• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Both RX Vega 64 & 56 Beat GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

Looking at the benchmark as it runs different settings make little difference to image quality. This is one game where turning down the settings to get it to run will make little difference to appearance, 1080p looks almost as good as 2160p.

Having said that the actual game may differ in appearance to the benchmark image quality wise.
Don't forget Kaap you were using 200% resolution scaling, default is 100% resolution scaling and this is what was used in the tests above.

I like HBCC is a thing but I would say it also makes 16gb more then ever the minimum people should spec. I saw on ocuk ryzen builds with 8gb which seemed wrong then and definitely now wouldnt be good. A few games I find need much more then I expected because Im using HBCC and all the top texture options.
I almost got 32gb of DDR4 a year ago as well, it wasnt the fastest memory of the options but I had not heard of HBCC or I would have gone that route. Now the price rise on DDR4 as well makes that a double missed opportunity.
Also looking HWinfo I realised the timings were far higher then needed as xmp is blocked by a locked cpu Im using for now, that is a unique and useful util :)

HBCC i read described as like a large texture bookmark system, where its both instant access and able to contain a greater breadth then absolute in/out system

Just to add to the sum of human knowledge I ran the benchmark on my machine with the card overlooked and undervolted running at ~1630/1100 on 17.10.1 drivers and the same settings as Kaap upthread and got the following:

Res Min Max Ave
FHD 72.6 130.1 105.0
1440 53.0 88.7 78.4
3440 48.4 68.1 61.9
4K 32.2 44.2 39.9

I ran the higher resolutions with all settings maxed but resolution scaling at 100% for easier comparison with published results. I didn't see the point in doing lower res given the scores.

3440 83.0 136.4 125.1
3440 102.8 142.0 129.7 HBCC ON
4K 63.3 121.4 104.4

Last edited:
Considering how much they lose on each card, seems unlikely, unless they're even more self destructive than we give them credit for.

Surely if they aren't selling cards that's even more destructive. You aren't gaining any market share and you have loads of unsold stock on shelves all over the world.

Surely if HBM was that bad for AMD they would not have made more GPUs using this memory after FuryX a GPU line up that wasn't doing them very well..

AMD make enough money from other departments, the CPU is now doing very well! and do we actually know how much AMD make on the console market ? Playstation 4 sold 60+ M units sold has of June this year, Xbox One 30m. That alone is a lot of Money AMD is making. They have Xbox X coming soon that will sell millions also.

Stock that's losing you money is best off not being made.

Higher demand just means more losses really doesn't it?

Well that's too late now isn't it? The stock is already on the Shelves.

They should take the hit and build market share for the future. At the moment they are doing nothing. Their price/performance reputation is been ruined, the goodwill they had built up in the gaming community is been eroded. The current prices are driving even Freesync owners to Nvidia and Gsync. And once they go Gsync they are going to keep that monitor for a few years and buy 2 or 3 more Nvidia GPUs in the life of that monitor.

They are pretty good cards at the £350/£450 price. Vega owners are happy if you check the threads out. They would sell well.

Isn't the loss of a few million worth the long term gain of keeping current customers and maybe gaining some new ones?

I've learnt over the years to take benchmarks with a big pinch of salt. Your see that they all differer when comparing a product.

I'll still watch and read everything I can find before making my mind up but it annoys me that you can get such variance between benchmarks where there shouldn't be any.

If you do benchmarks at home you will often get difference results. Then these reviews sites take different areas to benchmark. So there will always be differences.

Well that's too late now isn't it? The stock is already on the Shelves.

They should take the hit and build market share for the future. At the moment they are doing nothing. Their price/performance reputation is been ruined, the goodwill they had built up in the gaming community is been eroded. The current prices are driving even Freesync owners to Nvidia and Gsync. And once they go Gsync they are going to keep that monitor for a few years and buy 2 or 3 more Nvidia GPUs in the life of that monitor.

They are pretty good cards at the £350/£450 price. Vega owners are happy if you check the threads out. They would sell well.

Isn't the loss of a few million worth the long term gain of keeping current customers and maybe gaining some new ones?

The cards are ~500/~600.

Some of the happy Vega owners are also pretty massive AMD fanboys, some whom would never touch Nvidia. Obviously there's a few neutrals whom have bought a 64/56 at their launch prices, but right now? £499 is AIB 1080 money.

The cards are ~500/~600.

Some of the happy Vega owners are also pretty massive AMD fanboys, some whom would never touch Nvidia. Obviously there's a few neutrals whom have bought a 64/56 at their launch prices, but right now? £499 is AIB 1080 money.

Wow, you fail at reading.

Really, you should read my post again without all the fanboy crap clouding your mind.

No, actually, I will spell it out for you.

If AMD sold the cards at £350 for the 56, £450 for the 64, then they would sell.

Back
Top Bottom