Brought vs bought

Caporegime
People are just idiots.

I also regularly see confusion with 'lose' and 'loose' on these forums.

Stupid, stupid everywhere.

The other thing is look at TV presenters.

A lot of these people are misusing the English language themselves.

If those people are our examples, then it's not surprising that so many people can't write or speak proper, like.

Eg every single football pundit. They all say things like, "As a team they done the job they set out to." None of these people have heard of "did", hence they never use it.

Associate
People are just idiots.

Haha! Yes! The loose/lose thing annoys the living daylights out of me! The there/their thing and 'could have' instead of 'could have' really get on my nerves too.

But nothing... NOTHING gets on my nerves as much as those who are too lazy or incapable of writing any full words and strt 2 wrt lk ths tht rly anys me.

Last edited:
Soldato

If those people are our examples, then it's not surprising that so many people can't write or speak proper, like.

Eg every single football pundit. They all say things like, "As a team they done the job they set out to." None of these people have heard of "did", hence they never use it.

Spoken word is different to written though.

Being a Bristol boy, I sure do not speak how I write!

V F

V F

Soldato
There their, I'm just glad you bought this to my attention. That'll be £5 please.

Don't get me started on how stupid some people can be with their grammar. The sheer number of grammatical and spelling errors in CV's that hit my desk regularly is simply astounding - into the bin they go!

It is funny reading the job applicants for Sky/News and such. Have you noticed the endless mistakes in just about every form for broadcasting? As well as most news articles/live tickers/BBC text.

Let alone the amount that cannot to count the runtime for the Sky Movies sections. Films finishing 20 - 40 minutes according to what Sky thinks.

Does anyone remember this? http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/mar/15/council-ban-apostrophes-street-signs

A lot of them make up their own words and lingo. As most of their lives are on social media. They lower themselves the way how everyone else expresses themselves.

Soldato
My brother says "bot" instead of "but", he's been doing it for so long I don't remember when it started.

I went to a friends house once and she was doing maths homework with her son. I kept over hearing a word, "coy-in", curiously I went over to observe and they were doing sums involving money, then I figured it out. Coins!. She was late 30's at the time too, close to 40 years she's been saying coy-ins. Her kids said it that way too until I told them.

My, Sister, she uses a remolt control for her TV. At least she is aware of it.

My, Mum. Has anyone heard of a currier? meaning courier. She can't say code either and says cold instead.

Associate
I have worked in housing for many years, as have many of my colleagues who still insist on declaring that people are not 'legible' for housing.

You determine eligibility every day of your working life yet you cannot say the damn word..?

I despair...

Then I let it all go... best that way (or I vent semi-anonymously on internet forums).

Associate
People are just idiots.

That is a brutal one. The similarity in sound to 'choose' is what catches people out - it is a different tense in this case, if you think of 'chose' (choose/chose, [loose]/lose/lost).

It's something you need to have been taught (and remember!).

Back
Top Bottom