Bodycam

Soldato
This is a different game than 'unrecord' demoed last year, but looks really similar.

Associate
Those graphics are insane, the power of UE5 really does seem to be unmatched. However, I can imagine that camera could be nausea-inducing for a lot of people, especially in VR.

Soldato
Is there an in universe reason for you controlling the body of the shooter but looking through a bodycam. Like them being remote control zombies and the eyes don't work.

Soldato
Was watching this being streamed the other day. They pixalate the face so it doesn't distract from the realism look.
I would have put everyone in a helmet and face mask or similar but I'm no expert :p

Soldato
I get it, it looks cool and I’d probably like it.

But this is also an example of the asset flip culture that UE5 is unintentionally breeding. This looks strikingly similar to the unrecord content, and produced in a very short amount of time. This means that effectively what we’re seeing is a lot of “out of the box” content from the UE5 developer toolkit along with assets from stores, with some camera filters thrown on top. Difficult to see how games like this can have much of a road map and not be a flash in the pan, when they’re being thrown together relatively quickly (after having stolen an idea).

Interestingly as good as it looks, one part where Jack activates the night vision on the drone camera, you see just how painfully average the world actually looks without the filters, lighting and camera distortion doing all the heavy lifting.

Associate
^^ Yes but it's probably made by some kid sat in his underpants in his mum's basement who will soon be a millionaire.
The engine assets are free Epic only seek payment by way of a 5% cut once the game's sales reach $1million.

Look at the success of Counterstrike which was just a Half life mod

Associate
^^ Yes but it's probably made by some kid sat in his underpants in his mum's basement who will soon be a millionaire.
The engine assets are free Epic only seek payment by way of a 5% cut once the game's sales reach $1million.

Echoing this. Plus I'm not hugely bothered if assets come from a pre-made pack or if the developer spent months beautifully crafting each one bespoke for their game. At the end of the day what really matters is the gameplay.

Soldato

Counter-strike was a mod that required extensive coding. Games like this can be turned around with a bunch of scripting. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a skill set, but my concern is the longevity a team like that will spend enhancing and nurturing a game before dropping it.

Flash in the pans that get dropped by developers are not good experiences for the gaming community.

Associate
Meh. Will be like unrecord, a couple of kids messing around in unreal engine with photogrammetry trying to chance making a full game because their videos went viral due to how realistic a combination of photogrammetry and bodycam style cameras can look.

I predict both of these will be barely functional games with hardly any content or in depth gameplay and will be forgotten about as soon as they are released. I mean both this and unrecord use the same stock map assett ffs. These are hobbyists experimenting, not serious developers.

Photogrammetry is the real star here, that tech is what primarily makes everything look 'real'... hopefuly we will see some legit devs/companies start using it (besides Asobo in MSFS).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I played the demo for Fractured Mind which is also a bodycam style FPS. It's a 2.9GB download with a few patches on moddb currently, it's very basic but uses unreal Engine 5.3 and has DLSS built in too. Not much to change for the GFX, no INI file tweaks either but gives you an idea of how the camera/gun movement works I guess.

pF8gxd5.jpeg

WOxrIoj.jpeg

Rho5t6E.jpeg

It's got a lot of jank but is work in progress it seems.

Back
Top Bottom