Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime

Made me click. Deport all cyclists! :mad: :p

"As all eyes were on the British referendum tonight members of the European Parliament quietly announced a new travel document allowing migrants from outside the EU to travel within the 28 member states."

"Mike Hookem MEP said "How convenient that they chose this evening, with polls now closed, to discuss a proposal to make it even easier for migrants to get into the EU."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/682887/EU-announces-migrant-passpost-on-EU-referendum-day

Phew.. :D

As already mentioned, read the document, not the express. That article is just one sided twisted rubbish I imagine.

Soldato
If that is what he said, that implies to me that we will have a general election before A50 procedure starts and after a new Conservative leader has been elected.

So, general election in October?;)

I think the Europeans will be seriously peed off if the next Leader says sorry we cannot start because we are going to call an election and I might not be Leader in three months time.

Associate
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa73a0076-3bd9-11e6-a77d-3f49e917730f.jpg

Caporegime
Not must, it's a suggestion.

If I understand how the Tory party works correctly, it's a bit more than a suggestion. I was under the impression that the Tory party almost invariable accepted such recommendations. However, I'm more than happy to be corrected on the minutiae of the inner workings of the Tory party if you know better?

Man of Honour
OP
I think the Europeans will be seriously peed off if the next Leader says sorry we cannot start because we are going to call an election and I might not be Leader in three months time.

...and then a party is voted in with a pro-EU manifesto and we don't exit? :p

If I understand how the Tory party works correctly, it's a bit more than a suggestion. I was under the impression that the Tory party almost invariable accepted such recommendations. However, I'm more than happy to be corrected on the minutiae of the inner workings of the Tory party if you know better?

Absolutely not, I was just going on the wording :)

Soldato
Out of curiousity, could a full "Brexit" not be done in the following long-winded way..

1) Move to Norway Model
2) Take time to negotiate trade deals with rest of world
3) Leave Norway model and negotiate new trade deal with the EU (if it still exists)

?

Suspended
[TW]Fox;29700853 said:
I've answered this about 10 times now but it should have been a vote in parliament by our elected representatives. If it absolutely had to be a referendum then inline with most other major democracies a significant change from the status quo should have required a greater majority, a minimum turnout or a combination of the two.

Our democratic system isn't designed for referendum which is demonstrated by the fact there have been only 3 in the history of the UK.

Just imagine the sort of genuinely awful things you could pass in a simple referendum majority!

Blah, Blah, Blah! Usual crap response from Fox.

Soldato
If that is what he said, that implies to me that we will have a general election before A50 procedure starts and after a new Conservative leader has been elected.

So, general election in October?;)

Why is he saying new government rather than the new leadership of the current government ? Sounds a bit like GE or am I reading too much into the semantics ?

Soldato
Watching PMQ and everybody saying they want access to the single market. That will entail free movement of people and all the other things we currently have. The turmoil in the markets with its on going costs to industry due to the weak pound for the next whatever to be in a position that is very similar to the one we now occupy. What is the point?

Even so, If we went the EFTA-EEA route or EFTA-Bilateral-agreement route we will have more control over our own country than we already do. There are a lot of EU policies and legislation that EFTA members are not restricted by.

We can essentially make our own economy more attractive in ways that we currently cannot. Due to EU legislation and laws that restrict us.

Soldato

yes, but on the other hand they would also have to understand that this country is in political meltdown, the opposition is AWOL and the current leader has resigned and is effectively on gardening leave. The Leave group have seemingly no plans and are very quiet / backtracking. So yeah, they might be peed off but what can really happen right now ?

Man of Honour
OP
Why is he saying new government rather than the new leadership of the current government ? Sounds a bit like GE or am I reading too much into the semantics ?

I think he's just being slippery, and not going into specifics.

Would be interesting if someone was to ask him about a GE.

Mike Gapes: Will we have a vote in this house before article 50 is delivered?
DC: That's a question for the next PM and cabinet.

Caporegime
Out of curiousity, could a full "Brexit" not be done in the following long-winded way..

1) Move to Norway Model
2) Take time to negotiate trade deals with rest of world
3) Leave Norway model and negotiate new trade deal with the EU (if it still exists)

It could, but that would involve multiple shocks to the economy and severely annoy everyone in the EU and EFTA. I would imagine that before we were permitted to Norway Model the EU would want strong assurances that we weren't going to do anything of the sort, and the rules could well be written in a way that would make it very difficult for us to do.

Man of Honour
Blah, Blah, Blah! Usual crap response from Fox.

Usual detailed and considered response from yourself.

The other interesting thing is that a win for leave means that it - it's done and we can't go back. Yet a win for remain would have never silenced leave and we'd have invariably had anither go at some point in the future, constantly, until we eventually left. Just like when No won in Scotland the calls for the next attempt began same day.

In my view now the best case scenario is fill EEA membership like Norway. Not as good as being in the EU but better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom