British Superyacht sinks off Siciliy

r4pm Interesting on site comment by Italian bbc journalist/expert on site about lesser stability&strength of aluminium versus wooden yachts, especially with broken mast she seems to indicate was fragile.
- a more detailed explanation somewhere ?

After the 1979 Fastnet race, the Joint Committee on Safety from Capsizing made the following recommendation: “The most significant contribution to the resistance to wave-induced capsize would be to increase the roll moment of inertia of yachts”. For a sailing yacht, adding mass at the top of the mast would increase roll inertia more than adding mass anywhere else (hulls are normally designed to support a given keel weight and depth, and adding additional weight to the keel is not recommended).

At the same time, various regulatory agencies and yacht racing bodies have firm guidelines, even rules, to ensure the highest possible Angle of Vanishing Stability (also know as Limit of Positive Stability). For a monohull, removing that same mass that we placed at the top of the mast, would have a more beneficial effect on the LPS than shifting the same amount of mass anywhere else on the boat.

Last edited:
A new identity on the Cayman Islands?

The Simpsons did it.

Strangely looks like him too.
Exactly what I’d come into the thread to post!

Jesus wept even the most conspiracy theory cynic will be struggling with trying to rationalise this one :cry:

Someone tell the shadowy 3 letter agency involved that it's no longer the 1980s and you cant just bump people off like you used to with no questions asked :rolleyes:

I was joking about it looking dodgy when I opened the thread but his co-defendant also dying today is very, very odd. (Albeit the accident happened on Sat, still odd)
Maybe they fell out with Putin at some point!

Last edited:
I think there's much simpler ways to accident somebody you don't like than literally making storms and tornados in the Med
Well if you want it to be noticed, not really.

Seems like we're well and truly on our way to cyberpunk levels of corporate indignity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom