Bought an old BMW M3, filled with regret...

Soldato
Sure it's not because you can't afford the massive bills that would come from running it as a daily? I know that's what would put me off!

I never understand people who have nice, but not incredibly rare, cars and only drive them on sunny weekends as they're scared of them getting damaged. Cars are made to be used, the whole point of something like an M3 or M5 is that it's a special, performance orientated car that you can use everyday.

Robbie's M3 is one of the nicest I've ever seen, and I was gutted for him when I saw the pictures, but I'm sure it'll all be resolved in the end, and he'll keep using it as a daily. :)

The chance of something happening are so slim though. I wouldn't drive an old golf instead of your m5 purely because you're worried that it might get whacked at some point. Live a little man!! :p;)

I don't, I drive my Range Rover most the time as I commute a lot, I also simply don't want to put much mileage on my M5 and have it at risk from the general public which have wrote off one of my cars in the past. Once bitten....

This may sound absurd but I have the luxury of not needing to use it as a daily..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't, I drive my Range Rover most the time as I commute a lot, I also simply don't want to put much mileage on my M5 and have it at risk from the general public which have wrote off one of my cars in the past. Once bitten....

This may sound absurd but I have the luxury of not needing to use it as a daily..

Garage Queen and why not?

You - from your sig - have plenty of choice for day to day hacking around and I get you wanting to keep the M5 special.

Although, I must say, if I was walking toward my garage in the morning wondering which one to choose, it would be hard to not pick the M5 although I can appreciate the Range has one thing the M5 doesn't - Range! :p

Really feel for you Robbie, watching you going completely OCD on your M3 has been a joy, its nice to see whats still a special car get special treatment.

I very much doubt it'll be repaired alas, written off as economics don't work with emotion.

lesson learned, next time ensure you have an agreed value policy.

I have a mate who recently agreed just such a fixed value policy on his e34 540i (he's its second owner and its done 48k from new) good job he did as its currently sat under 8ft of water in his Carlisle home and trashed! his problem now is not in getting the payout but finding one as good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Believe me it's hard to choose sometimes always nice to have that option the M5 is at 94k now so I want to keep the mileage down, yes the M5 is your every day super saloon but to me it's a bit more special

Caporegime
Believe me it's hard to choose sometimes always nice to have that option the M5 is at 94k now so I want to keep the mileage down, yes the M5 is your every day super saloon but to me it's a bit more special

Perhaps this question is more for a "My e60 M5 thread" by you (hint! ;) ) but, how many of those 94k have been in your ownership and how have you found it? - is it as fragile as some tests allude to, does it drink like Oliver Reed etc etc

Yes, agree entirely its an every day super saloon but I can imagine you wanting to keep the miles down where possible.

Is it a long term prospect (in which case I wouldn't worry too much about miles) or do you see you moving it on eventually?

Soldato
Perhaps this question is more for a "My e60 M5 thread" by you (hint! ;) ) but, how many of those 94k have been in your ownership and how have you found it? - is it as fragile as some tests allude to, does it drink like Oliver Reed etc etc

Yes, agree entirely its an every day super saloon but I can imagine you wanting to keep the miles down where possible.

Is it a long term prospect (in which case I wouldn't worry too much about miles) or do you see you moving it on eventually?

email my trust mate, don't want to derail Robbies thread I can answer any questions you want.

Soldato
Hopefully insurance on a CAT C M3 isn't too bad if it comes to that!

Gutting for you Robbie...this is my worst nightmare. Someone ploughing into me and undoing my work that I've put into it. I have had a write off claim in the past and the accident happened on a monday and had the money in my bank by the friday. Admiral groups were great for me, very quick and efficient. They give you the worst first offer but i managed to double it.

Best of luck with it all!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Hopefully insurance on a CAT C M3 isn't too bad if it comes to that!

You misunderstand the implication of a marker, it doesn't affect running the car going forward. Its purely a marker which stays with the car for information only.

Man of Honour
OP
Had a call from Admiral this morning, they are expecting the estimate from bmw later today, and their decision tomorrow. They have arranged the car to be swapped for an insignia and have prepaid me a a week's worth of that daily £25 from today already, which is promising because if their intention was to write it off then surely they wouldn't pay a full week initially? Or maybe I'm being too optimistic :p

Either way, the E Class gets swapped on Thursday as enterprise have no Insignia cars ready right now so have reserved me the highest spec one for Thursday.

Have to say the whole experience so far has been hassle free. I appreciate how understanding the Admiral people I've been speaking to have been.

Man of Honour
. I appreciate how understanding the Admiral people I've been speaking to have been.

This is the new way insurance companies try and handle third party claims. The theory is that if they are responsive and offer you good service then you've no reason to go contacting ambulance chasing accident management firms. It also allows them to control the costs as they'll have agreements with the hire firms etc.

The net result is that we get better treatment when somebody drives into us and the total claims costs are reduced, saving everyone money.

Happy days!

Man of Honour
OP
If only all companies in the retail market treated customers this way :p

Got a call from the other repair garage (their approved one), the guy said he was just confirming the collection of my car today as he was going over the paperwork. It felt kinda sad telling him that Admiral should have let them know that I’ve chosen the main dealer instead of them :o

His response was “so it’s all over then!” - Right in the feels.

Man of Honour
OP
Yup, he had no lights on either, and claimed they were on and showed me after the accident "look they work, *flicks them on*" :/

I would post "the photo", but it would be unfair on the man and a bit out of order I think :o

Back
Top Bottom