• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Both RX Vega 64 & 56 Beat GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

Soldato
I think decent is pushing it.

'A lemon' if you believe some of the reviews.

'Not quite as bad as everyone makes out' is a fair compromise!
Performance is the only thing that matters to the owners of these 'lemons'. Competing with or besting the 1080 and now, in some instances, the 1080 Ti is at least 'decent' in most peoples book surely!?

bru

bru

Soldato
I have to assume that people forget that these games are developed on the PC, to run on the consoles, then converted back to run on the PC.
Unless the coders type in the thousands of lines of code using the on screen keyboard and a D pad and the fact it runs with such poor utilisation of multiple cores on the PC, is quite laughable considering how it is written on the PC to begin with.

Soldato
I have to assume that people forget that these games are developed on the PC, to run on the consoles, then converted back to run on the PC.
Unless the coders type in the thousands of lines of code using the on screen keyboard and a D pad and the fact it runs with such poor utilisation of multiple cores on the PC, is quite laughable considering how it is written on the PC to begin with.

Games are built using Console Dev kits and the choice of game engine... If they use lets say Unreal 4 they will export the code within spec of the console and play it back in real time on the Dev kit.

Just because this game maxes out one CPU core doesn't mean its not using all the other core LOL Go and watch any VIDEO with the CPU info on screen and you can easy see for yourself all the core doing workload.

Here is the reason for 100% Core its for reducing game latency
As Evan claimed, the game is using 100% of one CPU core and that is an expected behaviour.

“Some users may notice that the game utilizes nearly 100% of one of their processor cores. This is expected behavior; we intentionally run in this manner so we can react as fast as possible in order to minimize input latency. Users on power-constrained devices, such as laptops and tablets, might want to use a Performance Target of “30 FPS (V-SYNC),” which will reduce processor usage and minimize power consumption.”

Soldato
Performance is the only thing that matters to the owners of these 'lemons'. Competing with or besting the 1080 and now, in some instances, the 1080 Ti is at least 'decent' in most peoples book surely!?
I'm going to say no. Too many problems have affected Vega and I know it's down to market conditions as well but 18 month old performance at a higher cost, greater levels of heat which necessitate liquid cooling to prevent it from throttling. High levels of noise and power draw but you know all that and I'm wasting my breath going over same old points.

AIB partners don't want to touch it with a barge pole and understandably so. I honestly don't think we'll see many if 'any' AIB cards now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Bottom Line

AMD had the win for a couple of weeks, in Forza Motorsport 7, and NVIDIA put an end to that quickly. It shows what competition brings, when there is competition it sparks motivation. AMD Radeon RX Vega has been good for the consumer as it has sparked a response from the competition.

Sadly, for Radeon RX Vega, that spark was met with this new NVIDIA GeForce 387.92 driver which has improved Forza Motorsport 7 performance on average by 15% on 10 series GeForce GPUs. It has turned the tables and put GeForce GPUs on top at 4K. However, at 1440p the video cards are more evenly matched. GeForce GTX 1080 and Radeon RX Vega 64 are equal in performance at 1440p in Forza Motorsport 7. GeForce GTX 1070 and Radeon RX Vega 56 are equal in performance at 1440p in Forza Motorsport 7.

From their testing, it looks like the 1080Ti is way ahead, the 1080 and Vega 64 are on par and the 1070 and Vega 56 are on par. Looks to me that AMD had the advantage at launch, which is no bad thing but NVidia did the graft and got performance for their users.

Soldato
Just waiting for someone to pop in, not mentioning names and say "Vega is still faster" even after HardOCP re-review :p

Not saying there reviews are wrong, good on Nvidia getting things sorted fast. Everyone is now happy gaming :p

I am very confused though why all the big YouTube benchmark guys still have not done a single video on this game yet. It's a massive title..

Video footage will show case a lot more. Weather effects, time of say etc etc

Caporegime
Not saying there reviews are wrong, good on Nvidia getting things sorted fast. Everyone is now happy gaming :p

I am very confused though why all the big YouTube benchmark guys still have not done a single video on this game yet. It's a massive title..

Not surprised to read this from you bud. How does Forza 7 run for you on your 64?

Soldato
Not surprised to read this from you bud. How does Forza 7 run for you on your 64?

Don't own Forza 7 not into sim racers.. I am interested in DirectX 12 though and very much interested in seeing how well this title does.

Surely we can agree video footage shows much more than X amount Avg FPS..
Again am not saying there results are wrong at all!!!

Soldato

They are probably waiting to do t it properly rather than jumping the gun and getting all excited over a demo :p

Soldato
Just waiting for someone to pop in, not mentioning names and say "Vega is still faster" even after HardOCP re-review :p
Oh it will be. In about 2 years time the 64 will surpass the non ti 1080!

Mark my words...

It will!

Of course no one will care about such low end offerings by then..

Caporegime
Don't own Forza 7 not into sim racers.. I am interested in DirectX 12 though and very much interested in seeing how well this title does.

Ohhh, the way you was going on, I assumed you owned it. Not sure why you are so adamant that HardOCP is not to be trusted and you need video footage to stop you being 'very confused' but I guess your agenda dictates that.

Edit:

My kind of thread in truth though - Lots of talking points and lots of hyperbole :D I genuinely was pleased that Vega64 beat the Ti but surely we all knew it was just a case of drivers?

Soldato
I suppose it would be naïve to ask if the prices of Vega cards are likely to come down at all any time soon? No new releases by Nvidia upcoming that will force AMD to drop prices? No tapering off of demand that will cause them to be cheaper? I'm looking at a complete system upgrade in the future and I'd like to upgrade the GPU as well (currently a 8GB 480).

Soldato
Not sure if its too late now but the 480 was a great sell earlier this year and then a swap to the Vega at launch. I believe at one point the two cards were the same price, market vs retail. This is what the forum is for really, we should have been allowed to post full screen flashing Neon GIF at that point because that was the best deal ever.

AMD isnt producing enough cards. My guess is they upped or switched more production capacity to the 580 and they cannot easily throw out a ton of Vega. If they are trying to make more Vega maybe the extra processing steps in production lines from having to fix in HBM means it'll be xmas before we see so much stock that it actually matches the proper retail price

I genuinely was pleased that Vega64 beat the Ti but surely we all knew it was just a case of drivers?
Vega is newer tech, I bought the story it was using something the Ti does not have. I guess not, it was efficiency in dx12 and well done to Nvidia for working on that.
Next battleground story will be RPM and Wolfenstein because that is an 'exclusive' feature. My guess is RPM cannot help the main engine to really throw a fps advantage

Associate
AMD isnt producing enough cards. My guess is they upped or switched more production capacity to the 580 and they cannot easily throw out a ton of Vega. If they are trying to make more Vega maybe the extra processing steps in production lines from having to fix in HBM means it'll be xmas before we see so much stock that it actually matches the proper retail price

There are plenty of Vega 56s and 64s in stock though. Have a look at the OCUK shop -

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-56
Three of the five 56s have 10+ in stock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-64
and four of the 64s have 10+ in stock.

Soldato

It's written on a PC but not with the PC architecture in mind. The code is written to run on the consoles so will be tailored to their needs. The fact it's written on a PC is arbitrary.

I imagine writing code using an Xbox or a PS4 would be rather cumbersome.

You could conversely of course write code for a PC game using a text editor on an Xbox or PS4. Doesn't make a difference what platform you use to write the code in. Your not writing it for that native system.

Caporegime

Here are some new DX12 Benchmarks:
Star Wars BF2, from DICE
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Star-...17-Spiel-60678/Specials/Technik-Test-1240296/

Both Pascal And Vega suffer large slow down switchign form DX11 to DX 12. Unforutnately different systems were used for the NVidia and AMD DX12 tests so you can't compare, but suffice it to say Vega looses massive performance in DX12. Althoughin DX11 Vega does very well here.

More SWBF2 benchamrks, again showing loss in eprformance in DX12
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/star-wars-battlefront-ii-beta-test-gpu-cpu\

Total Warhammer 2:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Total...60823/Specials/Benchmark-Test-Review-1240653/,
Nvidia cards loose performance in DX12, while Vega gains a little. But it is all futile because a 1070 in DX11 beats out a Vega64 in DX12. This is the same result as in Total Warhammer 1

Moral of the story is those Vega owners hoping that DX12 is some kind f magical cure for Vega woes will be disapointed.

Back
Top Bottom