Bring on brexit!

Soldato
Going to be a HUGE revenue drop from speeding fines and the speed camera companies will be going out of business.

That maybe so, but think of the revenue saved from not having high speed collisions, where they've got to pay for umpteen emergency services to help the wounded and clear off the roads, some reports say that it costs the UK economy £1million per hour for a major motorway closure. I would imagine the savings from that would far outweigh the loss in revenue from speeding fines.

Personally i think it's a great idea, there's already plenty of speed-limiting/speed-assistance systems on newer high spec cars these days, so it's just making that tech the norm for all vehicle types.

Frankly for anyone commuting in rush hour, you can't speed anyway due to volume of traffic. Now imagine how many extra cars will be on the motorways by 2030-2040.

OcUK Staff
I will stick to old cars.
If they enforce it on old cars, I will buy a Caterham, like to see them achieve it on one of those.

If they full on achieve it, time to move to a country with some more freedom, or just move next to a race circuit and go on weekly track days. :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
If this is implemented here I'll lose another 1.5-2hours of my life a day. Big impact for me regardless of the fact we lose another joy from driving.

Man of Honour
Time to start buying and storing cheap old large engined petrol manual cars with no speed limiter.

EDIT: Hang on, my Corrado VR6 fits the bill perfectly. Try putting a limiter on that!

Soldato
Bring on autonomous cars, especially on motorways. We’ll all get everywhere faster and more safely. It’s be amazing to jump in the car and go to sleep, do some work or have a beer on a journey. There is so little joy in motorway driving.

OcUK Staff
Bring on autonomous cars, especially on motorways. We’ll all get everywhere faster and more safely. It’s be amazing to jump in the car and go to sleep, do some work or have a beer on a journey. There is so little joy in motorway driving.

For motorway driving I kind of agree, at the same time make the speed limit 140mph, because if its automated, no reason why it can't go faster. :)

Caporegime
They're also brining in legislation re: cars being able to be fitted with breathalysers. While not mandatory at the moment that is a potentially useful thing for people who have already been convicted of drink driving.

I don't see a huge issue with the speed thing, so long as you have allowances for say overtaking etc...

So you can over ride it. I guess it’s a way of insurers playing the get out cause should you crash at high speed.

Why should insurers (or indeed the rest of us essentially) have to pay out more money for numpties. If anything stuff like this could help reduce premiums, granted some sort of third party pay out will still need to be made/people still need to be covered for what they do to other road users but I guess there can be a clearer picture of the degree of blame on the insured party etc..

Soldato
It's more the data logging and camera aspect I have an issue with. Speed limits won't stop you having a blast on country roads and such, but I really don't want them collecting data on where I go, how I get there and where I am at this point in time.

Soldato
For motorway driving I kind of agree, at the same time make the speed limit 140mph, because if its automated, no reason why it can't go faster. :)

Absolutely. In dry, warm conditions modern cars are extremely safe. The driver is the real let down safety wise. If a computer took over driving, reaction times would be vastly cut and a lot of prediction used based on communication between cars further down the road would help.

B roads are a slightly different matter...

Soldato
Time to start buying and storing cheap old large engined petrol manual cars with no speed limiter.

EDIT: Hang on, my Corrado VR6 fits the bill perfectly. Try putting a limiter on that!

Yep, I'm probably just going to keep my GT86 forever now then buy a pre-2018 £0 tax car if I need a runaround.

Though there aren't any laws to stop people removing these nannies. It will just be a switch in the ECU most likely. If not, some tin foil and tape will do the job...

OcUK Staff
Absolutely. In dry, warm conditions modern cars are extremely safe. The driver is the real let down safety wise. If a computer took over driving, reaction times would be vastly cut and a lot of prediction used based on communication between cars further down the road would help.

B roads are a slightly different matter...

Yep get all the motorways to 4 lanes.
Lanes 1: Trucks at upto 80mph
Lane 2: Buses, vehicles carrying 6 or more people essentially at upto 100mph
Lane 3: Cheaper automated cars at upto 120mph
Lane 4: Luxary automated cars at upto 140mph

Or the option to selecting a lane if your in the faster vehicle and all vehicles to maintain a gap of equivalent to three lorries between them so computer, car/truck itself has more than amply time to reduce speed.
Motorways would flow much better and people would get to destinations not in just half the time but potentially a quarter of the time due to no traffic issues, accidents etc.

Caporegime
Going to be a HUGE revenue drop from speeding fines and the speed camera companies will be going out of business. Insurance companies will take a huge hit as they can't hike up prices for speeding points as there will not be any.
It won’t be a drop in terms of cost to the public purse, accidents - even minor ones - have a massive economic impact when as NVP implies you take into account the emergency services involved, the NHS treatment and the impact caused by traffic delays caused by said accident, it massively out weighs revenues generated by fines and speed awareness courses.

Soldato
Lane 3: Cheaper automated cars at upto 120mph
Lane 4: Luxary automated cars at upto 140mph

Rich people get to go faster than poor people?

Caporegime
Until tyre technology improves massively for HGV’s (a coach is an HGV in a different suit) forget it unfortunately, a blow out is wild enough @55mph, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near an artic losing a tyre @80mph!

Then you have to factor in braking systems, they are fantastic these days on trucks but the physics of stopping 44t from 80mph is very different to 55mph, which is why trucks had speed limiters fitted in the first place.

Man of Honour
Funny how the original vision for motorways and many dual carriageways was the carriage of commercial goods and people travelling for business purposes and everyone else was intended to take the A roads.

I think in future we may need to consider the segregation of commercial and private traffic.

Soldato
Until tyre technology improves massively for HGV’s (a coach is an HGV in a different suit) forget it unfortunately, a blow out is wild enough @55mph, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near an artic losing a tyre @80mph!

Then you have to factor in braking systems, they are fantastic these days on trucks but the physics of stopping 44t from 80mph is very different to 55mph, which is why trucks had speed limiters fitted in the first place.

Can't imagine how terrifying it would be even being overtaken by an artic doing 80mph in the lane next to you! The wind coming off it would rock my car.

OcUK Staff
Rich people get to go faster than poor people?

Why not? Why do they need to be rich?
Some people who are rich might be happy with 120mph.
Some people who are not as rich still might buy the 140mph capable car.

Being rich does not mean a faster car you know. The beauty of freedom is we spend money as we choose and having options is a good thing, never bad!

Back
Top Bottom