BoE confirms what we knew already: migration driving down wages

Caporegime
OP
None of it. That all makes perfect sense and I totally agree.

What I don't get is the articles suggestion that its somehow unfair on UK workers that foreign workers can find jobs online.

I don't think the BoE are in the business of suggesting what's fair or unfair, just reporting on the state of the economy. You may have missed on of my edits:

"Besides, I'm pretty sure the BoE is talking about localised online job site e.g. a Lithuanian web site advertising jobs based in the UK in Lithuanian."

Would you agree that would make it unfair on British workers? If jobs aren't advertised in Britain or in English? Please don't suggest that fluent language skills in Polish, Lithuanian, Bulgarian and Romulanian are required to pick vegetables.

Caporegime
Companies will purposely place job adverts in Polish, online, knowing full well they are paying less for the type of work involved.

This 'they are cheaper' argument makes no sense either. In reality what we're talking about here is unskilled or low skilled jobs at or around the minimum wage limit, and when the job is advertised along with its wage rhw employer doesn't know who will get it.

So actually, foreign workers arent cheaper. Which means they must be better. Or the UK workers simply aren't trying.

Caporegime
I don't think the BoE are in the business of suggesting what's fair or unfair, just reporting on the state of the economy. You may have missed on of my edits:

"Besides, I'm pretty sure the BoE is talking about localised online job site e.g. a Lithuanian web site advertising jobs based in the UK in Lithuanian."

Would you agree that would make it unfair on British workers? If jobs aren't advertised in Britain or in English? Please don't suggest that fluent language skills in Polish, Lithuanian, Bulgarian and Romulanian are required to pick vegetables.

Is there evidence of that happening, or is this just your opinion?

Soldato
I wonder how the election would have differed had this information been made available a week ago....

Not one bit because both Labour and the Tories have mismanaged immigration and the one party who stated they would address it severely were gimped by the first past the post format for the ballot.

Soldato
I recall a TV show a couple of years ago about immigration etc, and it showed a Polish guy, who was a more wealthy than most, came to the UK, started up his own carpentry business and had about 8 staff working for him. Fair play to him for making a successful business in our country, that is something I actually admire.

All of his staff were Polish and he open said on TV that he would not employ UK people due to being lazy, untrustworthy and unskilled.

This is a massive generalisation against UK people, there are many different types of UK citizens, just shows the narrowmindedness of immigrants as well.

Imagine if a UK business owner stated on TV all black people are thugs who go around stabbing people and mugging people, there would be an uproar.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I recall a TV show a couple of years ago about immigration etc, and it showed a Polish guy, who was a more wealthy than most, came to the UK, started up his own carpentry business and had about 8 staff working for him.

All of his staff were Polish and he open said on TV that he would not employ UK people due to being lazy, untrustworthy and unskilled.

This is a massive generalisation against UK people, there are many different types of UK citizens, just shows the narrowmindedness of immigrants as well.

Imagine if a UK business owner stated on TV all black people are thugs who go around stabbing people and mugging people, there would be an uproar.

So we should just ban the Polish from coming here rather than tackle the generalisation? Sounds like the lazy thing to do to me...

Soldato
So we should just ban the Polish from coming here rather than tackle the generalisation? Sounds like the lazy thing to do to me...

I have no problem with any community wanting to move to the UK, as an individual if they are willing to pay their own way and not claim benefits.
Polish typically are hard workers I give them that. Of course like anything they are not all the same, but from my experience most seem to be working.

I have no issue with them working, they are currently entitled to work in the EU, and that includes the UK.

My issue is that the lack of really wanting to integrate with the UK society, refusing to employ a UK born carpenter because of them being "lazy" is madness, I would say that it is more the case a UK skilled and trained carpenter would be looking for a £20,000 a year salary, but a Polish migrant would be happy to do the same for min wage. The problem is the perceived value of money varies due to the poor nature of the Polish country.

Caporegime
I have no problem with any community wanting to move to the UK, as an individual if they are willing to pay their own way and not claim benefits.
Polish typically are hard workers I give them that. Of course like anything they are not all the same, but from my experience most seem to be working.

I have no issue with them working, they are currently entitled to work in the EU, and that includes the UK.

My issue is that the lack of really wanting to integrate with the UK society, refusing to employ a UK born carpenter because of them being "lazy" is madness, I would say that it is more the case a UK skilled and trained carpenter would be looking for a £20,000 a year salary, but a Polish migrant would be happy to do the same for min wage. The problem is the perceived value of money varies due to the poor nature of the Polish country.

They also tend to send the money back home, so in effect an indirect aid program...which is hilarious as the EU should be helping Poland out more regardless.

Ehh......

Soldato
Sorry if this has been mentioned but it seems many of you don't realise that some recruitment companies now only recruit from outside the UK for UK jobs.

So employer contacts the recruitment company and before a UK person has a chance the job goes for first offer outside the UK.

Soldato
The problem isn't migrants it is migration policy.

Yes, same as our benefit policy. Can you blame the people who claim the money that the government deem they are entitled too? NO!

It's the fault of the system and that needs change to shake things up, just like the migration policy.

The problem with Brussells is they don't care about the regional impacts to a EU wide policy and that is the major downfall with Brussells.

Caporegime

So its OK for you to make a generalisation about a countries people, but not for someone else to make one about yours?

:rolleyes:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Please don't suggest that fluent language skills in Polish, Lithuanian, Bulgarian and Romulanian are required to pick vegetables.

Well, a job advert in our local paper for a field hand (I belive it was a mushroom farm) had one of the requirements as "must be fluent in Polish".

Permabanned
If you have a group of four lads all sharing a house and the bills they can afford to work for less.

It isn't rocket science as to why wages have been suppressed.

Back
Top Bottom