BoE confirms what we knew already: migration driving down wages

Associate
spoken to a friend he works in large warehouse / distribution hub for M & S can't get overtime anymore any overtime is done by eastern Europeans on temp contacts who are happy to do it for flat rate wages.

can you tell him his pay packet is not being suppressed by immigration ?

Soldato
Just been getting quotes for a load of redecorating work.

Last English guy walked in, barely had a look at the imperfections we want to get rid of, spent about 3 minutes looking at it all and quoted us £1200.00.

Moldovan guy came round, spent half an hour checking everything, told us exactly what he was going to do and how he was going to do it, advised us on cheaper ways to get the finish we wanted and quoted us £700.00. He even stated he would not leave until everything was perfect and he asked if it was ok to take photos of the finished work for future clients. Showed us a load of pictures of current jobs in progress as well.

Guess who we are going with?

Last edited:
Caporegime
'British people upset that capitalism is working as intended.'

adam smith would disagree about capitalism working as intended anyway

Again, anecdotaly, a friend of mine was working on the roads as a sub connie (CIS) for £9+ an hour 5-6 years ago.

Recently there was a job advertised for a similar position, working on repairing the roads (which is a dangerous job) - £6.78 an hour.

It does seem the minimum wage is turning into the maximum wage for a lot of employers and it does seem hard to argue against that an increase in the supply of workers will depress the wages needed to pay, that's just basic economics.

I think the problem is the other reports that show no effect on wage depression are using national averages and all ranges of jobs, which is valid thing to do, but in localised areas and sections of work there has been a dramatic effect. And for those that has affected, they don't care about national averages.
This forums attitude says your friend is a disgrace for letting someone who can't even speak english do the job for a lot less monies.

The audacity leaves me speechless tbh, how dare your friend value himself as being above minimum wage? starving children in Ethiopia would give their left leg to earn such a vast amount of money.

has your friend no shame?

Last edited:
Caporegime

Last English guy walked in, barely had a look at the imperfections we want to get rid of, spent about 3 minutes looking at it all and quoted us £1200.00.

Moldovan guy came round, spent half an hour checking everything, told us exactly what he was going to do and how he was going to do it, advised us on cheaper ways to get the finish we wanted and quoted us £700.00. He even stated he would not leave until everything was perfect and he asked if it was ok to take photos of the finished work for future clients. Showed us a load of pictures of current jobs in progress as well.

The English guy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In seriousness, it was about time that sector got some competition from the conmen.

Suspended

We had a similar experience some years ago preparing our Wimbledon flat for sale. We used a Polish builder; his work was top notch.

Ultimately you want the best tradesman for the job, nationality shouldn't be an issue.

Caporegime
Oh yeah cos people never commit crimes do they? People never employ illegal workers either do they?

not even the government. oh wait
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...udge-for-supporting-her-Ebola-hit-family.html
Illegal immigrant caught working at Westminster is spared jail, avoids deportation and is praised by a judge for supporting her Ebola-hit family
:rolleyes:

We need moar sympathetic judges to encourage these hard working criminals to enter the country and remain here illegally
would the judge praise me if I was drug dealing to support my ill nan?

Soldato
The thing is, do we have any right to expect to be better off than anyone else in the world,
If the answer is yes its a selfish one, fair enough.

If the answer is no, then tada!

Unfortunately, equilibrium in the EU is currently being determined by willingness to work for the lowest wage rather than military might.

TBH this is fair because we benefit from the market and stability.

This country just needs to come to terms with it.

Caporegime
The thing is, do we have any right to expect to be better off than anyone else in the world,
yes we fought long and hard for that right.

What right do these people have to erode what it means to be British.
the majority will bugger off again when a better place comes a long and our economy is in ruins.

they don't want to embrace Britain they want to be parasitic like a cancer sweeping across europe

Soldato
yes we fought long and hard for that right.

What right do these people have to erode what it means to be British.
the majority will bugger off again when a better place comes a long and our economy is in ruins.

they don't want to embrace Britain they want to be parasitic like a cancer sweeping across europe

Likening immigrants to cancer. Stay classy arknor, stay classy

Caporegime
Likening immigrants to cancer. Stay classy arknor, stay classy

Do you know how much money the NHS blows each year on immigrant cancer patients ? if not maybe tweet farrage I bet he knows the exact figure

anyway it's a fact they don't want to embrace Britain they are just here whilst the money is good it's parasitic behaviour
Some parasites and parasitoids cause changes in the behavior of their hosts. There are two types of parasite-induced behavioral changes: parasitic manipulation of host behavior and host defense against parasites. The evolutionary origins of these behavioral changes have been the topic of theoretical discussion. Many parasite-induced behavioral changes may be the product of coevolution between hosts and parasites, but the extent to which specific alterations can be considered adaptive is frequently debated.
Please consult your GP immediately

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Do you know how much money the NHS blows each year on immigrant cancer patients ? if not maybe tweet farrage I bet he knows the exact figure

anyway it's a fact they don't want to embrace Britain they are just here whilst the money is good it's parasitic behaviour

Honestly, you would make more sense if you just admitted you were prejudiced rather than making up all this nonsense about NHS costs to try and justify your anti immigration views.

Migrants contribute a lot more than they take out of the economy, so your claim that cancer tourism is rife is just pure fantasy (in addition to the fact that the costs themselves are negligible)

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/05/eu-migrants-uk-gains-20bn-ucl-study

European migrants made a net contribution of £20bn to UK public finances between 2000 and 2011. Those from the 15 countries which made up the EU before 2004, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain, contributed 64% – £15bn more in taxes than they received in welfare – while east European migrants contributed 12%, equivalent to £5bn more

Associate
They also live together as families so their living costs are less. ;)

The fact that many of them are only planning to stay for a few years to earn some money before returning home increases their willingness to endure a lifestyle that, on a permanent basis, would cause their British counterparts to become clinically depressed.

For example, I know of a case of a dodgy landlord who rented out a 3 bedroom terraced house in Leeds to 14 young Poles. They were working day and night shifts and when one came home he would sleep in the bed that one of his housemates had just vacated! Cheap for them but not something we should be expecting young Brits to do in order to survive on their meagre wages. I am sure that most factory owners would relish a return to Victorian living standards among their employees but it seems a tad regressive to me.

In my summer holidays in 1997, I remember getting around £10 an hour for a night shift at a factory doing stacking, sweeping up etc on a 12 hour shift. The day rate was significantly lower. Recently, I saw a similar job being advertised that paid the same for day and night shift: minimum wage. The "incentive" to work night shift was that full-time hours might be available, but if you worked days then only part-time hours would be on offer.

The consequence of New Labour's unlimited Eastern European immigration is a vast flood of workers willing to do any job for less than the natives, thus bidding down wages for everyone else. And this at a time when the costs of housing in the UK are rising relentlessly. Still, I am sure that the upper/middle class mantra that "British workers are just lazy and pampered" will continue to dominate the BBC narrative.

Associate
By reading the posts, it doesn't seem like all employment sectors have been affected by this.

If you have a group of four lads all sharing a house and the bills they can afford to work for less.

It isn't rocket science as to why wages have been suppressed.

A very important point. Most tradesman reach their peak for skill and speed around 30 years old, just around the time you have kids and a mortgage. A Lithuanian tradesman with equal skills can rent a room from some slum landlord, send all the money home and still undercut you by £50 a day.

Perhaps when this starts to penetrate into office work OCUK will understand.

Caporegime
'We'? Honest question, have you ever contributed anything to British society, because ironically you come across as a parasite yourself. The typical type who likes to blame everyone else for their own failings in life.
My good friend , may I be as bold and frank to accuse you of being disingenuous.

Ask not what I have contributed to your country, but what your country has contributed to my kids abroad in Poland.
Follow the benefit trail and go down deep into the rabbit hole

Soldato
By reading the posts, it doesn't seem like all employment sectors have been affected by this.

A very important point. Most tradesman reach their peak for skill and speed around 30 years old, just around the time you have kids and a mortgage. A Lithuanian tradesman with equal skills can rent a room from some slum landlord, send all the money home and still undercut you by £50 a day.

Perhaps when this starts to penetrate into office work OCUK will understand.

I think its ridiculous that hard working British tax payers are banned from house sharing while immigrants can flaunt this law.

Man of Honour
Not sure but I'm certain that you didn't get 3 bed-semis converted into dormitories for 10+ workers.

No, what you had was what we now call HMOs: house of multiple occupation. AKA, a shared house. I spent several years on one a little later than that, in the Eighties. They are now a lot rarer for locals. Lodging was still (just) a thing in the Seventies as well. Right up until the Nineties most young people assumed that they would live with the parents until they had met a person to share their life - and a house - with.

Back
Top Bottom