Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Hamilton often seems to come off better from these contacts. I remember when him and vettel would collide. That said, Max wandered straight into a pit maneuver.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/lewi...max-verstappen-was-still-in-hospital-12358585 Disgusting. Probably so called ‘fans’ too. Racism is alive and kicking.
It's all getting a bit blown out of proportion though as always these days. This was based on a couple of idiots commenting monkey emojis on Instagram (daily mail could only find literally 2 messages as examples)

Soldato
It's a miracle that Max's actions didn't kill Lewes' car during the contact, yet Max's car had the rear right wheel ripped off before he smashed into the barriers. For all the strength in F1 design, that strength is only on certain planes.

I think they said the left front wheel rim was cracked on Hamiltons car? So pretty hefty impact and guessing same on Max's, I think at least it was just the tyre that came off Max's rather than the whole wheel, kinda incredible how strong the suspension is on both cars really.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'd forgotten about this - It really shows Max for the aggressive, petulant and childish person he is. He needs to grow up and take some responsibility for his actions.

This is irrelevant, that was multiple seasons ago, Max has been much more mature on and off the grid. Hamilton had his dramas when he was so young too.

Drivers are always going to have drama when there is contact. This was a racing indcident. Max was always going to take the line eventually, Lewis by the end of the braking zone wasn't even alongside him enough to call it his. Max left room but not enough for Lewis to be so wide of the apex. The only bad part about this was the speed and resulting crash. Any slower corner and they would likely have carried on racing.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway, it's done now and Hamilton won. People attacking Max like he ran Hamilton off the road and stormed to a hollow victory, this is not like that in the slightest.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Just keep thinking what would James Hunt have done, Alain Prost, Schumacher...?

Prost wouldn't have gone for the move that Hamilton made. He'd have waited for something more clear-cut at a different point on the track. But every other top driver for the last 30-40 years would have done what Hamilton did. And many of them would have ended up in the barrier with Verstappen - it's to Hamilton's credit that he kept off the Red Bull enough that his own car wasn't minced in the contact.

Soldato
This is irrelevant, that was multiple seasons ago, Max has been much more mature on and off the grid. Hamilton had his dramas when he was so young too.

Drivers are always going to have drama when there is contact. This was a racing indcident. Max was always going to take the line eventually, Lewis by the end of the braking zone wasn't even alongside him enough to call it his. Max left room but not enough for Lewis to be so wide of the apex. The only bad part about this was the speed and resulting crash. Any slower corner and they would likely have carried on racing.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway, it's done now and Hamilton won. People attacking Max like he ran Hamilton off the road and stormed to a hollow victory, this is not like that in the slightest.
Hamilton has already avoided 3 crashes this year while having to jump out of the way of Max's overly agressive overtakes

Man of Honour
It's all getting a bit blown out of proportion though as always these days. This was based on a couple of idiots commenting monkey emojis on Instagram (daily mail could only find literally 2 messages as examples)

A mod on Reddit was saying that across the platform they had already deleted 6000 racist messages as of last night. Crazy.

Hamilton has already avoided 3 crashes this year while having to jump out of the way of Max's overly agressive overtakes

Like his dove bomb in Barcelona. Max just expects everyone to move out the way. It worked when he wasn’t in a championship fight, but the tactic wasn’t going to work forever, especially when Hamilton saw nothing to lose. He had already dodged his weaving multiple times.

Soldato
He gets a lot more than that, even from just posting non-F1 related things to social media. Delve down in to the replies of anything he posts and it's always there, hell, it's even in replies to YT videos, especially the small channels who post sub-60s clips which aren't as well moderated as the main F1/F1 news channels.

Soldato
It was and still is a racing incident for me.

For years Max's do-or-die style has worked for him. More often than not, the last few years, when he was racing Lewis it would often be just for the win. During those battles it made sense for Lewis to yield more often or at least race more cautiously around Max. He was always playing the long game for the WDC.

Now Lewis is chasing Max in the WDC he can't afford to always move out the way for Max when he is driving aggressively - the roles have swapped. It is Max who needs to start thinking of the points lead he has and maintaining that.

Ultimately I'm glad Max seems to be OK now he has been released from Hospital but he's just learned that Lewis will no longer jump out of the way when he is near him on track.

It's going to be spicy from here on out and I can't wait!

Commissario
Max has been much more mature on and off the grid.
He hasn't though - Look at any interview recently where he's not done as well as he thinks he should and he still has that sulky teenager look and mannerisms.

It was and still is a racing incident for me.
I've never said any different to this - That's exactly what it was and the drivers need to be allowed to race without fear of penalties when they're not deserved.

Associate
The state of the comments on here, Hamilton takes out his rival and gets a penalty, and you all blame other guy...

I wanted Hamilton to win but not like that, really disappointed in his attitude after race. He should be setting an example and showing sportsmanship. Not blaming the other guy and celebrating a hollow victory.

Speaks volumes about his character.

Soldato
I've never said any different to this - That's exactly what it was and the drivers need to be allowed to race without fear of penalties when they're not deserved.

Yeah you could just tell from the opening few corners that neither of these two were willing to yield. From memory LH backed out from 2 corners leading up to the incident. MV, probably, expected LH to give up - He didn't and it was a 50:50 with who would come off worse, unfortunately for MV, it was him.

Soldato
"“We’d failed the rim where we’d had the contact at the front-left,” Shovlin said. “So that would have been a DNF had it not been red-flagged."

hamilton must have hit max hard for that kind of damage.

Soldato
He hasn't though - Look at any interview recently where he's not done as well as he thinks he should and he still has that sulky teenager look and mannerisms.

Other F1 drivers in the race say it was Hamilton's fault.
And now we know that hamilton hit max harder then it looked.

Soldato
Which F1 drivers have said it was Lewis' fault? I've seen Alonso, Riccardo and Leclerc (along with Otmar) all say it was a racing incident.
Ultimately it doesn't matter. in the eyes of the stewards he committed a crime and served the time.

I do think people are more upset at the drivers involved than the actual incident. People wouldn't be getting this heated if it was P16 and P17 having the incident. But because it's P1 and P2 and Max and Lewis especially, people have lost all grounding in reality.

Genuinely seen people claim it was attempted murder :p

Soldato
The state of the comments on here, Hamilton takes out his rival and gets a penalty, and you all blame other guy...

I wanted Hamilton to win but not like that, really disappointed in his attitude after race. He should be setting an example and showing sportsmanship. Not blaming the other guy and celebrating a hollow victory.

Speaks volumes about his character.

LoL how long have you been following F1!?
Championship rivals clash all the time and celebrate, always have done and always will do.

If the move was sooooooooo dangerous why didn't he back off himself ? Two egos into one corner, both determined to win at all costs ,but that's motor racing and what drives the best racers see Schumacher and senna to name a few who would stop at nothing to win.

Do you cry about their unsporting behaviour? Going on how you are judging this racing incident.

Commissario
Be fair Feek, it was a right-hand corner. He had to turn right at some point!
Oh absolutely, of course he did but you can see him look in his mirror, steer left and then turn right again.

Despite that, I'm not blaming Max for this, I don't think blame should be apportioned, it was a racing incident and it's 50/50.

Soldato
Which F1 drivers have said it was Lewis' fault? I've seen Alonso, Riccardo and Leclerc (along with Otmar) all say it was a racing incident.
Ultimately it doesn't matter. in the eyes of the stewards he committed a crime and served the time.

I do think people are more upset at the drivers involved than the actual incident. People wouldn't be getting this heated if it was P16 and P17 having the incident. But because it's P1 and P2 and Max and Lewis especially, people have lost all grounding in reality.

Genuinely seen people claim it was attempted murder :p

Amen.

fez

fez

Caporegime
A mod on Reddit was saying that across the platform they had already deleted 6000 racist messages as of last night. Crazy.

The question is always "what is racist". Someone posting monkey or banana emojis is racist. Someone giving Hamilton abuse for the race in some peoples eyes is racist. You can see in this thread already, some people can't imagine why anyone could dislike Hamilton or think that he is at fault without it being racially driven. We live in a world of "micro-aggressions", "dog whistles", "unconscious bias" and any number of other completely unprovable things that people point to as racism so without facts and figures with context I put little value in these sort of things.

Reddit, much like twitter is a cesspit of anonymity and is world wide. Large parts of the world are racist, it's not a white person issue at all.

Who knows, maybe all 6000 of those posts are straight up racist but I find that hard to believe. There was an analysis on the football after the final and I think 47 racist tweets came from the UK out of hundreds and those hundreds represented about 0.005% of total tweets on the players involved. The positivity and support these sport people get quite literally swamps the negative side of things. Its horrible but there needs to be some perspective.

Back
Top Bottom