Broadband

Caporegime
lucasade1 said:
Do I have to cancel with AOL first and don't they issue MAC's?

You don't, and they do. It might be worth contacting support, but you should be able to select any ISP.

Also i'm slightly concerned in the "Existing ADSL type" section as it says I can only migrate to a product equivalent to your existing one.

That's a hangup from days of old.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
You don't, and they do. It might be worth contacting support, but you should be able to select any ISP.
I will get it touch with support, AOL aren't in their drop down list but I will add it to the "other" section.

tolien said:
That's a hangup from days of old.
So i'm fine using the connection type: "Self installed 512k - 50:1 contention"?

Associate
Glad csmager has cleared up the BT Wholesale issue so many people get confused, BT should have called it another thing not involving the BT brand!...

When calling. To get the best Customer Service from AOL select the cancelations option,

9 out 10 times you get a bog standard csr rep BUT are of the Irish or Scottish type.... Even AOL know not to stick cancellations through to India.

They are not a special dept either just bog standard customer service so not just for cancelling.

Associate
bit of a noob but i'd appreciate the help i recently brought laptop computer and my parents are arsewipes and wont let me use there internet is it possible to have more than one broadband service provider to one phone line there on bt broadband and i was gonna go for wanadoo?if its possible i wouldnt bealoud to put a second line in so this my only option. and because there such up tight dinosaurs they won't even let me set up a wireless router so i can share there network .

Soldato
dustiestrat said:
bit of a noob but i'd appreciate the help i recently brought laptop computer and my parents are arsewipes and wont let me use there internet is it possible to have more than one broadband service provider to one phone line there on bt broadband and i was gonna go for wanadoo?if its possible i wouldnt bealoud to put a second line in so this my only option. and because there such up tight dinosaurs they won't even let me set up a wireless router so i can share there network .
I don't believe it is possible as the service is 'tied' to your line, hence often checkers will show that you are already ADSL active.

Soldato
smids said:
I don't believe it is possible as the service is 'tied' to your line, hence often checkers will show that you are already ADSL active.
It isn't possible - you'd need two lines.

Do your parents have any particular reason for stopping you using the internet?

Associate
nope just like to be difficult there type of ppl who think that because bt sent the usb adsl modem they no best i cant possibly ever be right in my house i mean comon sense would say that bt send out the cheapest modem they can find go figure i'll have to try persuade them .

Soldato
OP
dustiestrat said:
What does that have to do with my thread?

I rang up AOL today and spoken to their cancelation dept. After saying how I was going to leave etc. They have now managed to place an order with BT for 1Mbit. Just shows what you have to do to get action with AOL =/

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
Why didnt you just go onto max, going to 1mbit is completely pointless? :confused:
Because they don't recognise that I can get max, The BT checker doesn't say that I can get anymore than 1Mbit and to AOL the BT checker is their bible. 1Mbit will keep me happy for a while though :)

Oh and the ADSL max checker says I can't get much more than 1Mbit anyway due to my SNR etc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You probably would get much more though, my line is utterly rubbish and i am synced at 3mbit and getting around 315KB/s downstream! :)

As far as getting it goes, everyone can get max, there are no stipulations.

Soldato
Jez said:
You probably would get much more though, my line is utterly rubbish and i am synced at 3mbit and getting around 315KB/s downstream! :)

As far as getting it goes, everyone can get max, there are no stipulations.
Yeah, because max means they remove all original criteria which needed to be met. If you get 1Mbit now, surely you'll hit at least 2Mbit. I was on 1Mbit but currently get about 5.5Mbits - you see - I couldn't even get 2Mbit before because of the stupid regulations, even though my line could easily cope however, now I far exceed that.

Associate
lucasade1 said:
Because they don't recognise that I can get max, The BT checker doesn't say that I can get anymore than 1Mbit and to AOL the BT checker is their bible. 1Mbit will keep me happy for a while though :)

Oh and the ADSL max checker says I can't get much more than 1Mbit anyway due to my SNR etc.
I was in exactly the same situation with AOL and after getting no where I decided to migrate to Zen and now I'm on Max DSL with a 4.5 Mb sync though my data speed hasn't increased yet but I should get at least 3 Mb and possibly a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom