British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

But the tyres were supposedly being damaged by kerbs, not necessarily sliced (as evidenced by Vettel's, Alonso's and Rosberg's tyres being on the point of failing as they pitted), so immediate failures probably weren't guaranteed. Even if they were failing instantly, the kerb at Chapel has always been particularly nasty - I seem to remember someone losing a front wing or suspension on that kerb in the past few years.

Anderson was at turn 5 anyway, which for some reason the BBC kept on referring to as turn 4 throughout the broadcast. But in principle I think he's probably right - those kerbs are quite sharp on the inside edge and I can fully imagine a tyre spinning up would be damaged on the shoulder.

A mate on another forum pointed out another quirk. Hamilton's, Massa's and Vergne's punctures all came after the first lap with bits of carbon fibre liberally sprinkled across the track. After Gutierrez's failure (which may or may not have been connected, being the only front failure) destroyed his front wing and scattered debris all over the track, they deployed the safety car and went cleaning up the track. After that there were no other failures until cars started bashing into each other again. Perhaps it was just coincidence, but the timing does have some merit.

Ah, that's what confused me! :p

Just on the tire failures, fair enough if in race if their was something doing it that happened early in the race, but didnt Sergios go out during practice?

iegUb0vs8eEyq.gif

Interesting that only the rear left tyres that blew up are being mentioned. Those tyres that nearly went, and Guitierrez front left that went off camera have been glossed over. What was the total count including them?

Ignoring the whole safety thing, and that tyres are now the most important thing in the race, this surely can't be doing Pirelli any good. Who's going to buy Pirelli tyres for their road car now!?

Thought the Sky coverage was pretty good, and fair play to them for dropping out of Bernie's feed to show the Pirelli staff running around like headless chickens and Newey's photo of Vettel's nearly dead tyre.
Also, good point from Ant: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/8799606/davidson-analyses-tyre-failures

Last edited:
Interesting that only the rear left tyres that blew up are being mentioned. Those tyres that nearly went, and Guitierrez front left that went off camera have been glossed over. What was the total count including them?

Ignoring the whole safety thing, and that tyres are now the most important thing in the race, this surely can't be doing Pirelli any good. Who's going to buy Pirelli tyres for their road car now!?

Thought the Sky coverage was pretty good, and fair play to them for dropping out of Bernie's feed to show the Pirelli staff running around like headless chickens and Newey's photo of Vettel's nearly dead tyre.
Also, good point from Ant: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/8799606/davidson-analyses-tyre-failures
Was that a tire going?..looking from the poor angle the front wing just disintegrated, didn't hear about it being cause by a tire.

Yes. It would seem a fair assumption that the flailing tread took out the front wing, same as the rear tyre would do with the floor.

I don't think we ever saw it on TV, but he said himself afterwards that he had a front left issue which damaged his front wing, a bit of which flew off and smashed one of the marker boards next to the track (which is the debris the camera just caught a glimpse of).

Just been watching this on catchup - great race. Was hard to do work while it was on in the background :) Did anyone else hear Webber say to Alonso something along the lines of 'You did a great job picking up the safety car when Michael stopped *grin*' - Michael being his pet name for vettle? :)

Yeah, I heard the Michael comment, pretty funny if that's the drivers pet name for Vettel. He is Schumacher Mk2 though to be fair (Ralph doesn't count) :o

Loving the gifs and pics :D

Whether this turns out to be Pirelli's 'fault' or not, it's really not doing their brand image any good, their marketing guys must be suicidal right about now :p

I don't think we ever saw it on TV, but he said himself afterwards that he had a front left issue which damaged his front wing, a bit of which flew off and smashed one of the marker boards next to the track (which is the debris the camera just caught a glimpse of).

So there was a marker board involved!

It really did look like polystyrene from the still pic :p

Back
Top Bottom