Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
That would pretty much meet the definition of democracy, yes.

Democracy isn't about derailing a decision made by a majority because you, as the minority, don't accept it. That was my point. There's a lot of self entitlement in that notion. It's about having a say/vote. We all got one. A decision was made as a result of a majority outcome.

Caporegime
Democracy isn't about derailing a decision made by a majority because you, as the minority, don't accept it. That was my point. There's a lot of self entitlement in that notion. It's about having a say/vote. We all got one. A decision was made as a result of a majority outcome.

Protest is a part of democracy. Nobody is passing judgement on whether a vote should be overturned, but the act of expressing opposition to the way a decision went is absolutely democracy in action.

Man of Honour
OP
Angus Robertson: no intention at all on allowing Scotland to be taken out of the EU.

He's gone on to criticise the Leave party for not having a plan. Finally someone said it! BTW they all laughed at the suggestion that the Brexit plan should've come from No. 10.

This is from an SNP MP.

Soldato
Late to the party, but the Government should have planned for both outcomes, even if Cameron didn't want to stay to implement the Leave one.

and how does he plan for brexit with the EU / EC while at the same time trying to negotiate a better deal to stay. It's simply not possible and would in no way have been entertained by any of the EU member states.

Cameron cut his cloth accordingly, he was spearheading the remain campaign and thus his plans were around ensuring the best UK position possible within the EU moving forward.

This isn't like drawing up a plan for my holiday where if the flight is cancelled I have a plan B to go to bognor regis.

Soldato
Scotland prepared a 600 plus paged document detailing a plan for exit with the UK. The conservatives did not make that plan for them.

So what? The tories are in power regardless of the result so they should have a plan.

Again, grow pair, admit you were wrong and maybe we can go forward.

That passive aggressive! So fierce!

Last edited:
Caporegime

I understand that, but you can't then say people can't protest that decision :confused:?

Permabanned
Yea, i realise that, but lets not pretend every news source doesn't have an agenda too. Switzerland still withdrew it's application, Iceland withdrew it's application. If the EU is so incredible, they wouldn't have done that.

Why are you leaving out the fact that these countries still have access to the single market and free movement of people. Would you be happy with that?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am really keen to, esp as my local MP is a Remain on, and Winchester voted to Remain (60%+). Any idea what exactly to write i.e. terminology, wording, etc?

Personally, I won't be doing so. I linked it as comment on what is going on.

If you want to, google "advice on writing to your MP". Letters are usually more effective than e-mails; keep it short and to the point; don't use a form letter; and keep it polite and respectful.

Man of Honour
I understand that, but you can't then say people can't protest that decision :confused:?

It also remains utterly bonkers that something so life changing for so many required only a simple majority.

Nothing else is like that. You can't change the US constitution with 51% of the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom