Bread Maker or Stand Mixer?

Soldato
Do you use/prefer a bread maker or Stand Mixer? Why?

Is there much time difference in making bread or pizza dough between the two types of machine (equal value)?

We will only be making bread and pizza doughs. The occasional cake may feature but can't think of anything else we would want to make.

Our stand mixer gets a lot more use than our bread maker, but that’s because a lot more cake than bread is made!

I really like our bread maker, but if you’re just making dough then the stand mixer might be a better option as it’ll be more versatile. Only downside I can see is that the breadmaker will be better for dough proving.

stand mixer (kenwood chef) is great for creaming for cakes with flexi-beater, and food processor attachment for pastry,
bread - unfortunately most stand mixers (like kc) don't have spiral dough hooks, just these C things, so not much good for bread, even if I was prepared to then turn the oven on just for baking bread , can't bake bread in an air fryer - all videos show poor results. (top end KA's have spirals eg. https://momsbakingco.com/kitchenaid-dough-hook-vs-spiral/)

so use the Panasonic bread machine for both bread and pizza dough, very convenient , no mess and makes at least a loaf a week, not as good as the ~£3 artisanal loafs I could buy on the market at brownbread
but for 50p a loaf as good as any supermarket specials.

kenwood chefs are bullet proof, ours purchased 2nd hand, and 5+ years, in; Panasonic bread machines we've bought new, and not as robust.

Stand mixer would get my vote. We used to have both but the bread maker got given away very soon after we got the Kenwood Chef. They're bullet proof too, my mother in law still uses the Chef she was given as a wedding present in 1976.

The Chef does a better job of kneading the dough and cooking bread in the oven means we can make whatever shape we want. Making rolls for example in a bread maker is a bit awkward.

I have both, a panasonic Bread Maker and a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer. i don't make cake so I use the bread maker most and I thing if your goal is just to mix and make dough, and for versatility and durability, the stand mixer is a better product. However, it also cost more. My Bread Maker was like £120 on Prime Day, The Kitchen Aid is like £450.

Last edited:
Use my bread maker much more than the mixer, makes great dough and proves it as well.
I get better results this way Vs mixer and proving.

I agree that the Kenwood would create better dough than Panasonic, and relations add enhancers(butter) which most panasonic recipes suggest,
I never do , the convenience of it's combined dough and cook remains.

very soon after we got the Kenwood Chef.

my kenwood is the base 1000W one, not sure it would have the oomph for much dough, too; 1400W one in which you can put a spiral hook is what i'd like to try.,
doing several loaves is more economic, so >1KG flour

my kenwood is the base 1000W one, not sure it would have the oomph for much dough, too; 1400W one in which you can put a spiral hook is what i'd like to try.,
doing several loaves is more economic, so >1KG flour
I just checked, ours is 1100W and it's coped fine with everything we've thrown at it. We've got a dough hook (2 actually) for ours.

I use my Panasonic bread maker exclusively to make dough and do the first prove. It’s fantastic and so easy. Three minutes to add all the ingredients, push the button and four hours later I’ve got my bread dough all ready for shaping and a second prove.

You can see pictures of the bread I’ve baked using that dough in the last few pages of the big bread thread in here.

For the convenience, I think it’s completely worth it. I’d never use it again to actually bake the bread but for dough, it’s superb.

I use my Panasonic bread maker exclusively to make dough and do the first prove. It’s fantastic and so easy. Three minutes to add all the ingredients, push the button and four hours later I’ve got my bread dough all ready for shaping and a second prove.

You can see pictures of the bread I’ve baked using that dough in the last few pages of the big bread thread in here.

For the convenience, I think it’s completely worth it. I’d never use it again to actually bake the bread but for dough, it’s superb.

I do actually bake bread with mine and it’s still pretty good, very convenient since i can time it for breakfast.

They both have it’s uses.

p.s. I just checked, the Kitchenaid Artisan i bought during lockdown has gone up another £50, it’s now £550!!! My sister bought the same model 10 years ago for about £300.

so do you have a spiral hook, or C shaped

We've got 2 of these

Thanks for the comments. We have purchased a Kenwood kMix as it dropped down to £205 with Kenwood direct. Seemed great value for money.

so are you using the panasonic bread recipes with dough enhancers, mentioned earlier or DIY ?
Nope, I throw in yeast, flour, salt, sugar, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and water and hit the bread program. I have a timer which stops it before it starts baking and take the dough out.

unfortunately most stand mixers (like kc) don't have spiral dough hooks, just these C things, so not much good for bread, even if I was prepared to then turn the oven on just for baking bread
They only cost about £15, though...

Unless break makers have greatly improved in the last five years, or you need to spend half a grand to get a good one, I wouldn't say they're anywhere near as good as oven baking. We went through 4 different ones in the end and the only time a loaf turned out anywhere near as good as shop-bought ones was when we used a brioche recipe. Everything else was just thick and stodgy, so for something that takes up so much room for only one function, it just wasn't worth it.

Do you use/prefer a bread maker or Stand Mixer? Why?

Is there much time difference in making bread or pizza dough between the two types of machine (equal value)?

We will only be making bread and pizza doughs. The occasional cake may feature but can't think of anything else we would want to make.
A bread maker will do what you need it to do with the all of the above, the trick is knowing how to manipulate it to get what you desire. That of course takes knowledge.
The @Feek reciepe in the bread thread is a perfect example of what you can do with a bread maker.

They only cost about £15, though...
more like £35, if you research what the pros use and how the spirals improve the bread, then like a flexi-beater they are a must have, if they fit on your kenwood/KitchenAid.
If I update the stand mixer at some point I'll get one, and bake bread on the tail end of other oven use,

youv'e tried a panasonic bread make I guess , as said they are not press and forget, and I'll inspect the hydration after the initial needing, like slashing the loaf just before it bakes to help bloom

edit: night and day courtesy of https://web.archive.org/web/2016033...garthurflour.com/content/best-kitchenaid-tips
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/q...eoffs-between-spiral-and-c-shaped-dough-hooks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom