Poll: Brazilian Prix 2018, São Paulo - Race 20/21

Rate the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
3v1D5qq.png
São Paulo
When was the track built?
Building work began on what ended up being called the Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace – but what is more commonly referred to as Interlagos – all the way back in 1938. The track designers took their inspiration from three main circuits: Brooklands in the UK, Roosevelt Raceway in the USA and Montlhery in France.
When was its first Grand Prix?
Buoyed by the success of Brazil’s Emerson Fittipaldi, Formula 1 first jetted into Interlagos for a world championship race in 1973. Fans were treated to a home win in the first three Brazilian Grands Prix, with Fittipaldi victorious in 1973 and 1974, while Carlos Pace won in 1975.
What’s the circuit like?
Like many pre-World War II tracks, Interlagos features banked corners, with the drivers beginning their lap on a sort of half oval – in fact, between 1957 and the track’s return to the F1 calendar in 1990, Interlagos could be run as a giant oval. After wiggling through the Senna S and down to Turn 4, the drivers then go through a snaking in-field section with some challenging camber changes, before slinging back up the hill and through the banked final turn.
Why go?
A carnival atmosphere really does dominate in Brazil, and watching Formula 1 cars alongside the locals is something every F1 fan should experience. True, it doesn’t look like there’ll be a local driver to cheer on any time soon, but that won’t stop the party at Interlagos.
Where is the best place to watch?
Because of the bowl-like nature of the track, a place in Grandstand A on the banked entry to the start-finish straight will give you a double whammy of views, allowing you to see the cars winding through the infield section and then passing underneath you. On the other end of the straight, Grandstand M will put you on top of the first corner and the Senna S, the best spot to watch overtakes on the track.

TV Times
Sky:
HB3sWkv.png
C4:
IDgu390.png

Track Diagram & Information
1WvIrZJ.png

Weather Forecast
VrfAOgP.png

2017 Race Edit
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/11/Race_highlights_-_Brazil_2017.html

Brazil GP Preview
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ers-on-interlagos.6zmM8FUym4qUoYogMOQM2M.html

WDC Standings
lD1tCw3.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
PBdXILI.png

Practice 1
[to be added]

Practice 2
[to be added]

Practice 3
[to be added]

Qualifying
[to be added]

Race
[to be added]

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hopefully we see a straight Ferrari vs Merc fight, which should be interesting given the weather :cool:

Soldato
And Button was nearly robbed in 2010, and McLaren had a team van held at gunpoint for a while a few years ago. There's a long list of incidents over the years as the track literally backs on to the favelas. The team's security arrangements for this race are anything but a joke.

Man of Honour
But it's Interlagos, and like Spa the weather forecasts are anything but accurate.

Best thing to do there to predict the weather is to stick your head out of window.

Caporegime
Hope it rains, hope Merc/Ferrari kind of realise the fight is over and both just go screw it, Abu Dhabi sucks, lets just go full engine full tires, multiple stops and full on racing against each other.

Abu Dhabi.... not a great track at the best of times but it was truly a horrendous race last year. I might well just consider the season over after Brazil and forget Abu Dhabi exists.

Sooner we get that off being the season closer the better.

Man of Honour
Last year there were a series of armed robberies when team staff were leaving the track, led to Pirelli and McLaren having to cancel a week's testing planned at the circuit after the race.
It's been going on a very long time.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/13/mclaren-interlagos-security-f1-brazilian-grand-prix

Oh yes, I forgot about that.

Hope it rains, hope Merc/Ferrari kind of realise the fight is over and both just go screw it, Abu Dhabi sucks, lets just go full engine full tires, multiple stops and full on racing against each other.

Abu Dhabi.... not a great track at the best of times but it was truly a horrendous race last year. I might well just consider the season over after Brazil and forget Abu Dhabi exists.

I am only looking forward to it to see the sun go down and lights come on in 4K :D

Soldato
I agree, but given that they reputedly pay double the standard race fee just to have that place in the calendar I don't see it happening any time soon. The only way would be if Liberty stop chasing the money and start making a better show, but their recent announcement of Vietnam would seem to show that's not the case.

Soldato
Thanks for posting that, I remember that race well too. It also reminded me the Fred and Webber have been involved in some of the more spectacular crashes over the years!

Absolutely shockingly poor (by today's standards) calls on safety. When Schumacher became the third person to slide off, the race was still running and the circuit active yet there were marshals in danger on the wrong side of the barriers. Only partially related, but I still put significant responsibility on race control and Charlie Whiting for the decision making playing a part in Bianchi's tragic accident.

Man of Honour
We won't start a race in anything more than slightly damp conditions, but the rain comes down and there are marshalls clearing a car away with a tractor on the track and all we have are some yellow flags and a SC sign. No, it doesn't seem like the best decision. People forget this when drivers like Vettel get penalised for speeding under flags - they are there for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom