Poll: British Grand Prix 2022, Silverstone - Race 10

Rate the 2022 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
this is one of the reasons cant see Ferrari winning either title , they should have got 1 -2 and charles P1 on merit he was faster to close gap on max to get most out of the weekend

I don't think they should have at all. If anything RBR should have, both drivers were faster than the Ferrari. Of course Perez was hit by Charles, which scuppered his race.

Sainz' pace wasn't quick enough IMO for a 1-2. If everything went well. It would like have been a Charles and Max fight for the win.

Soldato
I don't think they should have at all. If anything RBR should have, both drivers were faster than the Ferrari. Of course Perez was hit by Charles, which scuppered his race.

Sainz' pace wasn't quick enough IMO for a 1-2. If everything went well. It would like have been a Charles and Max fight for the win.
not on about if no car was damaged etc it was handed to Ferrari they had the power on what they could do to get the maximum end to the race when the safety car came out , the others didnt Perez got lucky to get that pit stop and Lewis unlucky probably would have got 2nd if not figthing for 1st fresher hard tires and pace was looking good, hearing now they had 10 seconds to decide to pit charles for softs and on merit charles would have got P1 and Sainz would have had enough to hold onto 2nd worst case third

Last edited:
Soldato
Sainz is now well and truly in the mix with max and Charles, Charles is struggling with this concept.
Perez is also on a par with them so things are inevitably going to get a lot more sketchy, races are going to be determined by small events or actions or luck, whatever, its not about overall package now as Ferrari and rb and both drivers are so close.

Man of Honour
OP
Gasly did absolutely nothing wrong. He's completely entitled to try and outdrag a slow starting car away from the start.

Look at his positioning here:

gM2JJ21.png

Nothing wrong with that at all.

No, he doesn't. He's improved a lot this year, but this was a shocker for him. He's likely going to cop a race ban this year at some point too, giving Lawson a chance to stake his claim to that seat.

I thought it was telling that Tsunoda didn't get announced at the same time Gasly did, plenty of time to assess him v Lawson
Does anyone think Stroll would still have a seat if his dad didn’t own the team and wasn’t a major shareholder in AM?

Not a chance

Who’s likely to get Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren seat next season? He’s under delivering enormously and there must be a dozen F2 drivers who’d jump into that seat for Morrison shelf-stacker wages.

Pato O'Ward, not sure they would take a punt on an F2 driver that isn't part of their academy/juniors

Soldato
Verstappen’s chances at a podium disappeared after his floor got damaged.

Ferrari cost LeClerc a podium place twice. First, when they kept him behind a slower Sainz and second, when they didn’t give him fresh tyres under the later Safety Car.

Soldato
Sainz is now well and truly in the mix with max and Charles, Charles is struggling with this concept.
Perez is also on a par with them so things are inevitably going to get a lot more sketchy, races are going to be determined by small events or actions or luck, whatever, its not about overall package now as Ferrari and rb and both drivers are so close.
Redbull car is just faster look at the way Max was ahead before it got damaged , Ferrari need to do try to get some more straight line speed

Charles is still the faster driver he has been screwed by the team few times now

Soldato
not on about if no car was damaged etc it was handed to Ferrari they had the power on what they could do to get the maximum end to the race when the safety car came out , the others didnt Perez got lucky to get that pit stop and Lewis unlucky probably would have got 2nd if not figthing for 1st fresher hard tires and pace was looking good, hearing now they had 10 seconds to decide to pit charles for softs and on merit charles would have got P1 and Sainz would have had enough to hold onto 2nd worst case third
The choice for Charles was not straight forward as they didn't know everyone behind was going to pit. They couldn't be sure new tyres were better than track position.
Charles was unlucky, in hindsight stopping was a no brainer.

Soldato
I think what Max did was right on the edge of acceptable, and that is a drivers' job. So he is using the fullest extent of the rules to get the most out of the situation.
Is it "nice", no, but no-one is "nice" at the sharp end, and when the chips are down.
The problem is that Max does it every single time. Whether it's for P8 or P1. Running someone off the road is inherently dangerous in this sport. It only takes a sausage kerb or a spot of gravel to flip a car and turn it into a missile as we saw this weekend. Max repeatedly giving no quarter on 50/50 corners is just going to cause a bad accident at some point. Quote the rules all you want, but it's reckless driving and he should be punished for it, or at the very least reigned in by a few 5sec penalties here and there.
It more and more feels like the time difference should be "kept" to make it fairer.
I agree. We went round in circles on this after AD last year though. If there is a bad shunt the argument is that the cars need to bunch up to allow the track to be cleared. But perhaps it should just be a VSC or red flag. They seem keen on red flagging lately anyway... Perhaps the lower formulas can't do VSC? Anyone know? :confused:

Caporegime
Pato O'Ward, not sure they would take a punt on an F2 driver that isn't part of their academy/juniors

Is Pato really less of a punt? As well as taking away from their IndyCar efforts by removing their best driver from the American side of things, I'm not sure that IndyCar is really any better a preparation for F1 than going through the F3/F2 ranks.

Soldato
Yeah I know, but if you look at Canada he couldn't pull away, so it's small margins. Max has been winning just about every race he's finished but it feels closer now.
but the Ferrari with DRS still couldnt over take , we know if it was the other way round he would have no problem., this race if the car wasnt damaged he would have been long gone imo

Soldato
Is Pato really less of a punt? As well as taking away from their IndyCar efforts by removing their best driver from the American side of things, I'm not sure that IndyCar is really any better a preparation for F1 than going through the F3/F2 ranks.
I have to agree, they need someone with some pedigree in the f1 world, Albon or de fries are the ones who stand out, obviously Piastri.
It's strange how the driver market swings, we have gone from not enough seats to not enough quality drivers.

Soldato
I agree. We went round in circles on this after AD last year though. If there is a bad shunt the argument is that the cars need to bunch up to allow the track to be cleared. But perhaps it should just be a VSC or red flag. They seem keen on red flagging lately anyway... Perhaps the lower formulas can't do VSC? Anyone know? :confused:

F2, GP3, Porsche Supercup seem like they have VSC so I would envisage they all do. It's a shame the cars can't be stopped and left in place where they are (almost like a centrally controlled kill switch) but without being able to re-start them without a crew, this isn't practical either. Tyre blankets are going soon so tyre warming won't be a problem for much longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefully Charles does not lose the divers champ by less than 13 points, he was hard done by twice in a race where Max barely got some points due to floor damage. Yet Charles only gained 6(?) points on Max.

Man of Honour
Five winners from the weekend
Mercedes: unlucky to lose Russell early but Hamilton had real race winning pace and had better tyre wear than his competitors. On the right track they're back at the front of the pack.

The next few years will be interesting. Mercedes seem confident of their no pod concept. Which will have a longer potential evolutionary path, no pods or pods? If it’s no pods Mercedes are a year ahead of everyone else. They may be sacrificing this year to be ahead for several others. No one can seem to call it right now. I’m not watching the races, but I’m still enjoying the technical development side of F1.

Without porpoising no pods should be a clear advantage, but does potential porpoising limit any developmental gain of no pods? It’s interesting.

Man of Honour
OP

I think for the team he's less of a punt as he's been in the team, etc. They do seem mad keen to get an American in F1.
I just think if they axe Daniel they'll replace him with one of their "own" rather than taking on someone else's junior, although I guess their is a possibility they could take a Mercedes driver like De Vries... (I don't expect they would take Vandoorne back)

Back
Top Bottom