Book's

Suspended
Fantasy?

Robert Jordan - The Eye of the World (1st of a series, it's quite easy going but the series gets heavy quite fast
JRR Tolkein - The Hobbit (Much faster paced than Lord of the Rings, but still great)
Terry Pratchett - The Light Fantastic (The second Discworld novel, but a hundred times better than the first so just skip that)

Sci Fi?

Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash
Iain M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game (All of these are a little off to the side of 'standard' sci fi, but they're all excellent. So many new ideas.)

Soldato
If you are even vaguely interested in Science Fiction on a really epic scale and of a pretty adult nature then you have *got* to read the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

Of all the books I've read this trilogy is my favourite.

In fact read any of his books as they are all excellent. :)

Soldato
iCraig said:
Haha, I laughed at that for age's.
I do hope you're being ironic.

To back up the bearded one; if someone is capable of subscribing to an internet forum and creating a thread of his/her own, that person really should know the basics of the English written word.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
*Wonders how many people are jumping on the bandwagon here.*

People make the apostrophe mistake all the time in other threads yet you people don't mention it. Penski mentions it here, and you all start jumping on the damn bandwagon. Give the guy a break.

Soldato
Nix said:
*Wonders how many people are jumping on the bandwagon here.*

People make the apostrophe mistake all the time in other threads yet you people don't mention it. Penski mentions it here, and you all start jumping on the damn bandwagon. Give the guy a break.
If you're suggesting that I'd take Penski from behind happen the opportunity should arise then you're very much mistaken.

On a forum where swearing, text typing and all other forms of BS are strictly forbidden, I don't think it's too much to ask that people have a basic grasp of the language they're posting in.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Big Chris said:
If you're suggesting that I'd take Penski from behind happen the opportunity should arise then you're very much mistaken.

On a forum where swearing, text typing and all other forms of BS are strictly forbidden, I don't think it's too much to ask that people have a basic grasp of the language they're posting in.

Well would you like to go and post in all those other threads you've so conveniently missed then?

Here's one you:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17577907

You, and others here are being nothing but pedantic hypocrites.

EDIT:

I see you have now. I'll apologise to you, but my opinion stands for the others at the moment.

Associate
His Dark Materials
LOTR - Its not difficult to read! Try the ******* Silmarillion if you want something heavy!
Hitchhikers Guide is easy reading funny Sci-fi.

Soldato
PL'Z GUYZ, NOE (MORE) - TLK; I "WNT" 2C BOOKS PLZK?THXGUYZ:

'Books!

That's enough bad grammar, bad spelling and bad punctuation to outdo everyone.

Soldato
Nix said:
Well would you like to go and post in all those other threads you've so conveniently missed then?

Here's one you:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17577907

You, and others here are being nothing but pedantic hypocrites.

EDIT:

I see you have now. I'll apologise to you, but my opinion stands for the others at the moment.
What more can I say... I'd advise thinking before you open your mouth.

Anyway, when I was a student at Plymouth uni I had a lot better things to be doing with my time than amassing 3000+ posts on internet forums in just over a year, go out and enjoy yourself and leave us anal old men to grammar police the forums.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Big Chris said:
What more can I say... I'd advise thinking before you open your mouth.

Anyway, when I was a student at Plymouth uni I had a lot better things to be doing with my time than amassing 3000+ posts on internet forums in just over a year, go out and enjoy yourself and leave us anal old men to grammar police the forums.

Well since you've decided to stick your nose in my business. I've had money issues and thus unable to go out and enjoy myself much, which probably accounts for my high post-count. I've also currently finished my exams, and just biding my time before I go home. I'll spend my time how I like, I go out and enjoy myself enough. Anymore 'enjoyment' and I'd probably be a borderline alcoholic or making myself ill. My postcount is only credit to the fact I post a lot and in various forums. I enjoy more than just GD. I read the forums as a casual thing while watching my TV or talking to friends on MSN, there isn't much else to do when everyone you know has gone home. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

One last thing, change your tone with me. I've apologised to you now and there's no need for it.

Soldato
Saberu said:
A dark tower :p Actually I don't remember what they said it was about I just remember them saying it was a good fantasy book.

The dark tower is the nexus of all the worlds that holds the differant worlds together , the books start in the desert with the gunslinger chasing the dark man through a world that has moved on , his ultimate goal is to reach the dark tower , thing is he also goes through doors back to our world at differant times and "draws" companions to help him on his quest, wizard and glass and wolves of the calla are also storys from the gunslingers younger days (calla is a bit like the magnificent 7!)

great read

Man of Honour
Dave said:
Great job. We need more people on grammar patrol :D

Well, it's a bit ironic that someone is posting about reading, and then makes possibly the most common punctuation error of them all.

But my answer to the initial question is: what have you read and enjoyed so far? It's all very well people pointing you at certain books, but there's a sporting chance you'll hate them. There's a lot of differences between War and Peace and LOTR, but both are worth reading.

M

Back
Top Bottom