Bring on brexit!

Caporegime
You can turn these systems off anyway. Don’t understand the big deal

For the first few years yes.

But plans are that there will be no off switch once majority of vehicles have the limiters fitted, so within 5 to 10 years or so of introduction.

Soldato
You will be able to disable it so no worries from my side

For now yes, governments are all about incremental changes under the guise of safety. For me its not such much about speed control, yes that will be annoying but I spend most journeys stuck in traffic anyway. What I don't like is that the technology this makes mandatory could quite easily also be used for telematics based insurance or road pricing.

When we had telematics installed in our company cars they said "nothing to worry about, the targets are really lenient and we don't even look at it". 6 months down the line "we are tightening up the targets and we'll have an internal scoreboard so you can monitor each others progress, after about 2 years the targets were so tight that I actually once found myself questioning if I should brake hard in an emergency. I left the company.

Until you drive with this stuff monitoring your every move you don't understand how much stress it adds to driving, every little thing being analysed - how hard you accelerate / brake/ corner / if you are idling / fuel consumption. Then add on the other company tracking of where you are, how long you spend on a job, how long you stop for a toilet break and you can see how it can start to affect someone.

Soldato
Really tiny numbers huh ?

The number of deaths on German roads (that's all roads not just Autobahns) last year fell to 3,214, but there were 2.6 million accidents. It was the highest number of traffic accidents since reunification.

3,214 deaths is 3,214 too many, In comparison there were 1,770 road deaths on British Roads in the same year.

Think I will stick with having speed limits as it is demonstrably safer.
However just quickly looking there are more people in germany so there will be more accidents. Whats the breakdown of crashes on autbahn vs normal motorways in germany? Surely if 'speed kills' every time somebody goes above a hundred on it they will die? You can't prove that more deaths is from speeding either.

Soldato
For now yes, governments are all about incremental changes under the guise of safety. For me its not such much about speed control, yes that will be annoying but I spend most journeys stuck in traffic anyway. What I don't like is that the technology this makes mandatory could quite easily also be used for telematics based insurance or road pricing.

When we had telematics installed in our company cars they said "nothing to worry about, the targets are really lenient and we don't even look at it". 6 months down the line "we are tightening up the targets and we'll have an internal scoreboard so you can monitor each others progress, after about 2 years the targets were so tight that I actually once found myself questioning if I should brake hard in an emergency. I left the company.

Until you drive with this stuff monitoring your every move you don't understand how much stress it adds to driving, every little thing being analysed - how hard you accelerate / brake/ corner / if you are idling / fuel consumption. Then add on the other company tracking of where you are, how long you spend on a job, how long you stop for a toilet break and you can see how it can start to affect someone.
Yea I agree with your sentiments there and quite frankly that level of monitoring is an infringement on our human rights.

I guess what I'm saying is that there will always be a way around these things, maybe not for the average Joe but someone will have a way of disabling it while keeping it active and talking to the main frame as such.

Associate
I rented a volvo v60 last week and I found the constant monitoring and nannying to be quite irritating. It would "blink" the speed limit sign at me if I even went 1mph over as opposed to its normal solid display. Then there was the auto braking which was absolutely trash. Every time I was heading towards a parked car with the intention of moving out when the other side of the road was clear the car would jerk on the brakes for a moment. This system could be turned off on the touch screen but automatically restarted every time the car starts which I found ridiculous. I realise stuff is moving towards being completely automated but I think until it actually becomes fully automated where there is no longer a human driver it will become increasingly frustrating to drive new cars.

Soldato
I rented a volvo v60 last week and I found the constant monitoring and nannying to be quite irritating. It would "blink" the speed limit sign at me if I even went 1mph over as opposed to its normal solid display. Then there was the auto braking which was absolutely trash. Every time I was heading towards a parked car with the intention of moving out when the other side of the road was clear the car would jerk on the brakes for a moment. This system could be turned off on the touch screen but automatically restarted every time the car starts which I found ridiculous. I realise stuff is moving towards being completely automated but I think until it actually becomes fully automated where there is no longer a human driver it will become increasingly frustrating to drive new cars.

Yea I noticed the same issues with the auto braking on a Yaris I borrows last year. That and the speed warnings got turned off within minutes. Luckily they didn't turn themselves back on in that.

Moving through any narrow gap with on-coming traffic and the auto braking would go nuts. Quite annoying.

Last edited:
I have no issue with this.
Frankly I find the obsession with speeding quite bizarre. do I do it, yes absolutely, but thats not the point.

When you take your driving test you are by default agreeing to accept the law that relates to it. The fact that at some point it may be fully enforced is just the luck of the draw, if you never intended to follow the law you shouldn't have taken a test.

As we know with controlled speed on motorways, humans are really bad at following the rules and they make things worse, even when they think they are beating the system.

Personally I would like to see the limits enforced far more, but also have them relaxed when traffic is light. 80 on a virtually empty motorway at 2am, fine no issues. 80 at peak rush hour, no.

Soldato
80 on a virtually empty motorway at 2am, fine no issues. 80 at peak rush hour, no.
And this sums it up really. The problem is too many take the **** and drive like it's 2am on an empty motorway, when it is actually peak rush hour. Do I do it? No, does everyone else around me do it? Most of them yes. Arrogant drivers flouting the speed limits in these conditions well and truly deserve this, whilst some of us who actually drive respectfully and take into account conditions and time of day, before we floor it, will suffer with them.

For those of you planning on deactivating with your super skills, you'll stand out from the rest of the 70mph crowd and will be picked up and reported by speed camera's or other annoyed/aggrieved/jealous drivers and your modding days will be over pretty quick I'd say.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Oh my god 80 miles per hour on a motorway?!! The recklessness!

Seriously if you can do 80 in peak rush hour then do 80 and then move out my way

Back
Top Bottom