BP Ultimate over Shell V-Power (Diesel) ?

Man of Honour
Apologies for high-jacking but i've got to change the oil in my Audi A4. It states that it takes 3.8L, could I put in 4L and get away with it?
I fill it up just under the recommended amount. Then keep checking the dipstick as I finish topping it up to get it to the top of the marker. But no higher (not an A4).

You need to get it between the min and max marker on the dipstick. Too little is obviously bad. But so it too much.

Caporegime
Apologies for high-jacking but i've got to change the oil in my Audi A4. It states that it takes 3.8L, could I put in 4L and get away with it?

why would you stick more in?

having too much oil will burst all the seals. causing thousands of damage in the long term.

the engine will leak oil constantly if not fixed.

Soldato
Soldato
Correct amount, run engine for a few mins, check again, top up accordingly, bish bash bosh
Says Edd china from old wheeler dealers episodes

Caporegime
I usually put in 200ML too little first, check the stick, then top it up according to what I see on the stick, just in case it takes a little less for whatever reason, cos its easier to put more in than to drain some out. Then I'll run it and top up accordingly.

Soldato
I usually put in 200ML too little first, check the stick, then top it up according to what I see on the stick, just in case it takes a little less for whatever reason, cos its easier to put more in than to drain some out. Then I'll run it and top up accordingly.

It always amazes me when youtubers do an oil change so quickly and accurately. I've never had a vehicle actually take the correct amount of oil and it scares me to death putting too little in and running it!

I do your method though, eventually get the right amount

It always amazes me when youtubers do an oil change so quickly and accurately. I've never had a vehicle actually take the correct amount of oil and it scares me to death putting too little in and running it!

I think most quote dry capacity, its hard to get it all out so in reality your probably never dry filling. I agree on the filling or planning to fill a little short and then topping up.
Not that I service myself now but if capacity is listed as 3.8, I would fill 3.6 or so. Then top up afterwards.

Some (in fact a lot now) seem to want you to check when the oil is warm and the engine recently run. I forget now but think the mini was something like 2 minutes after the engine is switched off and is warm. IIRC audi is the same.

Not sure why this is a thing now that they seem to want to measure warm oil where as it always seemed to be measured with cold oil.

Soldato
I was told it was a fuel with detergent additives from their bulk supplier, the equivalent of VP or BP Ultimate, and - interestingly - they said the higher purchase price per litre was more than offset by increased mpg across the fleet but more so by DPF issues with the Scania trucks in 2015 when they started buying the brand being resolved by switching to effectively premium fuel.
Interesting - pity you can't try some in your car
aren't you sometimes filling up on motorways, or non-company premises, so the (cheaper?) price is known too,
is a lorry operating at full working temerature more percentage of its life too .. which might reduce particulate, and make dpf regeneration opportunity easier too.

[for filling up/over with oil I usually put the right quanity aside, using empty can from previous fills, so that there is no possibility of overfill, during the can tipping manouver,
... unless you chicken out with a funnel, so with 4l cans and needing 6.5l I will put 2.5l in an old can first, and then just decant from a full one]

Edit: of course drain the oil hot, and I even drop/raise front of car on the jack to get most drops out

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the car still has 1.9 ltrs of oil in it after he has drained the sump and removed the filter then i suggest he gives up car maintenance and does something more his speed; licking windows perhaps?

I do however agree that not all oil will come out, so i'm unsure if the 3.8 ltr is original dry fill numbers or after a drain.

Soldato
Just to elaborate a bit i'll be draining all the oil tomorrow and replacing the oil filter too. It looks like the oil filter well might take about 200ML hence me asking if I could put all 4 litres in and not the rated 3.8.

Soldato
I just pour mine in until it reaches the 710 cap. Bit smokey, bonus is I don't have to worry about tailgaters.. or I just don't see them!

Soldato

It's quite simple really, if you do a filter change too, and you have a 4 litre bottle and 1 litre bottle. Dump the full 4 in and then around half of the 1 litre depending on the amount it needs. You have already chugged 4 litres in for starters!

Permabanned
I think I remember reading somewhere for my old mk2 golf that the difference between the minimum and maximum mark was about 1lt. Quite possibly similar for most other cars?

Bear in mind it’ll take more oil if you change the filter.

I’ve always chucked just under 4lt, checked and topped if necessary. Worse comes to worse you may need to drain a little if your too generous. Not the end of the world.

Soldato
I always manage to get bang on the dipstick max level when I do an oil change, just a skill I have I guess. My secret - look at how much I drained out into the oil can, assess the oil slick on the drive from where I inevitably drop the old filter trying to get it off at arms length so I don't have to jack up the car and add on the amount that is over my hands, arms and face... like all the pro home mechanics do ;)

Back
Top Bottom