Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't be silly. A system like they have used in the US in the past, where for such a major decision, 60% or 70% of the population have to be in favour, for example.

It simply is not right for this sort of change to be even considered when almost half the population are against it. Quite probably more than half if the votes were cast again following this mess.

All that does is protect the status quo for ever. Nearly 4% extra voted for leave. And its conjecture that leave voters would now vote remain, don't eat too much of that media medicine. There's a case to be made that people who voted remain may have voted leave also... We could go on and on.

Soldato
Some drunk chaps with a banner were not the ones shouting at me in Stevenage town centre to **** off home. Unless you have been at the sharp end of racial hatred you have no frigging idea what it is like No personal attacks - Gilly.

Anyone being racist like this on the back of the referendum result need to be arrested and locked up for min 3 months, no messing around, they are scumbags.

Man of Honour
"As all eyes were on the British referendum tonight members of the European Parliament quietly announced a new travel document allowing migrants from outside the EU to travel within the 28 member states."

"Mike Hookem MEP said "How convenient that they chose this evening, with polls now closed, to discuss a proposal to make it even easier for migrants to get into the EU."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/682887/EU-announces-migrant-passpost-on-EU-referendum-day

Phew.. :D

Now read the actual document not the Express.

Soldato
and Camerons plan for the event of a brexit victory was to let the leave campaign present their plans for the Future UK. He made that clear through resigning, so technically we can say he has given us his plan.

Government plans and processes don't get reinvented every time a new party comes to power parties affect them through strategy and policy changes but plans and processes persist in the world of documentation and collateral stored away as data

Man of Honour
OP
Cameron says the vote stands and no second vote :)

As it should be.

There's a 'lot of complex decision making as the best way to manage this' though, and he's made it very clear it's down to the next government too. One of those outcomes might end up being to be out of the EU and might not!

Yvette Cooper has just made a very good point. Cross-house cross-party group to define the future. Not down to DC any more though.

Sir Gerald Howarth has just asking DC to reconsider his decision. The country has made a 'very clear decision' and needs fresh leadership committed to that path and he won't change his mind.

What happens if they can't find someone committed to it?

Alex Salmond has ruined the right honourable member for Uxbridge - Boris.

Soldato
Another report of the 'casual racism' that is emerging

In Boston (surprise surprise) one of the Polish workers in my friends business was walking down the road talking Polish on the phone and he has been set upon and beaten up whilst being told to go home....

Yes it has been reported to the police, who told him he should stay indoors at this difficult time :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29700853 said:
I've answered this about 10 times now but it should have been a vote in parliament by our elected representatives. If it absolutely had to be a referendum then inline with most other major democracies a significant change from the status quo should have required a greater majority, a minimum turnout or a combination of the two.

Our democratic system isn't designed for referendum which is demonstrated by the fact there have been only 3 in the history of the UK.

Just imagine the sort of genuinely awful things you could pass in a simple referendum majority!

Agree to disagree.. This is a strategic decision for the future and my opinion is we needed consensus from the electorate, and we got it.

Soldato
Watching PMQ and everybody saying they want access to the single market. That will entail free movement of people and all the other things we currently have. The turmoil in the markets with its on going costs to industry due to the weak pound for the next whatever to be in a position that is very similar to the one we now occupy. What is the point?

Man of Honour
OP
Watching PMQ and everybody saying they want access to the single market. That will entail free movement of people and all the other things we currently have. The turmoil in the markets with its on going costs to industry due to the weak pound for the next whatever to be in a position that is very similar to the one we now occupy. What is the point?

True dat. That is, in essence, the very position we are in and how I cannot fathom the stance of deuse and so on. There's no plan, it feels like we'll end up where we were but worse off.

Associate
Cameron speaks with conviction on this. Clear most MPs still can't quite grasp the reality of the decision. Doesn't sound like this going to be reversed. The UK will leave the EU step by step until the process is completed. Wheels are already very slowly starting to turn.

Caporegime
A 52/48 vote for Remain would have settled nothing, and the UK's politicians would have carried on argue about, against, and for the EU. The difference between a narrow Remain win, and a narrow Leave win, is the Drunkard's Walk effect. Once we've fallen into the Leave gutter we're stuck there. The same thing applies to the Scottish referendum, sooner or later Scotland will leave the UK because 'Yes' only have to win once, while 'No' have to win every single time.

Man of Honour
OP
Cameron speaks with conviction on this. Clear most MPs still can't quite grasp the reality of the decision. Doesn't sound like this going to be reversed. The UK will leave the EU step by step until the process is completed. Wheels are already very slowly starting to turn.

Actually, he's just said the decision will lie with the new government.

I've an awful fear that this "there was no plan for Brexit" lie will become the new "Labour made a mess of the economy" :(

In my perception both are true, but let's leave aside the Labour comment for now - if there's a Brexit plan where is it? Where are those that own it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom