• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Both RX Vega 64 & 56 Beat GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

There must be something in it. I mean from a business point of view why would Devs spend more time to put in those extra features for only 30% of users.

Its not just PC, Forza was xbox only at one point. Isnt Vulkan supposed to take off from enabling multiple platforms, Microsoft arent doing AMD a favour they did it for themselves. They have xbox and windows 10 to pimp out and if AMD has the goods ready on enough hardware including that new console? they are going to use it.

I'm not sure RPM will repeat the trick on Wolfenstein but its possible Vega could yield a non linear performance curve in development. I'd be mostly concerned is Forza 7 even worth playing, if its a classic great if its disposable then who cares how well it does. Most forth coming games wont be dx12 still I guess but if it changed developers minds then in a year or so maybe it matters.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-12-does-not-make-a-lot-of-sense-vulkan-does/

PERFORMANCE
Performance is improved over Forza Horizon 3, but this road is still a bumpy one. I've experienced three crashes while in the menus. On two machines running Nvidia GPUs, I noticed a good amount of stuttering in the pre- and post-race scenes and menus, but I haven't noticed the any issues while racing. I didn't get any stuttering in menus with an AMD GPU, and our early benchmarking reports suggest better performance on AMD GPUs overall.

http://www.pcgamer.com/forza-motors..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Did Intel get access to Mantle?

Edit:

That is rhetorical and doesn't need a response, as we all know the answer.

Problem is AMD did not say no. Mantle never got to the stage or Intel lost interest. Facts are Intel and all Hardware vendors were told they would be welcome at the next stage. The next stage turned out to be Vulkan as far as this version of Mantle was concerned. Intel were never told they couldn't have access just that they would have to wait. Any how this don't matter and we all know AMD is responsible along with Khronos for giving us Vulkan which likely wouldn't have came so soon without AMD''s Mantle.

Nothing about this strikes me as bad AMD for helping the gaming scene out.

I don't think this was the case at all. Mantle was never going to be a money maker for AMD. It was a tech Demo and a way of pushing developers quicker onto low level Api's where AMD architecture would shine more. AMD are not a charity as you say but the API it self was never going to make them money directly. Pushing the market to low level Api's and being in the consoles was a decent strategy imo and may still pay off well.

Where your argument falls down is it would have been easier for AMD to launch a new generation of cards that favour DX11 than try and steer the market to using APIs like Mantle and DX12.

No what AMD were up to was to get Mantle established in the full knowledge that NVidia would never use it even if it was freely available to them, if this strategy had worked it would have generated a lot of market share but unfortunately one of the things that messed it up for them was Microsoft bringing out DX12 that NVidia did use.

Wasnt it AMD who approached microsoft im the first place to get a bettet api? But they wasnt interested until they got wind of AMD developing mantle. Strangely enough it worked out well seen as the xbox would be using AMD hardware.

Is this game still running on one thread?
Reason I ask is we know Nvidia is more CPU heavy so in the lower resolutions this is the bottleneck. Josh.

Hi, I thought it was AMD's gpu's that are more demanding on the cpu?

Good to see, but not convince it has anything to do with it using Vega's features as other older cards are doing well also. Chances are Nvidia will just release a driver in the next month or so which will solve the issue.

I thought the same after taking note that Fiji and Polaris also out perform their usual competition.

Where your argument falls down is it would have been easier for AMD to launch a new generation of cards that favour DX11 than try and steer the market to using APIs like Mantle and DX12.

No what AMD were up to was to get Mantle established in the full knowledge that NVidia would never use it even if it was freely available to them, if this strategy had worked it would have generated a lot of market share but unfortunately one of the things that messed it up for them was Microsoft bringing out DX12 that NVidia did use.

No where your argument falls flat on its nose is it had no chance of working the way you are putting it. AMD knew this and so did Dice. Pretty much everyone knew this. What you are also forgetting is well before Mantle ever came to light AMD had said it was not Consoles holding back PC''s but the Api''s.

Then we have AMD in the new Consoles which were now very similar to PC''s. Both consoles would be using low level Api''s as usual so it would benefit AMD all around to get PC moving towards low level API''s.

Mantle was a selling point for AMD just as Physx was for Nvidia. It was never going to take over from dx11 but could show the benefits that a low level Api would make. If you believe there was ever a chance or that AMD thought they ever had a chance of it replacing DX11 then I will leave you with your thoughts. Pretty sure without looking back AMD or at least a lot of guys on here thought they would possibly hand it over.

Now if Mantle took off and became an Industry standard they would have benefitted greatly so I would say yea they would have hoped some how there lottery numbers came in. I doubt they thought this was ever possible even if they ever said it. Makes much more sense that they could force PC to low level Api''s faster. They achieved this even though it's still slow going.

Last edited:
No where your argument falls flat on its nose is it had no chance of working the way you are putting it. AMD knew this and so did Dice. Pretty much everyone knew this. What you are also forgetting is well before Mantle ever came to light AMD had said it was not Consoles holding back PC''s but the Api''s.

Then we have AMD in the new Consoles which were now very similar to PC''s. Both consoles would be using low level Api''s as usual so it would benefit AMD all around to get PC moving towards low level API''s.

Mantle was a selling point for AMD just as Physx was for Nvidia. It was never going to take over from dx12. If you believe there was ever a chance or that AMD thought they ever had a chance of it replacing DX12 then I will leave you with your thoughts. Pretty sure without looking back AMD or at least a lot of guys on here thought they would possibly hand it over.

Don't think so.

From a technical point of view neither AMD or NVidia were under any pressure to move away from DX11 as it did not effect the number of cards they were going to sell however good or bad the old API was.

Mantle on the other hand was used as a tool to lock NVidia out of a superior API which would have increased AMDs market share if it had worked.

The only reason DX12 has made a quick appearance is because Microsoft would have been concerned about losing control if Mantle had worked.

Business is all about making money, not doing charity or technical demos or even innovation if the vendors can avoid it, intel have been doing this for years but unfortunately for them AMD have now given them a good kick up the **** with Ryzen and some healthy competition.

Became open standards, started out in beta access and AMD give the code away and it became Vulkan API
Let me guess even with concrete evidence of this you saying it didn't?
^POV comment
Open standards only work if they are constantly developed and maintained by a central body or company.

Making something and then dumping it on github will only help with bug fixes and maybe general maintenance.

Don't think so.

From a technical point of view neither AMD or NVidia were under any pressure to move away from DX11 as it did not effect the number of cards they were going to sell however good or bad the old API was.

Mantle on the other hand was used as a tool to lock NVidia out of a superior API which would have increased AMDs market share if it had worked.

The only reason DX12 has made a quick appearance is because Microsoft would have been concerned about losing control if Mantle had worked.

Business is all about making money, not doing charity or technical demos or even innovation if the vendors can avoid it, intel have been doing this for years but unfortunately for them AMD have now given them a good kick up the **** with Ryzen and some healthy competition.

Lets look at it this way! Go back couple years before we even seen Mantle! Right around when AMD get Playstation and Xbox... AMD will have had a business plan for Desktop GPU!
They see there is a chance to bring Console development and PC closer, the pay off here is better Performance for there Graphic cards! Mantle was that first glimpse into AMD vision here.. AMD has every right to be pressured into moving away from DirectX 11 there GPUs are no match for Nvidia using that Version of API! AMDs GPUs require these Low Level APis to get more out of them, hence Mantle! Hence pushing for Vulkan API Hence pushing better DirectX 12 GPUs First fully enabled DX12 GPUs.

This has been AMDs plan from the moment they gained control of the console market!!

In the past pushing the next iteration of dx has been very successfully for both companies. 9700pro, 6800ultra, 8800gtx were all designed with the latest and greatest features to push the envelope on technology rather than brute force. Dx12 hasn't really been as fast to be adopted and that's probably because dx11 is tried and tested, looks good enough and is all already running well and easy to programme etc no real visual difference to be had using dx12 either. AMD got caught out trying to be ahead of the game and it didn't work out as planned Imo.

Back
Top Bottom