**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Soldato
Blimey, nothing screams "I feel entitled" more than Officers and Senior soldiers throwing their toys out of the pram because they feel they still need bigger houses based on their rank and not need.

There was talk about it being a bit 'awkward' if you lived next to your commanding officer but that's not much of a better reason.

Soldato
I think it mostly stems back to "ye olde days" where rank = status/standing and therefore it wouldn't "look good" to have a high ranking Officer who has a "lesser" grade of service provided home than a lower ranked person, especially it the lower rank was enlisted (a non-Officer).

Whilst the traditional Class structure in the military (the old 'snobby Officers vs dirty working class Enlisted') seems to become less distinct over the recent decades; the entitlement factor, which covers a small portion of those in a higher rank (both Officer and non-Officer), never seems to go away.

What we're seeing now is how a fairly small section (TBF) of the Officer corp "really" feel about those below them. Currently everyone has to say the party line of "Of course, the soldiers are our number 1 priority" whether they actually believe that or not, but now that statement is starting to actually effect some of those in a way that they feel is negative (giving up nice large houses to lower ranks for ones more suitable) the reality of what some people actually think is becoming public, and the Army (nor any of the 3 services TBF) won't like that public scrutiny around the ethics of the senior leadership.

Soldato
Well the slope gets ever more slippery... Scruffy ***** inbound!!!

Beards are now a thing!

No but seriously. I figured it was coming after the questionnaire went out. It really was only a matter of time the army has to move with the times. Policy has been published and effective immediately. In all seriousness it dosnt bother me. I probably wont bother myself but it bothers me not if others do. It will take a bit of getting used to, Still think birds with hair down whilst in kit looks odd. When you are used to a certain look/standard it will always take time to adjust the mindset.

Last edited:
Soldato
Happened to a RN lad at RAF Marham, big oof (small bit of swearing but understandable) -

Beards - The RAF started a few years back IIRC and, to be blunt, the vast majority look dog poo, like a spotty 16yo trying to grow face fuzz. I've also started to see "top knots" which, again,just look dog poo. I get that allowing your military self-discipline to slip as a tool to increase retention may make sense to some high ranking Officer, but at the coal face its done nothing for retention and now most folks look like scruffy herberts, but I'm old so of course everything is worse now :D

Soldato
Honestly nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to forces accommodation. I've seen some shockers just here in the camp that I'm on. It just keeps getting worse as well. You'll see some cases get taken care of because they get highlighted on social media, but for every one of them there 10 other properties that are in just as bad state/worse thats waiting months for anything to be done. Its a shocking state of affairs. As long as they continue to pass these facilities management contracts to cowboys it will continue to get worse, these are companies who care about nothing other than their profits.

Caporegime
Well the slope gets ever more slippery... Scruffy ***** inbound!!!

Beards are now a thing!

No but seriously. I figured it was coming after the questionnaire went out. It really was only a matter of time the army has to move with the times. Policy has been published and effective immediately. In all seriousness it dosnt bother me. I probably wont bother myself but it bothers me not if others do. It will take a bit of getting used to, Still think birds with hair down whilst in kit looks odd. When you are used to a certain look/standard it will always take time to adjust the mindset.

Military higher ups are so bad, they think they can fix recruitment and retention with beards. Yep, that's the cause and not the poor pay, lack of leadership, little purpose, poor food, poor accommodation, so on and so on.

Soldato
For me, beards isn't really an issue... so beards or no beards I don't really care.

The issues above that are what concerns me, so hopefully they get a grip of a few other problems.

They finally brought that Wider Service Medal in too... but can barely get that right lol.

They need to get a grip on camp infrastructure across the board tnh because like has been said, some places are an absolute disgrace. Having to live married unaccompanied in a "block" can be depressing when the infrastructure is a complete joke... not retention positive whatsoever.

Its hard to comprehend the start of many issues.. but at the minute, in some ways, it's too busy to even notice

Caporegime
For me, beards isn't really an issue... so beards or no beards I don't really care.

The issues above that are what concerns me, so hopefully they get a grip of a few other problems.

They finally brought that Wider Service Medal in too... but can barely get that right lol.

They need to get a grip on camp infrastructure across the board tnh because like has been said, some places are an absolute disgrace. Having to live married unaccompanied in a "block" can be depressing when the infrastructure is a complete joke... not retention positive whatsoever.

Its hard to comprehend the start of many issues.. but at the minute, in some ways, it's too busy to even notice

Participation medals, in place instead of payrises. It's so damn obvious.

Soldato
Used to attend airsoft games at Whiny Hill FIBUA facility in Catterick (an old married quarters estate) a decade or so ago and overheard a serving soldier being not very happy about the brickwork and roof on most of the buildings being in far better condition than his married quarters.

Associate
'Army allows beards'

Trying to recruit more troops from a certain group whose religion requires them to wear beards perchance? Or at least showing they are trying to solve *one* of the many problems the armed forces face, most of which are out of their control.

Man of Honour
'Army allows beards'

Trying to recruit more troops from a certain group whose religion requires them to wear beards perchance? Or at least showing they are trying to solve *one* of the many problems the armed forces face, most of which are out of their control.
Allowing beards on the grounds of religion has already been a thing for quite a long time (well over a decade) AFAIK, definitely within the RAF at least.

As for most of the problems being outside of their control... I dunno about that. I think the culture is rotting and as a result the will to direct energy in the direction required is just not there.

Commissario
'Army allows beards'

I suggest you do some research before you try trolling like that. Facial hair has been allowed for religious reasons for many years.

Associate
I don't really have a problem with beards, they can still look smart. In phase 1 training at BRNC they were reasonably strict with what beards looked like and everyone looked smart. Still have to look presentable after training as you do in all respects, so I don't think there will be people with ragged beards etc in the army because of this.

Back
Top Bottom