleasant sound - very agricultural Ducati. Move up to 2,500 - 3,000 rpm though and then the engine starts to sing. I needed a few miles to find where the engine was happy, and once I did then I started to get a big grin that just kept getting bigger. It is an absolute joy - seemingly endless power that's both brutal and controllable. It didn't feel like it enjoyed holding sustained revs at the top of the range, but provided you were moving through the revs - up or down - it was perfect. Coming down the revs you can feel the variable timing kick in as they sink below 3,000 - it becomes looser and loses some engine braking.

The handling is excellent. Not as razor sharp as the BMW but a step up from the 2013 model and significantly better than the Caponord. The standard suspension was surprisingly good, and there were times on the ride where I preferred it to the D-Air's active suspension. The active suspension is marvellous though - it firms up beautifully when you ask more of it, but also eats up cat's eyes and other bumps in a very similar way to the Caponord. It feels far lighter and easier to change direction than the Caponord, but not as sharp as the BMW.

The gearbox is great, and once you work out where it is happy then the clutch really isn't necessary. I didn't experience any false neutrals either, a problem on the 2013 model especially when looking for 5th gear. There was some vibration though, I think around 4,000 to 5,000 rpm. The base model had something on the left side behind me audibly vibrate, and on both models I had a little tingling in my right hand. Less than the BMW but it was there nevertheless.

Riding both the S1000XR and now the new Multistrada has left me feeling that they're both superior to the Caponord in many different ways, and reaffirmed my thoughts that it is time for a change. However, as with the BMW, I think it is worth mentioning the price once again. A fully loaded Multistrada S with the travel option (panniers, heated grips and centre stand) will give you enough change from £17,000 to fill it up, tax it and make a contribution to your insurance. It is a very expensive bike. When I look at my 2013 Caponord I cannot say that it is £8,000 better. But it is better enough, as is the BMW, to think about a change. I just don't know what to change to. Time for another ride on the XR before making my mind up...

Soldato
Sounds like they're both very good bikes, not a bad decision to have to make though, is it!? :p

It it helps to make the choice, think if you bought one and in a years time was riding around, pulled up at some lights, and the bike you didn't choose pulls up next to you... if you were on the multistrada and it was a s1000XR next to you, would you think "ahh, why didn't I get one of those!?" and vice versa.

Soldato
Sounds to me like you prefer the BMW, reading through your comments I was expecting the final paragraph to say you'd put a deposit down.

I got the impression that the S1000XR was edging it also, as I said before i think it'll come down to IL4 or v-twin. I know what would win for me ;)

Soldato
You should try the Versys - Bike magazine reviewed all 3 this month and said the Versys was surprising close to the other 2, giving them all 4 stars. It may not have as many electronics, but they said it had the smoothest engine....and it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

Soldato
So, second time around, here are my final thoughts on the S1000XR. And yes, they are final, for the time being.

I went back to have a more thorough 'real world' test. Instead of hooning around I made more effort to try and ride it as I would on a typical longer trip. There are some problems...

Having gotten used to the lower revving v-twin, I wanted to make sure I could happily cruise at the higher rpm of an in-line four. 6,000 rpm on this bike is only 80 mph.To my surprise I didn't find that a problem at all, probably because there are so many rpm left in the usable range. This bike flies all the way until 9,000 rpm and then the afterburners come on. It felt like it would be very happy eating up a few hundred miles in a day.

I also tested the low down torque again. A few owners had questioned whether there was enough grunt in the bike to pull out of a tight uphill hairpin in the mountains, especially two up with luggage. I never ride two up, and I didn't have any luggage today (although I did have a Friday night kebab before the test ) but there's no doubting this bike's capability for this task. The fuelling and torque is so good that it puts the Caponord to shame at slow speed and low rpm under load. There would be no need to every drop down to first gear.

But, and it is a huge but, there are problems. I mentioned the vibrations after my first test, and having read up on a couple of owners forums I wanted to really test this out.

The main vibrations are between 5 and 6,000 rpm. That's between 70 and 80 mph. I only felt them through the handlebars, and it doesn't initially feel too bad. After 45 minutes testing today though, both my hands and my forearms were tingling. Not numb, but then again it was only 45 minutes. Goodness knows what they'd feel like after 6 hours in the saddle.

Then the vibration moves. From 7 to 9,000 rpm, in lower gears, it transfers to the footpads. It isn't a problem when you're accelerating or braking, but at a constant speed it is an annoyance. Not enough of an issue sitting in 6th gear, but an inconvenience. Also, between 6 and 7,000 rpm in first and second gear that vibration also goes right through the saddle. It is entirely avoidable - you can ride this bike comfortably in any gear down to 2,000 rpm - but it is there.

I'm aware that a problem becomes more noticeable when you're aware of it and you're looking for it, but the vibrations are just a little too big for me. Me and my mates are planning a 6 day trip to the Alps next June, and after today my conclusions was that this would be the best bike to ride once we were there. I would just find it very uncomfortable riding it to get there and back. Hooning around all day? No problem. Grinding through some serious miles? I wouldn't be able to hold a pint by the end of the day. I worry what those vibrations are doing to the rest of the bike too, all the bolts, fastenings and electronics.

Would I have this bike over my Caponord? Absolutely, without question. The Caponord doesn't make me want to ride it every day, even a sunny weekend when I've a spare hour. The S1000XR does - it is so much fun, and the engine and gearbox combination is utterly amazing. But it doesn't feel like I want to own it.

The search continues. Maybe this bike will be upgraded and improved in 2016 or 2017.

PS - I wanted to mention the brakes again. The linked front and rears, together with cornering ABS, are astounding. I'm sure I didn't go anywhere near the limits today, but once you start to put your trust in the system and have confidence to use the front brake in the corners the response is amazing. Fantastic development for both safety and fun.

Permabanned
I had a go on both the S1000RR and S1000XR the other day.

RR first & I haven't grinned like that in a long time.

XR felt so lacking in comparison... comfortable sure, quite well made too... but it felt a bit plasticy and rough around the edges compared to the RR and the engine just didn't excite me... at all. I found more enjoyment from a CB600F.

Back
Top Bottom