BREAKING: Paris landmark, Notre Dame Cathedral, is on fire!

Soldato
How absolutely heartbreaking.

I've been there a 2-3 times over the years, last time as recently as last summer. I hope no matter how much damage it receives, it gets fully restored. If they can rebuild the Catty Sark almost from scratch then it can be done.

Caporegime

I've been there a 2-3 times over the years, last time as recently as last summer. I hope no matter how much damage it receives, it gets fully restored. If they can rebuild the Catty Sark almost from scratch then it can be done.
I don't know.

We spend millions, billions probably, keeping these things erect and safe and looking pristine, well beyond their naturally lifetimes, in a mammoth effort to resist their natural decay.

I do understand that they are great works of art. But they were built by people who looked forwards and lived in the moment. And could muster the money and resolve to create great works.

Whereas we today are trying to look backwards and hold on to these things, well past their natural lifetimes, spending vast (incredible) sums restoring and maintaining them.

Listen, if the Houses of Parliament burned down tomorrow I wouldn't really care either. Well I would if there were any loss of life. But it's just an old structure.

Let's do what they did and build something new and be creative.

Let the old decay and then when it's run its course replace it.

That is the lesson from nature and the natural world. Things have a lifetime and then comes renewal. And fire is often a part of that!

We on the other hand try to keep things going forever..

Of course someone might have calculated that they are worth more in tourism revenue than they costs in maintenance. Fair enough.

I just won't shed a tear about an old (admittedly grand) building reaching the end of its very long life.

Caporegime
I don't know.

We spend millions, billions probably, keeping these things erect and safe and looking pristine, well beyond their naturally lifetimes, in a mammoth effort to resist their natural decay.

I do understand that they are great works of art. But they were built by people who looked forwards and lived in the moment. And could muster the money and resolve to create great works.

Whereas we today are trying to look backwards and hold on to these things, well past their natural lifetimes, spending vast (incredible) sums restoring and maintaining them.

Listen, if the Houses of Parliament burned down tomorrow I wouldn't really care either. Well I would if there were any loss of life. But it's just an old structure.

Let's do what they did and build something new and be creative.

Let the old decay and then when it's run its course replace it.

That is the lesson from nature and the natural world. Things have a lifetime and then comes renewal. And fire is often a part of that!

We on the other hand try to keep things going forever..

Of course someone might have calculated that they are worth more in tourism revenue than they costs in maintenance. Fair enough.

I just won't shed a tear about an old (admittedly grand) building reaching the end of its very long life.

It took 180 years to build, I would say they were patient rather than forward looking.

Soldato

I hope so but it's not certain they can save enough of it. I treated my missus to a visit to Paris when she was pregnant so we have great memories of visiting here. One of the great churches/buildings in the world. :(

Back
Top Bottom