Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The seething never stops. Please please please accept it and discuss moving forward. Not going over the same old ground. Our own prime minister has said in no uncertain terms, Brexit means Brexit. That's it, done.

I love this.

You cannot move forward when you don't know the destination.

The government reminds me of the walking dead series.

Nice fortified walls zombie free and some crops.

Yet the people are not happy so they have a vote.

4 decide to leave and 3 decide to stay and 3 don't know.

Despite this the leader of the 4 says "we don't know where we are going but the majority voted to leave" but it's done now just keep walking.

People in their right minds cannot accept leaving without discussing what happens, including those that didn't know.

I think this sums up the position. :)

Soldato
She has but what does Brexit mean - know one has the answer?

Quite. If we're going to move forward, I think we should have...

Full access to the single market.
Free movement of peoples between the UK and EU/EEA countries.
A UK commissioner in the European Commission.
Full EU voting rights.

These are all things I feel are in the UK national interest, and none of them were mentioned specifically as part of the referendum. If this is what Brexit means, sign me up.

Maybe you both should read the link. Are you two in the remain lot?

Sure, it says...

In return for greater access to the UK for its manufactured products and investment, China would reduce barriers to Britain's service industries like banking and insurance as well as UK goods.

We already know that China has ripped of most of the products they want to buy from us. I'm sure the people at Land Rover etc will be thrilled at the prosepct of any trade deal.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/guangzhou-motor-show/land-rover-complain-about-chinese-copy-range-rover-evoque

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't hear you moan when China invested £bns in the UK last year and are helping to build a nuclear power station ?
Project fear is still going ;)

I actually think we should be building our own power stations as a matter of national security.

There's also a vast difference between limited trade and investment deals, and a far reaching trade deal with a country that has consistently failed to gain market economy status at the WTO because of it's unfair business practices.

The UK will be competing with state owned/subsidised industries who regularly use dumping, predatory pricing and currency manipulation to drive others out of business. Something the UK doesn't and shouldn't get involved in.

I don't deny that it would be nice for this country to have far more flexibility on its trade relationship with the rest of the world. But I think the advantages it offers when compared with damaging our existing relationship with the EU is vastly over played.

I also think the idea that will help areas outside the south-east is delusional. The trade deals will primarily focus on getting better access for the UK service sectors, at the expense of the rest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didn't hear you moan when China invested £bns in the UK last year and are helping to build a nuclear power station ?
Project fear is still going ;)

When are you going to realise that Project Fear as actually just Project Reality?

Opening up the UK market to Chinese foreign imports subsidised by the Chinese government is one of the reasons why British Steel has so many issues. Do we really want that in other sectors too?

Caporegime
I actually think we should be building our own power stations as a matter of national security.

Well we can't really.

We did come up with an amazing and safe reactor the ap1000 however gordon brown in his wisdom sold the design and the organisatipn to westinghouse so now if you want one the americans will have to build it.

We don't really have any domestic desgins now that are remotely modern

Caporegime
China is about the last country I'd want to see us making an early trade deal with. We've already seen the kind of bad deal they've pushed on countries like Switzerland, do we really want an inexperienced negotiating team under heavy pressure to deliver swift results trying to get a deal with China? That just sounds like a bad idea to me. One very likely to land us with a deal that is bad for the UK.

Caporegime
China is about the last country I'd want to see us making an early trade deal with. We've already seen the kind of bad deal they've pushed on countries like Switzerland, do we really want an inexperienced negotiating team under heavy pressure to deliver swift results trying to get a deal with China? That just sounds like a bad idea to me. One very likely to land us with a deal that is bad for the UK.

Depends how pokitical it is.

We've been told rhe eu will give the uk a **** deal to stop othwr countries wanting to leave.

By that logic china might be tempted to give the UK an amazing (if short term) deal to encourage other countries to leave and thus open up more coubtries to trade as the eu wont negotiate with it.

Soldato
Depends how pokitical it is.

We've been told rhe eu will give the uk a **** deal to stop othwr countries wanting to leave.

By that logic china might be tempted to give the UK an amazing (if short term) deal to encourage other countries to leave and thus open up more coubtries to trade as the eu wont negotiate with it.

Sure, that's a possibility....don't think I'll be rushing down the bookies to put any money on it though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom