BP Ultimate over Shell V-Power (Diesel) ?

Associate
I have a d4d. Recently posted about how it will only run on good fuel. Basically it has a variable vane turbo which gets clogged with coke deposits easily. Run it on premium fuels and it clears it and keeps it clear.
Also a bottle of turbo cleaner once in a while.

Ah! Interesting to know. Thanks for the advice. When you say 'premium' do you mean just decent non-supermarket stuff, or specifically the premium stuff at the pump (VPower or Ultimate)?

Soldato
I have a d4d. Recently posted about how it will only run on good fuel. Basically it has a variable vane turbo which gets clogged with coke deposits easily. Run it on premium fuels and it clears it and keeps it clear.
Also a bottle of turbo cleaner once in a while.

Having stripped my turbo at 145K thinking the same, shockingly it wasn't the issue. SCV's weren't the issue, fuel filter wasn't the issue, a driver swap fixed all, the same has been found multiple times now of TOC. I'm not saying the turbo can't suffer from soot buildup, but anecdotal evidence suggests like the SCV's, the electronic driver is a known weak spot. I used Costco premium for years and advocated its use, still do, but it masked the actual issue.

Caporegime
Doesn't having to fill up with ultra premium super amazing mega expensive fuel not rather defeat the object of budget motoring?

Its about 10p per l more expensive here and I do about 5k miles per year at 40ish mpg. So costs about an extra £50.
I think I can live with that.

No dpf or egr on it.

Soldato
Thanks. It’s a 2010 facelift one. Just done the fuel filter. If it keeps giving me trouble it will be a trip to WBAC!

In that case it's a MK3 (circa 2006-2013) and it's got a completely different set of potential issues. The highlights (for you wallet) include 5th injector in the exhaust, excessive oil consumption/HGF that Toyota offered a free extended warranty on and replaced engines on affected models (2.2 D4D). What specific code did it throw up?

Associate
In that case it's a MK3 (circa 2006-2013) and it's got a completely different set of potential issues. The highlights (for you wallet) include 5th injector in the exhaust, excessive oil consumption/HGF that Toyota offered a free extended warranty on and replaced engines on affected models (2.2 D4D). What specific code did it throw up?

I didn't get the codes. I just took it into my local mechanic who said there was one relating to an injector that had been changed about 9 months previously, but he couldn't find a problem with it. If it comes back I'll make sure to get the codes. It's been very good on oil consumption. It's high mileage, but has a good service history.

Soldato
I didn't get the codes. I just took it into my local mechanic who said there was one relating to an injector that had been changed about 9 months previously, but he couldn't find a problem with it. If it comes back I'll make sure to get the codes. It's been very good on oil consumption. It's high mileage, but has a good service history.

Hopefully just a blip, but if it does pop up again I would suggest a cheap bluetooth diagnostic dongle and Dash Commander from your preferred app store is a cheap and quick option. If/when this happens, head over to Toyota Owners Club, registration is free and the issues, recall notices and fixes have been well documented.

We have MK2/3/4/5 currently in use within the family, all have been stupidly reliable and we'll have done over 500K at this point in diesel RAV's, the MK3 has literally had nothing but service items/consumables in 13 years despite being in the affected build window for engine issues - of course now i've said that, it'll burst into flames.

Associate
Hopefully just a blip, but if it does pop up again I would suggest a cheap bluetooth diagnostic dongle and Dash Commander from your preferred app store is a cheap and quick option. If/when this happens, head over to Toyota Owners Club, registration is free and the issues, recall notices and fixes have been well documented.

We have MK2/3/4/5 currently in use within the family, all have been stupidly reliable and we'll have done over 500K at this point in diesel RAV's, the MK3 has literally had nothing but service items/consumables in 13 years despite being in the affected build window for engine issues - of course now i've said that, it'll burst into flames.

Wow that's quite impressive! There's a lot to like about these cars. I just hope I can stay out of the mechanic's for a while with mine!

Soldato
It's become a challenge to stop the pump at exactly £20/£30/£40 full pounds worth of fuel - never got into the just fill the tank methodology -

got some of the BP 97/5% 'Assurance' ( was it ) today 1.659 , first visit for 10 weeks - they should probably hand out co-proximal with the receipt.

Associate
Tell me about it. I filled up on BP Ultimate yesterday and it was 1.699. Are these premium fuels not just the normal fuel with cleaning additives (at least for diesel)? In which case why not just use Redex with the normal fuel, because that's only £2 a shot. I find it confusing.

Back
Top Bottom