BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
So I shouldn’t get my hopes up on getting full fibre anytime soon ? I thought maybe they just haven’t got to the end of the street yet or in my case start of street.
To give one idea on timing. We had a new pole put in near the house ready for FTTP. It was 8 months before we were connected. It can take a while.

Man of Honour
After my increased latency and jitter post GEA migration, Zen have said whilst they find no fault on my line, they are going to migrate me back to BTW which I'm pretty happy about.

Soldato
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, we had Toob installed yesterday, I'm leaving VirginMedia not because they're bad but now have become too expensive, £59 for us supplying broadband only. In the honeymoon period it was about £28pm and I'm a cheapskate. It would have been better if Toob had sent a surveyor around prior to the installation as the cable needed routing through thick undergrowth in the front garden and the installer made a bit of a mess doing it. Not his fault at all, he was excellent in all other respects but a prior inspection would have allowed me to create space for routing through the undergrowth in perhaps a more aesthetic manner.
Anyway, I did an Ookla speedtest on my mobile this afternoon:

My point is this was done through two thick internal walls. The Toob device is in my study and placed in modem mode and routed with Cat5 cable to my Asus RT-Ac86u in the same room. This is in Asus AI Mesh with a second RT-Ac86u in the living room through the two thick walls. According to WiFi Analyzer app the signal strength at the primary wifi router is -21dBm with 5 star signal quality and at the secondary wifi router in mesh mode it's -34dBm, also with 5 star signal quality. Now I know almost nothing about networking compared to most on here but these figures look pretty good to me.

Just tested by the primary Asus router in my study:

Soldato
Left BT a while ago and returned the hub using their bag.
Now there telling me they will charge me for it as they haven't received it.
I cancelled my direct debit is that enough to stop them charging me.
And yes I have sent them the tracking number that doesn't seem to have worked.

Soldato
Left BT a while ago and returned the hub using their bag.
Now there telling me they will charge me for it as they haven't received it.
I cancelled my direct debit is that enough to stop them charging me.
And yes I have sent them the tracking number that doesn't seem to have worked.

If you track the delivery, what does it say? Royal Mail managed to lose the package when I returned a Hub to BT and when I used the live chat with BT they checked the tracking, said that it was lost in transit and they would mark it as returned. A minute or so later I got an email from BT saying they had received my return,

Soldato
If you track the delivery, what does it say? Royal Mail managed to lose the package when I returned a Hub to BT and when I used the live chat with BT they checked the tracking, said that it was lost in transit and they would mark it as returned. A minute or so later I got an email from BT saying they had received my return,
Says it was delivered on the 27th, I posted it on the 24th.
BT are beyond annoying.

As long as cancelling the direct debit is enough I'll leave them to it.

Caporegime
Had the 900Mbps Sky for about a week now, not really that impressed. Nothing (apart from the fantabulous Steam) will get anywhere near maxing the connection out. XBox still trundles along at around 500-600Mbps, PlayStation and Ubisoft about 70MBytes/sec and Steam is the only one with 100MB/sec. Bit lacklustre overall.

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick and it's designed more for busy households with multiple people doing different things at the same time rather than just one person trying to max the connection out.

Soldato
Had the 900Mbps Sky for about a week now, not really that impressed. Nothing (apart from the fantabulous Steam) will get anywhere near maxing the connection out. XBox still trundles along at around 500-600Mbps, PlayStation and Ubisoft about 70MBytes/sec and Steam is the only one with 100MB/sec. Bit lacklustre overall.

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick and it's designed more for busy households with multiple people doing different things at the same time rather than just one person trying to max the connection out.
It’s really nice when someone is honest about this. I had the 900/100 service from BT and now I have 1000/1000 from Upp simply because I want the upload speed rather than download. Being able to use the cloud as if it was a local NAS is just amazing.

And when you want to download a bunch of films to your iPad if you’re off on holiday then you’ll see the difference.

Soldato

There's a fair few things that won't deliver full speeds through my Sky 500mb connection. It's more than ample for everything I do really. A 60GB Steam download is still quick enough not to ruin my day.

Caporegime
But yes in general the faster services are geared towards multiple users (and the advertising reflects this) than being able to get a big number on a single download. If you think about how relatively common gigabit services are now in people's homes it's just not reasonable to expect every CDN to be able to fill your pipe up.

Soldato
Like most things it's only as fast as the slowest link. If a service provider is limiting speed on their side you're out of luck. I have 500Mbps and have see bottlenecks with much slower connections, hence I didn't bother with the 900Mbps service. I'd rather have more upload speed, that seems to be more useful at this point.

Soldato
Is there a technical reason for upload being lower? As in a difference in the hardware requirements for the ISPs? If not it would sure be nice to have a few different options, even a slider you could set with the ISP on where the bandwidth goes, so on a high end fttp you could go 900 down 100 up or 500 down 500 up etc.

Back
Top Bottom