Board games for adults.....

Soldato
For a quick blast of a game I am a fan of the logo board game.

The good thing about this game is that any person (young and old) can get into it. I have not found a single person who does not enjoy a quick game of this.

Soldato

Don't. Just, don't. :mad:

12-player games are hard to come by, but picking up some social games is a good idea. A full on game of Werewolf/Werewolves of Miller's Hollow will go up to 24, but it has player elimination so it wouldn't be a first pick. One Night Ultimate Werewolf and The Resistance both cap at 10, and Mascarade theoretically goes to 13 (but don't ever use Inquisitor, so 12).

If you want something team based that could be fun after a few drinks, pick up Ugg-Tect. The idea is that you're Stone Age builders trying to assemble a simple structure out of supplied parts. However, the chief builder is the only one who can see the plan of what to build and nobody is allowed to speak. The only permitted communication is by grunts and hitting people with an inflatable club. For a group of 12-14 you may need two copies, but I don't see a reason why you can't merge two games together.

Soldato
What's wrong with Munchkin?

Literally everything. It's purely a shaft-the-leader game that ends only when everyone runs out of cards to shaft the current leader with, a circumstance that generally occurs 60-90 minutes after the game stopped being fun. Adding expansions only makes it worse.

If you want to scratch that kind of itch, pick up Boss Monster. It has the advantage of taking no more than 30 minutes to play.

Soldato
Try Dominion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_(card_game)

Its more of a card, than board, game but still really good and I think it can scale. You'll just need 2 sets.

Please, no. It doesn't scale well at all. It just means you have twice as long to wait between your turns. And with that number of players, that's an awful lot of downtime, and it's not even time that can be used to plan out your next move, because there's no planning out like that, it's Dominion.

Soldato
^ This. Dominion becomes unwieldy very quickly.

Same with Cards Against Humanity actually. After a few games it quickly loses it's charm unless you buy expansions/make your own cards.

Dixit and The Resistance are fun and relatively quick to play.

Soldato
8 Player:

7 Wonders (with expansions)
Battlestar Galactica
Shadow Hunters (can do 9 with home made pieces)
Coup (can drink while playing)

Associate
Another one for Cards Against Humanity here, but with kids now days (uh, I feel old) I'm not sure it can be classed as adult.

On a side note, there are 'adult' board games... 'Monogamy' seems popular on Amazon.

Soldato
Not necessarily an "adult" game, but this one scales well with multiple players...

Snake Oil

Each round, one person is the "Customer", a specific type of person - a surfer, a couch potato, etc.

Each other player is an "Inventor". Each Inventor has 6 purple "word cards" in their hand, and they pick two of them to put together to make a product, and they have 30 seconds to pitch their product to the Customer.

The Customer then selects the product that best suits their character (or the funniest), and that Inventor gets the "Customer" card.

Play moves on, and the next person becomes the Customer.

It's much like how Cards Against Humanity works, but more family-friendly, and gives each person a chance to be inventive, and if you know the Customer well, you could tailor your pitch accordingly.

Soldato
OP
Will deffo check some of these out! Don't think that Monogamy is a game for more two people though haha!

Cards Against Humanity gets good reviews so will check that too.

There'll be a mixed group of males and females so something like Risk or a tabletop strategy type of game is out of the question. Just after anything thats quick and easy to get going with and something that doesn't get tedious quickly! Bop-it is quite a good game for a few laughs actually, forgot about that!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom