**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Soldato
RAF, then Army, now the Navy are allowed beards!

RN have always allowed beards. You just had to submit a written application ‘to grow’ to the CO and I never heard of one being declined. I know quite a few RN Commando medics who royally (see what I did there?) annoyed their instructors and fellow RM by growing beards and as they were RN and not RM there wasn’t a darn thing they could do about it.

Soldato
No, I think it’s real because it’s not the RN, it’s the Admiralty changing the policy on the Royal Marines. Which, if I know anything about the RM, they continue to shave just because they want to be different to the other services.

[Edit]no it’s a joke, it’s from Whale Island, not Lympstone, Northwood or Horseguards[/Edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I think it’s real because it’s not the RN, it’s the Admiralty changing the policy on the Royal Marines. Which, if I know anything about the RM, they continue to shave just because they want to be different to the other services.
It was posted on FYB. I havnt been on ModNET to confirm and I certainly wont be doing so on leave. However, eagle eyed members pointed out that the JSP wasnt even correct. Also considering the timing...

Soldato
It was posted on FYB. I havnt been on ModNET to confirm and I certainly wont be doing so on leave. However, eagle eyed members pointed out that the JSP wasnt even correct. Also considering the timing...

Indeed, I saw it wasn’t RN but RM and made a poor assumption that the person posting it had confused RN and RM. And given that the other forces now permit facial hair it did seem relevant. But on closer inspection it’s clearly not real.

Soldato
Army is allowed beards now... wasn't April fools as it was a couple of days ago it was announced.

Every RSM now flapping probably at the state of people's faces come first day back after Easter Leave

Associate
Not heard anything about the RM being allowed beards.

Regardless, "To all serving within His Majesties Royal Marines" looks dodgy. It should be His Majesty's.

Soldato
OK, to everyone who doesn't get it - IT'S AN APRIL FOOLS!!

The joke is that the RN have been allowed beards for many, many, many years, it's topical as the RAF and now the Army are allowed beards.

Did not think i would have to explain this one :)

Associate
Are you part of the rejoiner/transfer cell?

Nope, just dealing with them after they've moved.

Meh - I transfered Army to RAF about a year ago. My take is that it's not all it's cooked up to be.

I've been jammy with my next posting so I'll see that out and be back in time for my 12 year point to decide if i'll stay or not.

--

I noticed the OR1-3 pay scales are all getting an immediate and not insignificant raise to stay in line with the cost of living. Not sure how they can justify that without pushing it on to the rest of us.

I guess experiences may vary.

Soldato
As an aside to UK forces news - but definitely something where I could see something similar happening back here - after a series of really poor news stories about their militaries performance over the past few weeks, the Danes have now sacked their Chief of the Armed Forces (equivalent to CDS) over a "Lack of trust" by the Government.

If all it took was a few bad news stories for the Danes to "sack" their head of the AF then I'm amazed that ours is still in post with the litany of bad news Adm Radakin has had during his watch! Maybe a few firings across NATO countries are whats needed to wake up those in "upper leadership" roles (civil and military) who've effectively got a free meal ticket and treat it as such.

Soldato
Well, while other countries are preparing for war, the new D&I training. 1st slide:

cotton-spools-represent-diversity-1200x800.jpg

And asked, "Which cotton spool do you identify as?"

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that actually gen? Or a taking the mick? I genuinely dont know anymore... They need to stop with this BS. Who gives a flying **** what someone identifies as. As long as they do their ******* job and get on with it without making a song and dance about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom