British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Housey - Did you drive it when Bridge Corner had been built between Farm Straight and Woodcote then? Bridge was first put in place for the 1987 season IIRC. The circuit was great back then, but F1 cars had rather outgrown it (every single corner bar Bridge was a fast one, a few more seasons and they'd have been lapping it in under a minute!).

Soldato
If there is just one circuit/race that i'd not want to go and watch an F1 race, it'd have to be Silverstone.

It wouldn't be last on my list but I do have some sympathy with this view.

F1 as a live spectator event can often not be the most amazing experience. Even when drivers are able to genuinely battle you only see a small section of it - a straight or a few corners at best. You're completely deafened (which is amazing, until the next day!) and there are points, especially in F1 today, where it can feel a little dull.

For me anyway, watching F1 live is about so much more than the 120 minute race - it is all about the atmosphere, the fans, the location, the banter. I'd much rather do this somewhere else than in a town in England. There's nothing wrong with it, but the high cost of Silverstone and the relatively lower costs elsewhere mean I'd prefer to be somewhere different and have a great break at the same time.

Man of Honour
Housey - Did you drive it when Bridge Corner had been built between Farm Straight and Woodcote then? Bridge was first put in place for the 1987 season IIRC. The circuit was great back then, but F1 cars had rather outgrown it (every single corner bar Bridge was a fast one, a few more seasons and they'd have been lapping it in under a minute!).

I drove it in a few layouts, including the current one. The first time I drove it, which as I recall was on a Silverstone Racing Club day in my Fiesta(!!) it was as the picture above, but as you came down the abby straight and under the old Daily Express bridge into woodcote, you turned sharp left and then right and back onto the main start finish straight, the chicane was there but not used but it was that layout. I did go around it in the layout above with my dad in his Capri and also went round with Patrick Depailer too one time!

I also remember doing, of all things a Rover day there I think in the late 80's maybe 90/91, I can date it by the fact that the late Ian Taylor was the main instructor and he was killed a couple of weeks later in a Rover at Spa! In that configuration is was with bridge as the right hander it is today I seem to recall but forgive me if my memory is fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom