British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

I don't think we ever saw it on TV, but he said himself afterwards that he had a front left issue which damaged his front wing, a bit of which flew off and smashed one of the marker boards next to the track (which is the debris the camera just caught a glimpse of).

I know we didn't. Nip further back in the thread and you'll see a nice "discussion" when it happened in the race. ;)

23idwe8.jpg

:p

I couldn't post yesterday as I didn't have a laptop, but reading through the "OcUK Commentary" as the race happened, some people's ideas are laughable. To have this many failures in similar places, and I'm not defending Pirelli here, screams track issues, and, as it turned out, I was right. Bad kerbs causing the issues, and the messages came in very early to avoid the kerbs. In all other motorsport, be it your Sunday afternoon karting, you are not allowed to kerb, and, in theory, you're not allowed to kerb in F1, but they do. Stop it, before someone dies.

"Pirelli and Formula One need to have a really good look at themselves and make sure that we have tyres that drivers can drive flat out all the time," said the Briton.

Amen. :)

It's getting a bit ridiculous now... Tyres wear too fast = drive slower, Tyres are so poorly constructed they get damaged by regulation kerbs (allegedly) = don't drive on kerbs....... what next? tyres start exploding under sudden braking so drivers must start braking 100yrds sooner?

Last edited:
I couldn't post yesterday as I didn't have a laptop, but reading through the "OcUK Commentary" as the race happened, some people's ideas are laughable. To have this many failures in similar places, and I'm not defending Pirelli here, screams track issues, and, as it turned out, I was right. Bad kerbs causing the issues, and the messages came in very early to avoid the kerbs. In all other motorsport, be it your Sunday afternoon karting, you are not allowed to kerb, and, in theory, you're not allowed to kerb in F1, but they do. Stop it, before someone dies.

Source? Oh, and they can use the kerbs legally in f1 :o

Read this :

BRDC President Derek Warwick says it is "absolute rubbish" to suggest the kerbs at Silverstone were to blame for the tyre failures witnessed in Sunday's British Grand Prix.

"Absolute rubbish - these kerbs have been in since 2009 and we have had thousands and thousands of cars go over these kerbs and they have been absolutely fine," the 58-year-old told Sky Sports News.

Drivers unimpressed with tyres

"We have had them checked by the FIA and they conform fully with the FIA. I think the problem is that we had the secret three-day test for Mercedes a few weeks ago - that test was to build a tyre that was strong enough for the British GP. [cont.]

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...re-failures-says-BRDC-President-Derek-Warwick

The most obvious way it can be pointed out that it was the tyres that were not right is the fact that even the manufacturer tried changing them for safety reasons. The only reason it didn't happen is because three teams veto'd against it. If they had allowed it we no doubt wouldn't have seen the explosions we did yesterday.

2012 was run on Kevlar and this year it's run on Steel. Pirelli wanted to go back to Kevlar but FI, Lotus and Ferrari weren't having it.

To have this many failures in similar places, and I'm not defending Pirelli here, screams track issues, and, as it turned out, I was right. Bad kerbs causing the issues, and the messages came in very early to avoid the kerbs. In all other motorsport, be it your Sunday afternoon karting, you are not allowed to kerb, and, in theory, you're not allowed to kerb in F1, but they do. Stop it, before someone dies.

But when Idnianapolis resurfaced their track and Michelin turned up with tyres that didn't last (whereas Bridgestone knew about the change and brought appropriate tyres), it was ZOMG Michelin's fault. In-fact, Michelin saw a failure during practice and then told their customers that it wasn't safe to race... but Pirelli this weekend saw a failure in practice, and did nothing :confused:.

So if it was the kerbs fault, i am guessing that every other motor race that has taken place at Silverstone since 2009 has had multiple random tyre blowouts?......

Two things :
1) The occaisional tyre failure isn't unknown.
2) Ralfs tyre failed flat out on the banking at Indianapolis where there is no run-off area. Silverstone is a completely different type of circuit, and arguably far safer.

2012 was run on Kevlar and this year it's run on Steel. Pirelli wanted to go back to Kevlar but FI, Lotus and Ferrari weren't having it.

Silverstone was run on kevlar wasn't it? Davidson certainly thinks so in the video link above.

Cost saving gone bad it would seem.

How would going from steel to kevlar for this race be cost cutting?

Back
Top Bottom