British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

Pirreli changed to a new construction of tyre this year and we have had numerous failures all season long. This to me clearly points at a design issue. The tracks have not changed and neither have the cars much. The move to a steel belt and new construction is clearly flawed and needs to be addressed. 2 failures in the USA saw a 6 car race on safety fears, 6 failures in a weekend should be enough for the FIA to bypass the teams approval and just sort this.

Its a complete joke.

Err, if you watched the race, Coulthard himself said, the race track is defined by the solid white lines and that it was an unwritten rule (or accepted) that drivers can kerb

Err, if you read the rules the cars are permitted to corner cut within reason, so long as at least 1 wheel remains within the limits of the track (the white lines). All four wheels off the track = illegal. 3 wheels off = shorter distance and legal.

I watched it on sky :cool:

They went from Kevlar to Steel as a cost saving measure.. It's fairly obvious that hasn't worked out too well.

Yes I know but look at the links posted earlier and the Davidson video. It's looking like the tyres at Silverstone were not steel banded. Look at the Davidson video where the steel band holds the tyre together.

I didnt see any steel in any of the pictures I've looked at of the tyres from Silverstone. That band would not disintegrate like Kevlar.

Look at the Davidson clip, it seems steel has worked very well at holding together a failing tyre.

The bonding was changed therefore it stands to reason that instead of the surface of the tyre peeling off as it did earlier in the season the entire carcass will fail now at a later point. The "fibres" (for want of a better word) that are showing are likely from the sidewall and shoulder of the tyre.

You can still see the size of the steel band. I'm just saying its interesting that the tyres might have been changed to Kevlar anyway.

If that is correct and what's being said in that thread.. The steel banded tyres are slightly heavier. You think it's possible FI and Di resta were caught out by that? As he was under weight, I've not seen a reason given for that yet. (Probs is one somewhere) Just a thought though.

You think it's possible FI and Di resta were caught out by that? As he was under weight, I've not seen a reason given for that yet. (Probs is one somewhere) Just a thought though.

Force India themselves stated after qualifying that the car (with tyres and remaining fuel) weighed exactly what it should have - the discrepancy was with di Resta's weight.

Pirelli aren't going to be stupid enough to change the construction of a tyre from steel back to kevlar when the FIA have forbid them from doing so (the teams needed to give unanimous agreement for the change). They certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to do so just after they'd been up before a tribunal.

Garry Anderson on Radio Five Live 'Slicks–Oh–Six' on Sunday suggested that it might be something to do with the right-angle where the tread meets the side-wall.

It's down to some sort of compromise between the teams wanting a certain load rating and the FIA specifying the durability etc.

Basically it's resulted in that area of the tyre becoming more fragile.

I'm not sure if that's also connected with the steel/Kevlar issue.

Force India themselves stated after qualifying that the car (with tyres and remaining fuel) weighed exactly what it should have - the discrepancy was with di Resta's weight.

Pirelli aren't going to be stupid enough to change the construction of a tyre from steel back to kevlar when the FIA have forbid them from doing so (the teams needed to give unanimous agreement for the change). They certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to do so just after they'd been up before a tribunal.

I think I heard that the FIA were forcing through a relaxation of the 'unanimous' requirement for tyre changes - or was that something I heard from Bernie :D

Andi.

Yeah, I read yesterday that that was to be the case. I guess that's up for discussion at the meeting tomorrow. Apparently most of what we've heard so far was agreed on Saturday, when there'd just been the one failure. Pirelli have been clamouring the FIA for more testing time and that was why they'd changed the young driver test to a more open test.

Reports that Kevlar will be used this weekend emerging across the usual sites (apart from BBC, Benson will probably wait to copy someone else's article :p)

Back
Top Bottom