brake Checked!

dsb

dsb

Associate
OP
Sorry not been able to post. The driver was given a written warning on Monday and taken out for a re assessment. At no point did I say my driver was in the right.

What does suprise me is the amount of people who think what the car driver did was ok!

Regardless of this situation please never do what the car driver did, slamming on his brakes could have ended a lot worse.

The car driver has admitted to his insurance that he did brake check our driver but they have not admitted fault.

I have taken the video down as there is no need to leave it up any longer.

Edit: there is no sound as the cameras are in cab and as they are sleeper cabs no sound is recorded. The only thing extra would be speed.

Soldato
Difficult call on whether you take the issue to the police, too,
car driver is admitting to dangerous driving, but maybe the lorry driver is categorised similarly.

Associate
Sorry not been able to post. The driver was given a written warning on Monday and taken out for a re assessment. At no point did I say my driver was in the right.

What does suprise me is the amount of people who think what the car driver did was ok!

Regardless of this situation please never do what the car driver did, slamming on his brakes could have ended a lot worse.

The car driver has admitted to his insurance that he did brake check our driver but they have not admitted fault.

Edit: there is no sound as the cameras are in cab and as they are sleeper cabs no sound is recorded. The only thing extra would be speed.

From an insurance point of view they may decide to repudiate the claim due to the admission of the brake check, but ultimately your driver would still be at fault.

Yes what the car driver did was frankly ****ish and stupid, but your driver, being the vehicle behind has the higher duty of care to ensure that they are leaving adequate space to stop in case of idiots like this or for genuine emergencies, especially given the weather conditions and the fact that your driver must have already felt the car's standard of driving wasn't up to scratch, even more so given that your driver is a professional driver and therefore should be one hell of a lot more savvy on the road.

For reference, this is my job.

Caporegime

Fair play for the reply, I wasn't expecting you to post tbh.

Glad you've taken action, I hope the driver learns from the situation we (as drivers) have all been in.

Ultimately, as a professional driver, we all know the crap that goes down and you have to expect the most unexpected as ,generally, we've already seen it all!

The car driver was an idiot, undoubtedly, but your driver was the professional who should know better and your video had plenty of red flags that should have told him to back it right off.

I'd have sacked him (let's face it,no loss to him, he'd be on agency at Stobarts tomorrow....) I just hope he's learned the lesson I sat a good few years back..... ;)

Associate
the car driver is an idiot if he purposely brake checked - but is there any chance he slammed on for any other reason?.

did the driver admit to brake checking, or braking hard? I can't imagine he's admitted to his insurance that he purposely brake checked, but then not admitted any fault - but, I could imagine him admitting to slamming on the brakes but not admitting fault?

surely they can just say that an animal ran out onto the road after the junction and they anchored on? instantly 100% fault the lorry driver?

as a professional driver, surely he knows that he's not going to get there any faster by being 1 or 5 car lengths from the car in front? so why risk it and upset others?

Soldato
Has anyone ever had first hand experience with a fault or false trigger from an autonomous braking system on their car? I’ve read about it happening but not sure if it is something that actually happens in the real world. Just playing devils advocate/hypothetical situation.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Lets not get dumb here, the vast majority of people pulling away from a set of traffic lights would hit the car in front if it set off and then suddenly stopped dead with no apparent reason why.
Vast majority? Nope. Most people are competent, alert drivers.

**comments removed**

Where?

I wish I saw this video, any chance of taking it off private?

"Last edited by a moderator: 22 minutes ago" - wow... and if I ask for their justification I will get banned again. Lovely.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has anyone ever had first hand experience with a fault or false trigger from an autonomous braking system on their car? I’ve read about it happening but not sure if it is something that actually happens in the real world. Just playing devils advocate/hypothetical situation.

Only issue I've experienced in vehicles with adaptive cruise + autonomous braking is being slow resuming to speed after slowing down and/or not resuming to speed without manual intervention (without the system actually disabling itself due to requiring manual input) not experienced a false emergency braking event yet.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I had a Ford which beeped when it anticipated a crash but it seemed to go off about 50 times every journey, made the car unbearable to drive - i can imagine how bad that system would have been if it actually applied the brakes rather than simply audio alerts.

Caporegime
I had a Ford which beeped when it anticipated a crash but it seemed to go off about 50 times every journey, made the car unbearable to drive - i can imagine how bad that system would have been if it actually applied the brakes rather than simply audio alerts.
The system in my Scania applies the brakes if it thinks your ignoring it’s warning, usually when weaving around parked cars in town centres, because in an artic you have to point the tractor not necessarily in the intended direction of travel to allow the trailer to clear whatever obstacle(s) the sensors continually assume your about to drive into an obstruction and applies the brakes, annoying, traffic behind you thinks you’ve lost the plot, and it tends to spill my brew in the cup holder...:p

Soldato
Vast majority? Nope. Most people are competent, alert drivers.
disagree too -
when you pull away from the lights, like, 50mph roundabouts on motorway exits,
if you have evaluated the driver ahead as competent, attentive, and, they then pulled pulled away onto an obstacle free road,
if they then emergency braked I doubt you'd have the margin.
This is the basis of the crash for cash schemes too - no ? dash cam prevalence may have helped reduce them, like this case.

Even with automated braking, I doubt that can solve the mathematical problem of leaving enough margin,
by modelling two bodies accelerating,plus the road surface grip.

Soldato
The car driver has admitted to his insurance that he did brake check our driver

Nobody is condoning brake-checking. It was more that we don't - or didn't - know the reason behind the braking.

Soldato

If I had that in writing, I'd go to the police afterwards. That's deliberately causing an accident the consequences of which could have been severe.

Associate
Brake checking (I thought it was called brake testing?) a HGV. Well thats going to end well.

I kind of feel for the HGV driver, yeah the driver got a little impatient, its hardly Duel.

Soldato

Not that this is what happened.

But I've had my car shout at me while pushing on down a B road in the lake district, must have been the tight turns with high hedges and I think I have the radar distance set fairly far out.

The system does brake apparently but I've never had it operate past the warning phase.

Soldato
disagree too -
when you pull away from the lights, like, 50mph roundabouts on motorway exits,
if you have evaluated the driver ahead as competent, attentive, and, they then pulled pulled away onto an obstacle free road,
if they then emergency braked I doubt you'd have the margin.
This is the basis of the crash for cash schemes too - no ? dash cam prevalence may have helped reduce them, like this case.

Even with automated braking, I doubt that can solve the mathematical problem of leaving enough margin,
by modelling two bodies accelerating,plus the road surface grip.

This tends to be how most people get caught out. They assume the driver in front will have gone because that's exactly what they would have done.

I deliberately don't even bother looking right until i can see the car in front has joined the roundabout without braking.

Associate
I don't think that what the car driver did was necessarily correct (if it was a brake check then clearly not) but at the same time emergency stops can happen at any time for genuine reasons, and that's why I think it's right that the driver behind should always be held responsible. It's not like you can choose to back off once the driver in front has slammed on the brakes for a genuine reason...

Basically I agree with this, so I'm happy that this is how the industry views it:

From an insurance point of view they may decide to repudiate the claim due to the admission of the brake check, but ultimately your driver would still be at fault.

Yes what the car driver did was frankly ****ish and stupid, but your driver, being the vehicle behind has the higher duty of care to ensure that they are leaving adequate space to stop in case of idiots like this or for genuine emergencies, especially given the weather conditions and the fact that your driver must have already felt the car's standard of driving wasn't up to scratch, even more so given that your driver is a professional driver and therefore should be one hell of a lot more savvy on the road.

For reference, this is my job.

Associate
This tends to be how most people get caught out. They assume the driver in front will have gone because that's exactly what they would have done.

I deliberately don't even bother looking right until i can see the car in front has joined the roundabout without braking.

Yeah, it's important to balance checking for oncoming traffic with checking that the car in front has actually moved. I always brace myself when I have to abort joining a roundabout for whatever reason, because I'm aware of the tendency to look right and gun it once you think the car in front is going.

Back
Top Bottom